AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

I agree about Rick, but I'm pretty sure the appeal about Breaking Bad was the fact that Walter White crossed that line at one point.

But there was an argument I remember along the lines of "If you're 'rooting' for Walt you're a horrible person and Why does everybody hate Skylar so much" when it forgets that the show was basically about Walt's journey and that's why he even when was still a murderous drug dealer, he was the show's protagonist.

• Like 1

Rick is a product of his environment in which survival has encompassed him and has caused him to do some questionable things, but he still has a moral tether and tries to do what's best for his group.

Walt started doing questionable things in order to protect his family after his untimely demise, but became a greedy, murderous asshole that completely lost sight of his initial goal and became a terrible person.

Time will tell if the same happens to Rick, but to this point there is no comparison. Walt was a bad person and rooting for him was not exactly the best thing to do. Rick remains on path to meet his goal and continues to try to do right by his people. Mental issues regarding the present situation are not helping in his decision making. In terms of who to root for? Survivor in a terrible world experiencing PTSD trumps murderous, greedy drug kingpin.

• Like 5

I was so fucking stoked when Michonne knocked Rick out. I also found myself wanting to cheer the wife beater over him, this is how shit TWD is at character portrayal.

The drunk who beats his wife and possibly his kid is the more appealing character to you?

Oh, I'd beat the shit out of Pete(?) too, I've just really wanted to see somebody kick Rick's head in for SO LONG.

I was so fucking stoked when Michonne knocked Rick out. I also found myself wanting to cheer the wife beater over him, this is how shit TWD is at character portrayal.

The drunk who beats his wife and possibly his kid is the more appealing character to you?

Oh, I'd beat the shit out of Pete(?) too, I've just really wanted to see somebody kick Rick's head in for SO LONG.

Ok I can totally see that

Interesting point someone raised on Reddit.

It seems to me that Michonne's knock out of Rick was the perfect ending to his speech in that it demonstrated exactly what he was trying to explain.

The people of Alexadria stood around Rick, wishing that he didn't have a gun, wishing that he wasn't among them, wishing, perhaps, that they had never let him in to begin with, but they're paralyzed by fear and inaction, able to do nothing except plead with him. Michonne, representing Rick's group, knows what needs to be done, is decisive, takes action, and "saves" everyone from the apparent threat of Rick, all while demonstrating his exact point in the process.

• Like 1

Or it could be that everything Rick was saying is completely crazy and Michonne was shutting him up so he didn't put the group in jeopardy of getting exiled from Alexandria.

I mean, a lot of is being made by fans of the show that the citizens of Alexandria are naïve, because they don't know the realities of the virus. But they've existed in the same world that everyone else has and seem to be doing a lot better than Rick's group. I'm not saying that either side is right or wrong, but I think especially because we've looked at the narrative from the groups perspective versus Alexandria's perspective, we are inclined to believe Rick. However, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

Or it could be that everything Rick was saying is completely crazy and Michonne was shutting him up so he didn't put the group in jeopardy of getting exiled from Alexandria.

Nobody's saying it wasn't, just that it was an interesting thing to note that it just so happened that her actions sort of proved his point.

Oh I agree. I think the storyline direction going forward is interesting. There are a number of ways to sort of develop the narrative. My two cents is that Michonne will likely be crafted as the sort of middle ground between Rick's trigger happy approach to the new world and Alexandria remote naïveté. I thought Michonne was absolutely right to trust Aaron from the get-go and Rick went full "I will shoot you in the head if they aren't back in 50 minutes". I think Michonne realizes the world is a terrible place, however, at a certain point you do need to trust somebody or something in order to survive. You can't go guns ablazing in every circumstance.

I mean, a lot of is being made by fans of the show that the citizens of Alexandria are naïve, because they don't know the realities of the virus. But they've existed in the same world that everyone else has and seem to be doing a lot better than Rick's group. I'm not saying that either side is right or wrong, but I think especially because we've looked at the narrative from the groups perspective versus Alexandria's perspective, we are inclined to believe Rick. However, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

They've been behind close walls. Same world, yes, but it's a bit of a stretch to think they fully understand what it's like being out there. We don't know if there's more to the Alexandria story and surviving is surviving, so I agree with you that neither are really right.

This is all part of Rick's master plan to toughen them up!

But they've existed in the same world that everyone else has and seem to be doing a lot better than Rick's group.

Technically they have, but in reality no .... they've had food, shelter, protection, water, etc from the get go even to the point of it being isolated as it was an experimental development and the entire area was basically evacuated early on.

That's a stark contrast to what the world has turned into in virtually every other corner.

But they've existed in the same world that everyone else has and seem to be doing a lot better than Rick's group.

Technically they have, but in reality no .... they've had food, shelter, protection, water, etc from the get go even to the point of it being isolated as it was an experimental development and the entire area was basically evacuated early on.

That's a stark contrast to what the world has turned into in virtually every other corner.

Plus, they have limited resources that are depleting and that's why they brought in Rick's group. They knew the longer they survived, the harder it would be to successfully find supplies and that's why brought in a group that has been surviving on their own for years in the wild.

• Like 1

The prequel will be a 30 minute series featuring Rick and Shane's adventures writing tickets for speeding, parking, jaywalking and littering. Until the special 1 hour episode where they find someone growing marijuana in their back yard and Shane has to stop Rick from calling in a SWAT team to deal with it. Also, each episode will have either Rick, Shane or Lori yelling at Carl to get back in either the car or house.