AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

It irks me more because I liked the relationship developing between Daryl and Carol that suddenly dropped dead around the same time the rumours of Daryl being gay came out. It was the most natural relationship the show had created, but it's gone all but forgotten this season.

The idea of making Daryl gay was dumb. To me, you don't make a character gay simply because you get to season 5 and you realize "oh shit, we don't really have that much representation on our show, lets change that!" As a viewer, I would just think that the writing was terrible because it took 5 seasons for you to reference something quite significant about a character.

I don't know, with a bit of decent writing you could build to it eventually. He's a good old boy with a racist brother, I don't think it's a stretch to think Merle probably wouldn't have approved of him being gay and early Daryl was enthralled with him. I'm not saying they should go for it (as above, his relationship with Carol is interesting and their names rhyme...), but it could be done in a non-patronising way if they did.

• Like 1

I agree that it could have been written well, but had it been teased at or referenced up until the fifth season. At this point, we know a lot about these characters, their lives before the zombies, and about their world view after. To me, all of the sudden deciding Daryl is gay just poor writing. I don't even think the story would be patronising; I'm all for diverse casting and characters. But I want them to be well written and sensible. As an audience member, it would be so jarring to have gone 5 seasons without once referencing it and than all of the sudden making it a part of the show.

In fairness, not every gay guy goes around proclaiming it. I can be pretty damn camp, but even then people have been surprised when years down the line I've told them that I'm bi (I only mention it if it happens to come up in natural conversation, it was more of a thing on here because it was a place I felt safe mentioning it outside of "real life"). It's not as personality defining to some people as it is to others, and I can more than understand someone who grew up in the american south with a very hostile-to-minorities brother learning not to talk about it.

In fairness, not every gay guy goes around proclaiming it. I can be pretty damn camp, but even then people have been surprised when years down the line I've told them that I'm bi (I only mention it if it happens to come up in natural conversation, it was more of a thing on here because it was a place I felt safe mentioning it outside of "real life"). It's not as personality defining to some people as it is to others, and I can more than understand someone who grew up in the american south with a very hostile-to-minorities brother learning not to talk about it.

I agree. I'm not necessarily stating that Daryl would be camp or would have to be lusting after Tyrese from a distance, I just think as a viewer, if the intent was always for Daryl to be gay all along, there should have been hints about it in the narrative. I'm not saying he has to walk up to Rick and say "hey, there is a hot spring over there, maybe we could take a dip? ;)", but to me it would just seem crazy out of left field. I'm not saying every portion of one's character needs to be laidout at the beginning of the story, but I would find it hard to believe as a viewer. I'd rather they just introduce a new character who they can build up from the ground and always intend for that to be his character.

I find it impossible to believe that having spent several years with somebody in quite small confines, the question didn't come up about Daryl's personal life or what he was like before the zombies. Especially between him and Carol.

And if the answer is, he would just lie about it or quickly change the subject or reply that he was very personal about himself, than show that to us as an audience. At least than we have a frame of reference for than understanding Daryl being gay. Show us him concocting a terrible lie or dismissing the question or beating around the bush. "Oh, that is right, Daryl always changed the subject when anyone asked him about that" or "Daryl's story about his ex-girlfriend always seemed strange". As an audience, it would be jarring for Daryl to suddenly be something that wasn't at all hinted about or brought up for several years.

I never remember Daryl ever showing any kind of sexual feelings towards anyone on the show though. Even if they did go with Daryl being gay, I don't think it would have been out of left field because anytime there was any "emotional show" from Daryl, there was never anything sexual. You never saw Daryl try to kiss Beth or Carol or even hint at doing anything with them. I think that was done intentionally because Daryl is an unusual character.

I agree with you for the most part (I do think it'd be lazy writing, but not even close to the worst the show's seen), but I'd still rather it just not have be mentioned than them do that awkward thing where he mentions his "partner" in an ambiguous but not at all ambiguous way. It'd be retroactive writing I could potentially forgive in my head canon, and not, at least, something ridiculous like Tyrese imagining The Governor because they wanted to use him for a guest spot this season.

Like you say though, I'd rather they just stick with Caryl (that's right, I'm portmanteauing this sumbitch) and have the new gay characters be their token gay people if that's what they're going for.

EDIT: That was to Pete.

• Like 1

To be honest, Daryl came across more as asexual more than anything. I can't even remember the remotest hint of any sort of tension, or even look/glance or whatever, alluding to... well... anything.

• Like 2

I think the thing about Daryl is, he is probably the most popular character, but he is also quite underdeveloped. I think that is what makes him so popular. There is mystery and intrigue to him. Once we stick around with a character for too long and get to know them a bit too much (hi, Andrea!) people tend to start hating them.

It seems a strange one to me as Daryl is the closest thing to a sex symbol the show has. I mean, him being a gay character probably won't change much in the grand scheme of things but it may shatter the illusion for some female fans.

I'd kind of like someone to leave the group, not by death. Like, has anyone in the show just left the group permanently by choice? Seems weird that they've got five seasons and no-one's decided that going it alone might be a decent option, or done something so heinous that they had to be kicked out.

I'd kind of like someone to leave the group, not by death. Like, has anyone in the show just left the group permanently by choice? Seems weird that they've got five seasons and no-one's decided that going it alone might be a decent option, or done something so heinous that they had to be kicked out.

In the first season that one lady decided to stay at the CDC. Does that count? I also don't see how going alone could possibly be a decent option for anyone. I guess Carol got kicked out but it doesn't count since they let her back in

CSI: Las Vegas is on it's fifteenth season. Smallville was ten years, Friends was ten years, Frasier ten, Cheers ten, Law & Order SVU fifteen years, South Park seventeen years.

Walking Dead fits in nicely with that grouping as a "television phenomenon." I don't think Walking Dead will be working towards an "end game" anytime soon.

CSI: Las Vegas is on it's fifteenth season. Smallville was ten years, Friends was ten years, Frasier ten, Cheers ten, Law & Order SVU fifteen years, South Park seventeen years.

Walking Dead fits in nicely with that grouping as a "television phenomenon." I don't think Walking Dead will be working towards an "end game" anytime soon.

Most of those shows don't have an on-going, consistent story line. You could watch any random episode and not feel lost at all. The Walking Dead is VERY different in that respect. And they SHOULD be working towards an End Game, even if it's 3 or 4 years from now.