Double Cross Wrestling

user posted image

Double Cross Wrestling

Tommy Dreamer Released From WWE

Former ECW star Tommy Dreamer has been released from his contract by World Wrestling Entertainment earlier this morning. The company line is the usual 'We wish him all the best', but rumors are coming out that Dreamer in fact did not leave under the best of situations, as he wanted out, and WWE did not want to let him leave.

Dreamer has already been linked with rumors of Terry Funk's start-up promotion, Double Cross Wrestling.

Double Cross Wrestling a Reality

Rumors of a fed headed by legend Terry Funk and ECW alum Tommy Dreamer have become a reality today, as the company put out a press release announcing their website (doublecrosswrestling.com), and their first show, to be held September 25th.

Announced for the show are Funk and Dreamer, along with The Sandman, 'Dr. Death' Steve Williams, and 4 others in a two show tournament for the Texas State Heavyweight Title.

user posted image

Texas State Heavyweight Championship Tournament

Seedings

user posted image

Terry Funk

To list 'The Hardcore Living Legend's' accomplishments would take pages, so we'll keep it short. A former National Wrestling Alliance World Heavyweight Champion. Two times the Extreme Championship Wrestling World Heavyweight Champion. Holder of the USWA Unified Title. The list goes on and on, but it will not be title belts that the Funker is remembered for. No, it will be his never say die attitude, his willingness to throw caution to the wind and put his body on the line, night in and night out, long after the rest of his generation have hung up the boots and gone out to pasture. The most decorated, at least in North America, of the entrants, Terry Funk is the clear number one seed.

user posted image

Barry Windham

'The Widowmaker'. That name aptly describes the six foot six native of Sweetwater, Texas. At one time a member of the illustrious Four Horsemen, you can bet that Windham has learned the tricks to go along with his size. Never one to play nice in the ring, Windham's crushing Lariat has brought him numerous tag team title reigns across the US, as well as singles success as a former NWA North American Heavyweight Champion, and a NWA World Heavyweight Champion in his own right. Windham's accomplishments have brought him the number two seed in this single elimination tournament.

user posted image

'Dr. Death' Steve Williams

Although a recent stint in the now defunct Major League Wrestling has brought Williams back into the minds of US wrestling fans, Dr. Death made his name in All Japan Pro Wrestling, garnering six reigns as a AJPW World Tag Team Champion, with various partners, to go along with another reign as one half of a NWA World Tag Team Championship team. Not a slouch in the singles department either, Williams has held the coveted AJPW Triple Crown as well. Back in the states, and close to his old stomping grounds of Oklahoma, Dr. Death is looking to make men fear his name once again, and this has gained him the third seed in our tournament.

user posted image

The Sandman

Known for his unorthodox pre-game ritual, a six pack and a smoke, The Sandman rose to fame in the much loved Philidelphia promotion, Extreme Championship Wrestling. A five time holder of ECW's World Heavyweight Title, Sandman was as much the face of that promotion as anyman not named Tommy Dreamer. Owing a few favors to some old friends, Sandman has made his way to the Lone Star State, and the wins and accolades that earned him the name 'The Hardcore Icon', have also placed him squarely in the top half of the bracket as the number four seed.

user posted image

Ron Simmons

It was once said, 'Don't step to Ron', and that is good advice, for anyman that can best the man they call Vader with a title on the line, is a man that knows his way around a ring. Simmons did just that in 1992, winning the World Championship Wrestling World Heavyweight Title in the process. More known for his tag team exploits in the recent past, Simmons is back in the singles ranks. His work in the wrestling ring, as well as his status as a former NCAA All-American, have put him in at the number five slot, and a dance with The Sandman is in his future.

user posted image

Tommy Dreamer w/ Beulah

Always the brides maid, and never the bride. Such has been said about Tommy Dreamer, who, though the foundation upon which Extreme Championship Wrestling was built, was not able to claim their World title save for one fleeting moment. The 'Innovator of Violence' never let it get him down however, as while singles glory was never in his grasp, he was a three time ECW World Tag Team Champion, and took part in one of, if not the, epic feud of the 90s. With his wife Beulah at his side, Tommy is looking to grab the brass ring, before time runs out.

user posted image

Saturn

Returning to the ring after an absence due to an injury resulting from a heroic deed of rescuing a woman from an attacker, Saturn clocks in as the number seven seed, but definetly the most eccentric. While he's not talking to mops or wearing skirts here in 2XW, he is looking to put the hurt on his opponents with the strangely named 3 Handled, Moss Covered, Family Credenza. A former World Championship Wrestling Television Champion, as well as a three time ECW World Tag Team Champion with John Kronus as The Eliminators, Saturn is all about business now, and out to upset the bigger names.

user posted image

Kanyon

WHO BETTA THEN KANYON? Well, that remains to be seen, as the youngest of our tournament competitors, just edging out Tommy Dreamer, clocks in as the final man on our list. The second of our entrants to not hold a recognized world heavyweight title, Kanyon's claim to fame was a run as WCW's United States Champion, as well as a runs as WCW World Tag Team Champion, and WWF/E World Tag Team Champion. Looking to make his mark in Texas, Kanyon squares off with the man himself, Terry Funk.

First Round Matches

To Be Held at Texas Two Step, September 25th

Terry Funk versus Kanyon

Barry Windham versus Saturn

'Dr. Death' Steve Williams versus Tommy Dreamer

The Sandman versus Ron Simmons

Also scheduled for Texas Two Step

Koko B. Ware and Chilly Willy versus 'Bulldozer' Brian Lee and Payne

The Urban Outlaws Marshall and Mike Knox versus 'The Panther' Seth Shai and Icarus

No Disqualification, No Countout, Falls Count Anywhere

Abdullah the Butcher versus 'Sick' Scott Vick

Tickets $20 at the door, $25 for priority front row seating

Live from the Blue Light in Amarillo, Texas

credit ~ doublecrosswrestling.com

Guest Keeping it Country

I have only one question for you syco: With a great possibility for building a stupendous diary, will this one live? Only time can tell.

I like the old school roster, although you would have to wonder how long they can wrestle before they start retireing. It'd be cool to see a few younger talents, but they might just come in later.

Tommy Dreamer to lose in the final to Terry Funk, just missing out on that elusive World Title victory. ^_^

By the way, roster is intriguing to see what you do with it, and also I'm interested to see if you'll bring in guys like London, AmDrag and Spanky with the Texas theme thats going on up in here.

I really wanna see you follow through with this Syco. This is your best idea in awhile and I honestly don't think you'll top it any time soon. So stick with it, or the Funks are gonna get you with the branding iron.

First Round Matches

Terry Funk versus Kanyon

The Urban Outlaws Marshall and Mike Knox versus 'The Panther' Seth Shai and Icarus

Tickets $20 at the door, $25 for priority front row seating

Live from the Blue Light in Amarillo, Texas

Looks to be a great show. I hope that Funk wins the title, but that would be too obvious. I'm guessing your gonna have someone like Saturn or Kanyon win, since they are the underdogs. I also like the Abby match, as Vick will get distroyed (hopefully) and get the forking of a lifetime. Well anyways, hopefully you stick with this, as your a good writer, but have a short attention span (same as me, except for the good writer part :D )

Edited by Hellfire065

Like i said on MSN, some of the roster is unrealistic for a Texas based diary, that aside, the only particpant i dont like in the tournament is Sandman. IMO he doesnt fit in at all, and lets the whole tourny down, id be happy to watch every match but his, and he most definately does not deserve to make it past the first round, he's absolutely worthless in the ring. Id love to see Funk win, though that's probably not going to happen, same with Ron, i love the guy, dont think he'll win though, my pick is Williams or Windham, please not Sandman.

Also, i know you're not building the fed on work-rate, but why icarus and seth shai? esp. shai, you always use that guy :P Sub someone in that match and id be that card, great name for the fed though (Y) oh and DCW > 2XW, i cant imagine a texas fed with such a modern name, like 2XW, it sounds like a hardcore fed, DCW sounds much more traditional, texan ;) TCW anyone?

Guest Kingy

Winners in italics

Terry Funk versus Kanyon

Saturn to win the tournament...........please? :)

Like i said on MSN, some of the roster is unrealistic for a Texas based diary, that aside, the only particpant i dont like in the tournament is Sandman. IMO he doesnt fit in at all, and lets the whole tourny down, id be happy to watch every match but his, and he most definately does not deserve to make it past the first round, he's absolutely worthless in the ring. Id love to see Funk win, though that's probably not going to happen, same with Ron, i love the guy, dont think he'll win though, my pick is Williams or Windham, please not Sandman.

Also, i know you're not building the fed on work-rate, but why icarus and seth shai? esp. shai, you always use that guy :P Sub someone in that match and id be that card, great name for the fed though (Y) oh and DCW > 2XW, i cant imagine a texas fed with such a modern name, like 2XW, it sounds like a hardcore fed, DCW sounds much more traditional, texan ;) TCW anyone?

I don't normally explain my booking, but I will now. Seth Shai is a Texas guy, from all accounts I have on him. I'm not sure if Icarus is the CHIKARA Pro one, but I like his look, and a cheap worker is not much of a stretch, we'll just call him a random indy guy.

Sandman is friends with both Dreamer and Funk, and is here as a favor to them. He might not be great in the ring, but he is over, and fans love to see him.

I picked 2XW because in some aspects this IS a hardcore fed. This is Terry Funk we're talking about, and from what I've seen, Funk has always been a forward looking man. 2XW is not that hard of a stretch, and I hate the look of DCW.

Terry Funk versus Kanyon

This is lookin' good

First Round Matches

Terry Funk versus Kanyon

I like what you have thus far. It takes a lot to get me back into a diary here in The Dome, but this looks good. Good luck.

TGC

Edited by thegodcomplex