General Television Thread

Hellfire

So that I don't ruin Lost for Split...

Not Pennys Boat is totally one of the best moments in TV history for me. Looking back at the episode list, I wonder if I'm thinking of Season 4. I don't know. One of those two series was annoying as fuck to watch as it aired because it felt so drawn out. I mean, Lost is known for their answers to usually ask more questions, but some of the stuff in one of those two series felt so "Oh ffs. Just get it over with already."

I think it may be both. It was just where I think the show was having a hard time evolving into the more action oriented drama it became. I mean, you look at some episodes from Series 1 and compare them to anything around Series 3 and above and it's almost like an entirely different show in terms of how much happens. I think I prefer the second series to most others. It was still more about the survivors and living on a deserted Island like the first series was, but it had the beginnings of the mysterious stuff and the introduction of the computer, which I think was one of my favourite parts of Lost. Not to mention the addition of Mr. Eko, "Henry Gale" and 100% less Boone. shifty.gif

Series 3 was good fun on DVD, it was just watching it every week it felt ridiculously dragged out, but if you watch it as a whole the character arcs flow very well, plus it's the first series to have Desmond as a series regular and is basically just one big show dedicated to him and Charlie, which was fine for me because they are my two favourite characters.

Didn't Season 3 also contain the epic, if short-lived, Charlie heel turn due to Locke punching the fuck out of him? Or am I thinking of Season 2? And yes, I do genuinely classify it as a heel turn.

blush.gif

Yeah, I think the spacing of a lot of the episodes pissed me off the most. You'd have an awesome episode about Sawyer & Kate... then you'd go back to the other storylines for like 2 weeks, which was awful planning. Also, way too many Jack flashbacks. I know there were only like 3, but that's way too many for me. >_>

Also, I fucking love that Charlie scene, but one of my all time favourites was Sawyer getting Anthony Cooper to read his letter. Seriously bone chilling stuff. wub.gif

Season 2 was probably my favourite of Lost. I didn't start watching until the 5th series was about 3 episodes in, so I bulk-watched the firt 4 series and I remember the 2nd was when I went from "this is pretty good shit" to "OMFGWTFHAVEIBEENMISSING!!!!!111!!!1111!

I really liked Season 3 as well though. I loved the whole Sawyer/Kate thing. I'd say 4 was my least favourite, then 5 really picked up the slack again. 6 so far has been on and off. I'll probably change my mind when I bulk watch it, but I'm sure I was never as disappointed as I have been with some episodes this season at any point through 5.

I've been working so I didn't get a chance to chime in on the upfronts so far. Anyways, a couple thoughts:

NBC - Fairly impressed, looks like they're actually managing to put their best foot forward on just about every night. I question the logic of putting two hours of Biggest Loser together where it will serve as just one strong lead-in instead of 2. On Monday The Event's marketing is smart and catchy, and if the show is any good it could be a strong ratings draw with only FOX newcomer Lonestar as competition for drama viewers. Undercovers should be good against FOX's Lie to Me, ABC's comedies and CBS' reality. A new Law & Order: Los Angeles with new contracts for all involved should be much more cost effective than the original, and the change of scenery in Los Angeles could make things interesting. Outsourced evidently tested extremely well and the network is very high on it, so giving it the post Office slot is a no-brainer. I understand that Parks & Recreation developed by leaps and bounds creatively last year, I agree. But it's the lowest rated of any of the network's returning shows. On the lowest rated network. Anyway they've got a bunch of other sitcoms on tap, so there's a good chance that Parks & Recreation actually gets to launch an entirely new block of comedies on another night sometime this year. Love Bites could be a breakout with women if Americans are interested in watching an anthology series, and it's smart that they're playing up the Love, Actually ties. School Pride is an obvious pick for Fridays in the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition mold, but I'm not sure that day is where Outlaw belongs. Of the midseason shows, The Cape looks outstanding and the comedies all seem charming. Paul Reiser is a wildcard but the full trailer is pretty good. May not be a sensational comedy but the appeal will be broad, which is exactly what the network needs right now. Solid B+

FOX - A couple of years ago, FOX would launch a bunch of new scripted shows in the fall, half of them would be gone by the beginning of sweeps and they'd just sort of ride it out until American Idol and 24 returned in January to bail them out. Now they've actually got stability on essentially every night, and that's a good thing because 24 is on its way out and American Idol is severely weakened with the departure of Simon Cowell. They're only launching 3 new shows, 2 hours of new programming this fall with the drama Lonestar on Monday and the comedic pairing of Raising Hope and Running Wilde on Tuesday. Lonestar is unlike anything else in its timeslot, but the trailer didn't do much for me. Tuesday should be very interesting with Glee leading into the screwball pairing of the two new sitcoms, both of which looked very good from their trailers. From there it's business as usual. Imagine that. Two shows on Fox whose ratings are stable on Thursday. In midseason things get screwy again when American Idol returns to dislodge the schedule, but there are also some interesting newcomers. Ride-Along is from Shawn Ryan (The Shield, The Unit) and stars Jennifer Beals and Jason Clarke. Mixed Signals is charming in an "Apatow without the edge" kinda way. I'm not a fan of the annual FOX tradition of "let's destabilize our entire schedule and give American Idol as many hours as possible", but otherwise the schedule is fine. No game changers though, so no better than a B

ABC - Stability in the fall; 12 1/2 hours of the network's 19 hours from Sunday-Friday remains in-tact from fall 2009. Last year's Shark Tank and The Forgotten make way for No Ordinary Family and Detroit 1-8-7. They can hardly do worse than last year. Better Together (ugh) slides into the Wednesday comedy block, with The Whole Truth (interesting) replacing the disastrous Eastwick. My Generation should do a somewhat better job at catching a similar demographic to Grey's Anatomy than Flash Forward did, although it's a concept that could either blow your mind or just blow. Body of Proof (double ugh) might just be able to attract an audience old enough to survive on Friday. At midseason they've got Off the Map (Caroline Dhavernas deserves better than Shonda Rhimes), Mr Sunshine (looks alright, but a Matthew Perry series not making the fall schedule? Something stinks) and Happy Endings. Not sure there are any shows with serious breakout potential, and with Lost gone and Dancing with the Stars having taken a ratings hit this year, that's a problem. Then you take in to account that ABC basically tied NBC in the ratings this year? Ouch. C-

I'll hold off on CBS until they post trailers.

No Ordianry Family looks like it has huge potential, but... I think they might end up fucking up with either a lack of villains, a lack of use for the powers or too much of a villain/use of powers. They're going to have to tread lightly to find a good way of balancing that out. They can't really have a Dr. Doom or Green Goblin type and get away with it, but if there's no bad guy at all, it could get a little boring.

From the previews I've watched, The Event, The Cape, Running Wilde, Lonestar, Ride-Along, No Ordinary Family and Detroit 187 all have one thing or another that seems interesting enough for me to give the show a chance.

The Cape looks quality. I'm watching that at the first oppertunity I get. No Ordinary Family looks good, but they'll definitely need a villain. It kinda had the feel of The Incredibles, actually. I'm looking forward to a bunch on whole new television; hopefully we get some real gems out of this bunch.

The Cape looks quality. I'm watching that at the first oppertunity I get. No Ordinary Family looks good, but they'll definitely need a villain. It kinda had the feel of The Incredibles, actually. I'm looking forward to a bunch on whole new television; hopefully we get some real gems out of this bunch.

You say that like they'll be released in the UK before a year or two passes. >_>

You have introduced me to a new way of life, my boy. I need not wait for television.

I see that the apprentice has now become the master. (also I'm like 4 years your senior. >_>)

I warn you though Split. If you try and strike me down I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.

The guest stars in Party Down are glorious. I've become addicted to this show and on the second episode of the second season - JK Simmons has popped back up. He's hilarious in the role of the producer. It was awesome to see Kristen Bell pop up, amongst others. (Y)

Was looking at the cast of No Ordinary Family on wiki...

Autumn Reeser, Tate Donovan and Romany Malco!? w00t.gif Fucking awesome supporting cast. And I can already tell that The Cape will garner in a decent audience, especially with Smallville and Supernatural coming to and end, combined with the audience that was left of Heroes fans and those of us who turned away from the show when it became awful.