General Television Thread

Hellfire

Yeah, see I never got the love of Father Ted, but I adore both IT Crowd and Black Books. Black Books most of all though, something about the combination of Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey and the minds behind IT Crowd and Father Ted created one of my all time favourite comedies.

I like "Black Books", have the box set. It has its moments of genius (the episode where they write the children's book, amazing) and is generally good to great, but it doesn't have that 'something' to it, which draws me to my favourite shows.

Like I could sit down all day and watch "Teachers", "Blackadder", "Monkey Dust", "15 Storeys High", early "Mighty Boosh", "Darkplace", "Spaced", "Father Ted", "Trigger Happy TV" etc. I couldn't do that with "Black Books".

Also, I'm sure I've said this loads, but it still annoys me...I'm not sure who my most hated person on television currently is. It's either Olivia Lee or Amanda Byram. They're both utter she-twats. Byram is just completely lacking in sex appeal and seems like she'd taste of rust iron and Lee...just an utterly unfunny knobhead is the best way to put her.

Edited by YI

It didn't quite live up to the lofty standards that the cast hyped it up as but it was really good, definitely the best show of the night on that block. My favorite community episode is still the Goodfellas parody, though.

The IT Crowd seems shocking. Admittedly I've only seen two or three episodes and not in any kind of order, but it's painfully unfunny. And yeah, Skins is horrible and I have to question anybody who enjoys it.

Nearing the end of the first series of Greek now. It's no OC but it's improved a lot as they've started fleshing the characters out more. I've had to put Chuck on standby but I'll get around to it.

Since I finished Greek I haven't been able to get into another show. Thankfully theres enough stuff that I can catch up on or rewatch until I can find something new.

Just watched the two most recent episodes of Supernatural and have to say that Death is awesome and there are so many different ways that the season finale could go that it's not even worth trying to guess.

Edited by Hellfire

Since I finished Greek I haven't been able to get into another show. Thankfully theres enough stuff that I can catch up on or rewatch until I can find something new.

Yeah, same here. I just can't find anything that has a fair few episodes and is as fun to watch. People always suggest Mad Men and The Wire but I currently have no interest in watching anything other than stuff like Greek and The OC, romantic subplots & comedy all around.

Luckily I've been able to delve into Smallville but before I did, I had a hard time trying to find something to watch since I wanted something lighthearted and comedic but there wasn't really anything out there; I watched them all. :(

But yeah, good thing that a bunch of the good cable shows (Burn Notice, Psych, White Collar, Leverage) will all be back this summer.

I still can't get into White Collar. The pilot was great but it seemed to lose it's way shortly after that. The third or fourth episode is sitting in my USB waiting to be watched but I just can't get back into it. Same with V.

I fucking love Outnumbered. Wonderful

Yep! Thursday's episode was beyond wonderful. Probably the best there's ever been.

Apparently there's going to be an American version made. :( I'm scared. :(

I was in hysterics when during I-Spy, Karen did Muslim. Hahaha.

"But he must KNOW he's a Muslim!"

EDIT: For the American version, it could work... most people thought the American Office would be absolutely awful. I just think they need to really cast the children perfectly. Without Ben and Karen, Outnumbered would be so much less awesome.

I was in hysterics when during I-Spy, Karen did Muslim. Hahaha.

"But he must KNOW he's a Muslim!"

Yeah, that used to be the best episode. But Thursday's with the pigeon, oh my god, it's fantastic. Karen going on about superstitions and Ben well...fuck...Ben was glorious.

Edited by YI

So, my standard English-language TV options these days are FOX Japan, Super Drama TV (currently leading their line-up with ER, Battlestar Galactica and Heroes) and Mystery Channel (all the detective dramas and "mysterious" stuff like Kingdom Hospital)....As well as stuff like BBC Worldwide news and a few movie channels and stuff like AXN which shows CSIs and other random stuff (like Veronica Mars which I've never watched).

Pleasingly Mystery Channel has been showing through Midsomer Murders (advertised on the channel as "BARNABY").

However after a few bleak months, Fox's current crop has been pleasing.

Currently my favourites on the channel are NCIS, Bones, Burn Notice (discovering that was a surprising but joyous moment) and Lie To Me which I saw for the first time tonight. Tim Roth is brilliant in it.

I just wish they'd drop Ghost Whisperer and Shark and replace them with House and Mental and I'd be a happy bunny.

Just finished getting caught up with Fringe. Not only is it a good show, it's been getting better as the season progresses and all hell looks to be going down on the finale (at least I'm pretty sure its the season finale) tonight.

So Supernatural had their season finale tonight too and I had to give that precedent. Not sure what to think about that episode, mainly because

They managed to avert the apocalypse without killing anybody. I liked it when they had Dean leaning against the car with Sam and the Half Brother/Michael in hell, Castiel exploded and Bobby dead, even though I like all of them. That felt like the Winchesters lost something. Now that everyone is seemingly back (although who knows what the deal is with Sam) and in one piece we'll have to see what happens next season.

Did we ever figure out who was God? From what happened, I thought it was the writer guy (forgot his name), although for a second I really did think Castiel would be the guy. Would've been a nice twist really.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Edited by Hellfire

Michael Ausiello is reporting that ABC's FlashForward, Romantically Challenged, Better Off Ted and Scrubs have all been canceled.

That would fall into the no surprise, somewhat surprising (at least to us), no kidding and no kidding categories.

No surprise there about these shows. Shame though, Better Off Ted and Scrubs were getting quite good, whilst Flash Forward was naff. Romantically Challenged was okay. Not good, not bad, but the tiny blonde bird was fittttttttttttttt. wub.gif

Also yeah, Supernatural:

Yeah, felt very underwhelmed by it. Especially the end with Sam being alive. If they were going to bring him back, I'd MUCH rather they bring him back in the next series through some means than leave it at that. It was fairly naff. It felt like everything went out with a whimper instead of a bang and there was no real big moment. Nowhere near as great as the endings of Series 2, 3 & 4. This whole series felt a little stale for my tastes.

Michael Ausiello is reporting that ABC's FlashForward, Romantically Challenged, Better Off Ted and Scrubs have all been canceled.

That would fall into the no surprise, somewhat surprising (at least to us), no kidding and no kidding categories.

No surprise there about these shows. Shame though, Better Off Ted and Scrubs were getting quite good, whilst Flash Forward was naff. Romantically Challenged was okay. Not good, not bad, but the tiny blonde bird was fittttttttttttttt. wub.gif

Also yeah, Supernatural:

Yeah, felt very underwhelmed by it. Especially the end with Sam being alive. If they were going to bring him back, I'd MUCH rather they bring him back in the next series through some means than leave it at that. It was fairly naff. It felt like everything went out with a whimper instead of a bang and there was no real big moment. Nowhere near as great as the endings of Series 2, 3 & 4. This whole series felt a little stale for my tastes.

Weren't both canceled like one or two months ago?

Zach Braff let the Scrubs cancellation leak, whilst I think Better Off Ted was just assumed the worst off. I think this is the official word from ABC.

Also now officially cancelled is Heroes. It should have been axed about 2 series back really, but at least they're finally letting it die. >_>

• Like 1