General Television Thread

Hellfire

Just watched the ending of The OC...

So sad. Brilliant show though, I feel bad for not trying it out earlier. As much as she got irritating, I did miss Maryissa and was so sad at her death. I love that Seth and Summer ended up together. Made my whole uneventful night to watch the geek get the girl.

Wtf.

If you don't want to be heavily spoiled, don't do what I did and read the episode summaries for the next four episodes of Supernatural (the last four episodes before the muthafuckin' apocalypse/season finale). How the hell did the CW authorize such spoilerific episode summaries? They must've known I lacked the will power to not read them, those assholes..

I've been watching The OC too. I've blazed out almost three seasons of it now and I can't see how it ended up getting cancelled, it's awesome! Though I guess the Marissa thing really couldn't have helped. I haven't seen that yet, but hopefully I won't cry too much :shifty:

I think I'll get started on Chuck and Greek soon. I can just about remember enough about the first season of Greek so that I won't have to rewatch it. The summer should be a good time to catch up on a bunch of shit because it's not like I have anything else going on. And I'm guessing I'll like Chuck because of the whole Josh Schwartz involvement, though he's probably not that involved in it at all now.

Chuck and Greek are awesome. I am very envious that you haven't seen either yet. That's two awesome TV shows to watch all of, as opposed to my 1, kind of okay show that I might continue watching.

I've started to watch Smallville and am about halfway through the first season. The good thing about it is that if I continue to enjoy it, there's so many seasons to catch up on that I won't have to try and find a new show for awhile.

But yeah, both Chuck and Greek (Chuck's my favorite show and Greek's quite possibly in the Top 10) are awesome. It really sucks that they both could be ending soon because of ratings, though. :(

I have faith that Chuck will make it to another series, if for no reason other than NBC (I think) have pretty much nothing else since Heroes died. (I hope)

Smallville is awesome, but you might find yourself struggling through the first 3 or so series. I urge you to stick with it though. It has problems with way too many 'Monster of the Week' stories in the first few series, but it gets so, so, so much better as it progresses. Apart from a naff series that featured Jensen Ackles not being awesome at all and Kristen Kreuk sticking around for way too long, the show gets to be just fantastic. By the 7-8th series, it's almost an entirely different show. If you can muscle through the crap, you'll find that the show can be awesome.

I don't know about Chuck. On one hand, I agree with you on the idea that it could be back because it's pretty much the only show on the network (not including it's Thursday lineup) that's doing a decent job as they can't really expect it to win out it's slot on Mondays. On the other hand though, this is NBC we're talking about and they're anything but patient when it comes to shows with low ratings.

And yeah, I've enjoyed Smallville (although I do notice that the "Villain of the Week" thing is a bit repetitive)so far so if it gets even better, that's great.

Oh and I started to watch Lost before and it was good, it's just that I'm flying on Thursday and didn't think it a great idea to continue watching a show about a plane crashing a week before I got on one.

I also wanted to mention that I checked out Romantically Challenged last night. It's... okay. I mean, it's pretty much your run of the mill sitcom with a less than incredible cast, but it got a chuckle or two out of me. It's no HIMYM or BBT, but it's alright. It stars Alyssa Millano, who I've noticed recently is kind of fit, but there's also something about her face that's a bit... off. I don't know. The blonde bird on the show is about 20x fitter and there really didn't seem to be much in the way of characters, but I think there's some potential for a fun show. Not a lot, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen.

Then again, I enjoy Two and a Half Men, so what do I know? shifty.gif

I think I've said it a couple times already but I think that The OC would have gotten more popular if they continued with the series four cast for a season or two more. I was so happy to see Marissa, who really, really annoyed the fuck out of me, kick the bucket and get replaced by a much more entertaining character.

I think I've said it a couple times already but I think that The OC would have gotten more popular if they continued with the series four cast for a season or two more. I was so happy to see Marissa, who really, really annoyed the fuck out of me, kick the bucket and get replaced by a much more entertaining character.

Taylor was much more entertaining than Marissa, but then, they're two very different characters. I think the show originally had somewhat of a dark undertone set in place, with comparisons between Marissa and Ryan in that Ryan was this kid from the wrong side of the tracks who was moving into a new world, where in his future is a lot more hopeful and his life keeps improving, whilst Marissa was taking the opposite path. On paper it sounds great and I can totally see what they wanted to do with it, with Ryan trying to 'save' Marissa from ending up how he was/almost did, but I just don't think the writers really knew what to do with her character. They tried to make her sympathetic, but in the end she came across as more spoilt than anything else.

Marissa also helped me at least relate a little more to Ryan, because I'm sure most people know that one person. You know the type, they'll make a mountain out of a molehill and take everything a little too seriously. They probably don't realise how spoilt/selfish they actually are and can't take being confronted about it. I've had a 'friend' like that for a while and it was interesting to see where the point of 'No more' was with Ryan.

I think Marissa was a good character that wasn't used well. With a few slight changes to how she reacted to certain things, she'd have been much more enjoyable and actually sympathetic. Not to mention a far less cliched damsel in distress.

My only problem with the idea of the Series 4 cast continuing (though I really wish they all had) was that Summer and Seth were starting to be a bit... eh (Apparently they dated IRL and broke up? I hear that's the cause). Not to mention they were all starting to move on with their lives. I don't think you could really continue the show when there's so little time left until they all went their separate ways. Not to mention that after the first few quite dark episodes, the show seemed to return to a light hearted drama, which I don't think they could have kept up for long. It would have gotten tiring to see the inevitable Summer/Seth break up again and maybe Sandy and Kirsten problems, and there wasn't much more they could do with the characters after all they'd put them through.

I mean, maybe if they could have worked something out where they all went to the same College, but even then it'd been set in stone with logical reasons why they were all going to different ones. (Apart from Ryan, who seemed to pick Berkley... well, just because. tongue.gif)

Also I quite liked the ending. It was a bit rushed and I could have done without Ryan seeing the kid on the street at the end (because that was just a bit silly), but other than that it gave a nice conclusion to all the stories and the characters. Except Ryan/Taylor, which was left a bit up in the air.

EDIT: Wow. I wrote a lot about something so trivial. I really need to get a life.

I'm pretty sure he's still very much involved. He was at a recent convention panel for it and everything.

Awesome, then. I was just covering my tracks in case somebody came in here and slaughtered me like LOST fanboys do whenever somebody mentions JJ Abrams :shifty:

Season 3 and Season 6 of Smallvile are horrid seasons of television. I like Smallville alot. But like Tkz said, you have to stick with it. Season 7 is my favourite series - everything about it is very, very awesome. I'm now starting Season 8, which seems promising.

Especially

Now that Lana seems gone. I can't fucking stand her. Easily the most annoying thing about that television show.

I like Smallville, but it can be rather cheesy at times. And somewhat repetetive. But I still enjoy watching it. Cougar Town is also a fun way to spend twenty minutes. Castle's on tonight which I'm looking forward to (Y)

Oh, and I'm loving Flash Forward. Eight episodes to go until the end and I'm really, really hoping they can give it a satisfying ending. I've loved it so far, but I'm, really worried Season One finale could potentially fall into disappointing teritory.

Edited by Split Second

I'm pretty sure he's still very much involved. He was at a recent convention panel for it and everything.

Awesome, then. I was just covering my tracks in case somebody came in here and slaughtered me like LOST fanboys do whenever somebody mentions JJ Abrams :shifty:

Plus, c'mon, I'd have thought all the love triangles would've been a dead giveway. :P

Season 3 and Season 6 of Smallvile are horrid seasons of television. I like Smallville alot. But like Tkz said, you have to stick with it. Season 7 is my favourite series - everything about it is very, very awesome. I'm now starting Season 8, which seems promising.

Especially

Now that Lana seems gone. I can't fucking stand her. Easily the most annoying thing about that television show.

I like Smallville, but it can be rather cheesy at times. And somewhat repetetive.

I love Smallville, yeah its repetitive but you get a whole lot of awesome out of it. The current season has a awesome double, feature length episode which made me all :o

And last season with Doomsday is the fucking balls

Smallville is the last show you should ever watch more than a disc of at a time on DVD, the episodes begin to merge together into one glorious "freak of the week for a season".

And add me to the Flashforward fandom, I'm past the comparisons to LOST and ridiculous overhype that accompanied it and am now just sitting down and really enjoying some well developed characters at the forefront of one of the more interesting overarching concepts on TV.