General Television Thread

Hellfire

Seriously guys, if you haven't yet, start watching The Pacific, its absolutely brilliant, wow...

Yup, watching the second episode now and I love it. Who cares if you know the ending? People know the ending of a lot of things and still watch it, for example The Watchmen.

I don't know what The Watchmen is, but I don't know how it ends! :P

2nd ep of The Pacific was great, though. I don't much care for the show as a drama/about the characters, or whatever, but the episode was pretty intense.

Seriously guys, if you haven't yet, start watching The Pacific, its absolutely brilliant, wow...

Yup, watching the second episode now and I love it. Who cares if you know the ending? People know the ending of a lot of things and still watch it, for example The Watchmen.

It was a joke.hmm.gif The other day I said to Rich that I have no interest in WW2 stories because I already know how they end. (WE WIN w00t.gif) Hence the shifty.gif smiley.

So, last night I watch 4 different shows. First off, I watched more Burn Notice and man, it has really found the perfect formula in the later half of Series 3. It was pretty good before, but now it's just been great. The episode with Fi and the guy from Ireland, that was awesome. Second show I watched at the recommendation of Livid was White Collar which was just all around great fun. I'll definitely check out the rest of the show as I really liked the characters. And Oh. My. God. Tiffany Thiessen. Holy Shit. Kelly Motherfucking Kapowlski is on my TV set again, and she's still fit as fuck.

The other two shows... well, I watched some of the original series of POKEMON and it still has that nostalgic charm about it. Though I have to say, Gary was a dick. I almost want to play Pokemon Red again just to kick his ass. And I also finally got around to checking out the remake/rebranded/redone/fixed/whatever version of Dragonball Z, which was fun for about a half an hour, but I don't think I could ever go through watching all of that show again. tongue.gif Loved it as a child, I must have seen all 200 odd episodes, but even when they cut a lot of the stuff down now, there's still bound to be way too much 'powering up'.

2lvl3k6.png

Yeah, wait, what? I'm pretty sure no one that hadn't already read the comic knew the ending to Watchmen. I'm sure the vast majority of people still don't know the ending to Watchmen. That is a very poor example. tongue.gif

Also hey look, I started a thing. w00t.gif

So, TNT is fucking awesome and they've started showing two Supernatural episodes a day.

Season 3 finished airing today, and season 4 starts tomorrow. At this rate, I'll probably be done with season 4 in two weeks.

Oh, yeah. And season 5 of Supernatural also continues tomorrow night on UPN/whatever they're calling it these days. Awesome.

Good to know I'm not the only one that can't wait for it's return... even if it has been a bit naff lately. A bit too much comedy for the stand alone episodes, not enough genuine scare. I mean, I'm legit still a bit freaked out by the Bloody Mary episode from Series 1... but there hasn't been much that freaks me in this series.

edit: Also, tonight's Modern Family was great. Will report back with my opinion on Cougar Town (which yes, I watch. >_>) and South Park.

You should know by now you're not the only one but I kinda can't wait until this season is over because I'm a bit tired of listening to them bitch about not having choices. I mean, they're right, it's a raw deal but it's been a fair amount of episodes since they learned about it and they probably should've held it out a bit longer. Oh well, I'm glad it's returning though.

And I'm in the middle of the 3rd season of The 4400 - damn, I think more's action in the past 2 episodes than there was in the first 2 seasons.

I've only seen about 3 episodes from this season; the one with the Jesse Turner, My Bloody Valentine and Abandon All Hope. I don't know if I've just gotten lucky and picked the best episodes of the season or whatever, but I'm loving it. Like I said before, this is probably the closest I'll come to seeing a live action Good Omens adaptation, and Good Omens is awesome.

Who cares as long as Jensen Ackles is pretty, right?

This.

Also they've said they'll take it Buffy style, which worked for Buffy and should do fine for Supernatural. There's always another big bad out there. I imagine this series would see the end of the whole Angels thing though. Which is a shame because Cas is awesome.

Who cares as long as Jensen Ackles is pretty, right?

This.

Also they've said they'll take it Buffy style, which worked for Buffy and should do fine for Supernatural. There's always another big bad out there. I imagine this series would see the end of the whole Angels thing though. Which is a shame because Cas is awesome.

Isn't he cut off from heaven or whatever? If this story goes where it seemed to be going I think (the angels aren't any different than the demons, or whatever), no reason Castiel can't "quit" them and still help out the Winchester.

I doubt it, I think when we see the end of this series, we'll say goodbye to the Angels. The show has always been about the two brothers, they've killed off practically everyone that's ever been close to them whose name isn't Bobby. I think Kripke has always said the reason he destroyed the Roadhouse was because the show is about Dean and Sam on the road, he doesn't like them to have a home. (even though, Bobby's house was more of a home... but I guess they want to keep him around. Not that I'm complaining.)

**SPOILER ALERT** (kind of.)

I watched the latest Supernatural today, and while it wasn't bad and was nice to have the show back, I really wish they'd do more Story centered episodes than the 3-4 or so a series that we usually get. I mean, I'd liked to have gotten to know a little more about Death and Lucifer and the plan and all that, rather than just a zombie episode (which was already done better by them previously.) with a quick reference. Though it wouldn't surprise me to find Bobby dead by the end of this series.

Also finally finished Burn Notice, I've enjoyed Series 3 the most so far, but man. I'd like the ending if I didn't already know that it'll probably be mostly resolved by the end of the first episode of Series 4 and we'll be right back to the 'case of the week' formula. I know, that's just the kind of show Burn Notice and Supernatural are, but I really feel like they'd benefit from having a bit more story and a bit less formulatic. I bring up Buffy again, because I've always held it in the highest esteem when it comes to spacing out a series between episodic and story arc episodes. When you're a show with a big story that people want to know more of and strong characters they love to watch, it's going to get downright annoying after a while when there's more 1 episode stories than there is general progression and a lack of change.

I love both shows, but I think I will lose interest if there's not even a slight change of scenery and purpose. In Buffy, so much happened over the course of just 3 Series that it kept the show fresh and different, each Series (apart from Series 1 & 2 to some extent) had it's own unique identity that still kept with the style of the show, but was different enough that it kept things interesting. Why not next series have Michael spend at least a few episodes inside a jail, having to work with Fiona and Sam on cases from the inside, whilst trying to deal with surviving in a prison? Then when he gets out, maybe add some more tension. In Series 3, it seemed like there was going to be a lot more of Michael having to avoid his past, but it really didn't come up much at all.

With Supernatural, I have no idea what you could do. >_> But still, change things up a little every once in a while.

Yeah, I really don't know what'd you have them do with Supernatural if it's not what they're already doing. The series is based on the idea of them travelling around the country and helping people out with shit they didn't know existed. If you take that way, you're changing the show quite a bit and probably too much, just for the sake of changing it. I understand what you're saying but I really think they need to just wrap the Heaven vs. Hell storyline up already (which I know will be done at the end of this season, but still) because I mean, they've been building towards it since the start and introducing a new overarching storyline might breathe some fresh air into the series. The problem with making any major change though, is that the fanbase would probably go apeshit because something changed, even if it's for the better.

Having said that, I really do think they could keep Cas around, depending on how the end of the story plays out. And with Kripke stepping down as the showrunner, I could see them making some minor tweaks and making him a series regular seems like the most obvious.

About Burn Notice, I'll say that they really do need to have Michael concentrate on one thing for a bit, instead of juggling the Burn Notice and the case of the week.

So I've started to watch Six Feet Under and so far it's pretty good. It's a bit slow at times and the mom character is really fucking annoying 75% of the time but overall, it's good. I started watching it because I really just kinda lost interest in The 4400. It wasn't bad and I'll probably go back to it at some point, but nothing really happens in it.

In other news, they've cast the first member of The Walking Dead which is awesome because it means that it's getting closer and closer to being on TV.

I'm still holding out hope for Mark Pellegrino as Frank. wub.gif

As for Supernatural, maybe I worded it wrong. I don't feel they need to stop them travelling around, but that they need to:

A) Start focusing more on the overall story than just the episodic style. At the moment it's like 85% episodic, 15% series long story. I'd much rather it was something like 60% Episodic, 40% series long story.

B) Just change it up a little more, which hopefully will happen next series. Add a new semi-permanent cast member, give Sam & Dean something new to deal with WHILE they deal with the big bad. (Maybe have them on the run, like those episodes in Series 3 but taken to a new extreme.) I love the show, but it does need something to just freshen it up a bit.

And Livid, tell me how you like Six Feet Under. I think I got through about 1 and a half, maybe 2 series with it, but it was so painfully slow and depressing that I just couldn't be bothered with any more of it.