General Television Thread

Hellfire

I've recently been watching Psych. Holy shit this show has my sense of humor down to a tee. Shawn & Gus are my favorite duo in any show going on.

So, after I finish with that (halfway through Season 2 right now), what show should I watch next? I was thinking of one of these: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Breaking Bad, The Shield, or Mad Men.

I cannot pimp out Greek enough. Absolutely love the show. It does a great job of being a dramedy that's still enjoyable to watch, even when it's being serious. Mix that in with likeable characters, situations you can relate too and the fact there's like 22, hour long episodes a series, it's totally worth getting into.

I'm trying it out, watched the first 5 episodes, its cool.

I've recently been watching Psych. Holy shit this show has my sense of humor down to a tee. Shawn & Gus are my favorite duo in any show going on.

So, after I finish with that (halfway through Season 2 right now), what show should I watch next? I was thinking of one of these: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Breaking Bad, The Shield, or Mad Men.

Breaking Bad is amazing.

The Shield definitely. Such an awesome show.

I just finished watching all five seasons of Las Vegas. Entertaining show but sadly there's really not an ending, which tends to happen alot with many US shows. Most are looking for staying power and they don't think about how to wrap up a story so by the end they're scrambling to put together something halfway decent and it looks like a mess.

Anyways, I'm going to catch back up with everything that I've watched so far, then start up with either Bones, Mad Men, The West Wing or something else (any suggestions? Ideally, I'd like something with at least a couple of seasons but any genre will do really)

Just watched latest Supernatural. It wasn't half bad. It felt a little closer to the show I love, but I really do miss some of the less comedic episodes. The comedy in Supernatural was always more sarcastic jokes and wise cracks between the two brothers, which I loved, but lately it's like they're taking the Evil Dead approach and trying to make goofy humour. (Cupid, for example.)

I just hope we can get this storyline over and return to the original, ghost hunting story (with less ridiculous one off episodes) with a new major villain. I know most people seem against the idea of a new villain, but there's more than one explanation of the Apocalypse and there's plenty of new evils they could explore. I mean, if you think about it, they've never really gotten 'stronger', just gained the right tools to fight the evil. The Colt was the only reason they could take out Yellow Eyes, the knife and Sam's pyschic abilities were the only reason they killed Lillith (and she wanted to die) and I'm sure it'll be another weapon this time around. It wouldn't surprise me if they go the route that plenty of nasty things started to 'awaken' during the Apocalypse and that they may have put the devil back in hell, but that doesn't mean there aren't other monsters looking to end the world or free him again. (Though I'd rather we avoided the whole Devil thing)

Well, haven't they been saying that this season will end the biblical story arc they're on? Does that mean they're going to rid the show of not just the Apocalypse storyline, but also of angels and demons? Because there is literally an infinite amount of gods/goddesses/demons that could be turned into some badass characters for them to fight, and who are unique enough that it won't just be Yellow Eyes, Lilith or Lucifer all over again.

I agree with you about the "comedy", though. I really liked that episode, but I also really could have done without the Cupid scene; that was just annoying, not funny. Do they do "comedy" bits like that often nowadays?

I missed yesterday's episode, though I read the plot summary or whatever. Honestly, it sounded kinda blah. I was half hoping it was just some weird April Fool's joke, but meh.

Did they really go to Heaven? Because, that's gay. Part of the appeal of this entire, epic battle is the mystique and mysteriousness of both heaven and hell and their occupants, in my opinion.

They went to heaven, but the episode was quite good and featured a cameo that you will MARK THE FUCK OUT FOR if you liked the character as much as I did. And as for comedy... kind of. It's more that before, it was only like 20% of the episodes max, where as this series it seemed like 50%. Not all of them are awful, it just feels a little far removed from the previous series. But even then, for any TV show that goes beyond 3 series, there'll always be that one series that isn't as awesome as the previous. (Hello Buffy S4)

Also heaven played out quite well on TV, in my opinion anyway. But like I've said, much as I loved it in Series 4, I want them to get this Angels Vs. Demons thing other with. At this point, it seems so hopeless that I'm starting to think "Okay, are you going to say Yes to Lucifer and Michael or not?". I get hopelessness is a bit part of the show, but usually there's an sparkle of hope somewhere (the cult, the knife, sam) where as this series, even that sparkle of hope has DIRE CONSEQUENCES.

(Hello Buffy S4)

As a fan of Tara and Anya, mad.gif.

As for MARKING OUT, I was in a room with four Supernatural fans (who once yelled at me because I took so long watching seasons one and two, and therefore keeping the DVDs from them) and the collective response to the one character that I didn't know was a collective "meh." However, if you're talking about the character that I DO know from seasons one and two, then it was definitely nice to see him again, although the others in the room weren't MARKING OUT in the least.

EDIT: Was that vague enough for everyone?

I was talking about Ash, who wasn't in Series 1. Who did you think I was talking about? Mary/Yellow Eyes?

Ash is awesome. Business up front. Party in the back. ;)

Yeah, the Ash cameo was awesome; he's one of my favorite secondary characters that they've had on the show.

And I guess I'll include this in here too since Mysterio hasn't seen it yet and some others might not have, either....

I thought the episode was good and while I get your point about the comedy, I haven't really had that big of a problem with it. I think, for the most part, they fit it in the shows pretty nicely. And we've already been over the fact that I'm pretty tired of the Heaven vs. Hell storyline because of much shit they pile on to the Winchesters & Co. but thankfully, this episode wasn't too bad other than the fact that Dean acted like a bit of a bitch just because he wasn't in some of Sam's greatest memories. I really liked the Joshua character though and I hope that's not the last we see of him.

Is Supernatural streamed on Hulu/some other site, or am I going to have to torrent this bitch?

I try not to get ahead of myself (I'm in the middle of the 4th season, the Siren episode was the last one they showed on TNT today), but I'm too intrigued by what they do with Heaven to not watch.

Unfortunately, it's not on Hulu and there's only one episode on The CW website so it does look like you would have to go through another means. Maybe go see if Blockbuster or somewhere to see if they have the DVDs for rent or something if you don't want to torrent it.

My favourite episode of this season actually, great stuff. I've got no problem with them stepping away from the comedy a lot of the time during this season, as after all, it is the fucking apocalypse coming. I'm just hyped up to see God show up, which he surely will by the end of the season, when they're not expecting it.

When is it on, Benji?

Also, just finished the third season of Alias. Man, I love this program. I really can't get enough of it - it's another awesome show I can add to my collection. About six episodes into Season 4 - there are a lot of stand alone episodes so far; but I still think it's quite the amazing show. I'd really suggest checking this out, if you haven't already.

Man, Cougar Town is great, it's not something I desperately want to see another episode of, but I can see it being more and more entertaining as it goes on.

Echo that.

At first I was slightly embarrassed to tell anybody I even watched it (and away from this board, I still am :shifty: ) but it's pretty damn awesome for what it is. The cast works off of each other brilliantly and it's just a fun little show.