General Television Thread

Hellfire

I'm not the biggest Big Bang Theory fan in the world, and it's certainly a bit shit a lot of the time, but I don't see how anything else could win it. Sure I'm not American so I probably can't judge adequately with the target audience, but it's bloody huge over here. Moreso than any other comedy on TV, except for maybe Friends >_>. So to me, it seems quite obvious that it'd be a favourite. 30 rock is pretty awesome, but it certainly doesn't have the audience that BBT does.

How many people watch it does not equal quality and should not equal recognition with awards and nominations. Big Bang Theory is a terrible show at the moment and has been for at least the past two seasons. And even the good seasons of the show should not be nominated for anything, because there are many shows out there that outclass it by a mile.

Edited by fr34k

I don't believe that popularity does equal quality, but popularity of something does mean that there are more people around who think the product they are watching IS quality, so popularity does equal recognition. Besides, it's all opinion anyway so who cares :shifty:.

I enjoyed the Hawking episode, purely for Hawking being there, but it's certainly not a program that I ever go out of my way to watch. Although the view that is is horrible, medicore comedy with boring storylines doesn't seem to have made it over here. I'll regularly be waiting to head out to the pub or on a night out, only to wait whilst my mates finish off whatever BBT episode is on.

Edit: I wasn't really referring to anything in terms of votes in the last post because I'd notice GoGo mention 'Emmys' and figured that they were one of those awards that aren't voted for by the public, but yeah, I'd think if it's done by a 'panel' or whatever, that it would be more about critical opinions. Although that is how we get The King's Speech beating Inception at the Oscar's :(.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

Yeah, Louie not being nominated is just mind-boggling. Community and Parks getting snubbed I expected, but not Louie.

EDIT: I have still not watched past the first season of Big Bang Theory. The first season was okay, primarily due to the strength of the cast. It's popcorn TV where as long as your brain's turned off it's pleasant and breezes by easily, but I certainly don't think a show like that merits a nomination as a series.

EDIT II: I'm also really surprised that John Slattery didn't get nominated this year. Jared Harris is deserving but I thought Slattery had one of his all-time greatest episodes in "Far Away Places."

EDIT: I have still not watched past the first season of Big Bang Theory. The first season was okay, primarily due to the strength of the cast. It's popcorn TV where as long as your brain's turned off it's pleasant and breezes by easily, but I certainly don't think a show like that merits a nomination as a series.

And that's the reason why so many people watch it.

The drama category is pretty solid though. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Homeland would all deserve to win and Bordwalk Empire was solid too, especially the last episode. Mad Men will walk away with the trophy I'd say, and it should. It had a really amazing season and always won the head to head episodes with Game of Thrones in quality in my opinion. Breaking Bad is obviously great too, but not as good as Mad Men. Homeland will probably win at some point in the future and Claire Danes should be a lock for best actress.

Edited by fr34k

And that's the reason why so many people watch it.

The drama category is pretty solid though. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Homeland would all deserve to win and Bordwalk Empire was solid too, especially the last episode. Mad Men will walk away with the trophy I'd say, and it should. It had a really amazing season and always won the head to head episodes with Game of Thrones in quality in my opinion. Breaking Bad is obviously great too, but not as good as Mad Men. Homeland will probably win at some point in the future and Claire Danes should be a lock for best actress.

I'd be happy with a win for GoT or Breaking Bad, but Mad Men does seem to be all the rage (Got the seasons, just need to finish off my rewatch of BB before I crack on with it). Wouldn't be shocked to hear that the only awards BB gets is for Bryan Cranston and MAYBE one for Anna Gunn, although I suspect there will be other strong supporting actresses that I've never seen.

Christina Hendricks deserves it more than Anna Gunn, though I loved Gunn's work in season four.

I think Aaron Paul could win Best Supporting Actor unless he and Giancarlo Esposito split the vote.

I think Dinklage will win, maybe Aaron Paul if he gets lucky. Also, if Mark Margolis wins in his category I will shed tears of joy.

Edited by fr34k

Christina Hendricks deserves it more than Anna Gunn, though I loved Gunn's work in season four.

I think Aaron Paul could win Best Supporting Actor unless he and Giancarlo Esposito split the vote.

I forgot about Giancarlo, he was absolutely fucking awesome the entire series. How strong is the guest actor category this year? I just noticed that Mark Margolis (Hector Salamanca) is nominated for that category, and it's a strange one for me. Despite his limitations in the role, I did quite enjoy his performance, but he was certainly restricted from going much further than that.

Peter Dinklage CANNOT still be considered a supporting actor, can he? He's the first name on the opening credits >_>.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

I really hope Giancarlo Esposito wins the supporting actor one. Aaron Paul has one, so Giancarlo deserves one for being one of the best villains TV has seen in my opinion.

He's also directing an episode in season five, which got me more excited than I think it should. And then he's back in September with 'Revolution', totally agree with being one of the best villains on TV though. I mean, I loved Michael Emerson as Ben Linus and everything, but there were a lot more shades of grey involved with that character.

Peter Dinklage CANNOT still be considered a supporting actor, can he? He's the first name on the opening credits >_>.

Emmy categories can be weird like that. I would say the logic would be sort of like how everyone from Modern Family submits under Best Supporting because they're an ensemble first or whatever.

Also, Mark Margolis is up against Michael J. Fox for The Good Wife, I believe. So he's not winning that.

Yeah, Louie not being nominated is just mind-boggling. Community and Parks getting snubbed I expected, but not Louie.

If you sort of flip that, you have what I expected. Community's obviously not got enough people watching, but I really thought Louie was in the same boat and I'm honestly floored that Parks and Rec didn't get at least a Best Comedy Series nomination (not to mention one for Nick Offerman.)

Also, I know I'm late to the party, but Modern Family took 4 of the 6 Supporting Actor in a Comedy nominations? I like the show, but jesus fuck.

Looking through what my ballots would have been, 5/6ths of the shows I had for Drama got nominated, half of the comedies, two of the leading actresses in a drama and 2/3rds of the lead actors, two lead actors and three lead actresses for comedy, and four supporting actors and two supporting actresses for drama. Of who I'd have win for guest starring roles, only Jimmy Fallon as SNL Host was nominated.

The Big Bang Theory started out as a show I watched regularly. But not so much after season three. Chuck Lorre shows just seem to get worse as they go along.

It's funny to watch early BBT and see how the characters have become wackier as its gone along. It's very noticeable with Sheldon especially.