General Television Thread

Hellfire

The ending was one Jason Street away from being perfect.

I felt like his arc was complete...

... he didn't really need to make any further appearances beyond his scenes with Coach earlier in the season, which was a nice touch. I did hope to see Landry back though, particularly to celebrate Julie and Matt's good news. My one issue with the ending was how so many couples got happy endings in the same episode, I felt like that should have been spread out across the season.

I was expecting him to show up when Billy and Tim were building the house. Texas Forever was his dream at the start of the series too, but yeah, he moved on from that. I felt like the ending was kinda rushed, they tried to put too much stuff in the final episode.

Ditto, and yet I also felt the episodes before it started to feel like they were stalling, so they clearly had time for it and just plotted it poorly. Still, the Riggins brothers being united at the end made me smile, they were my favourite characters for very different reasons to each other. I did love the touch of leaving that championship game up to the imagination, and the cut in that was beautiful.

The thing that bothered me it was Ruckle, he was part of the main cast but he had like 5 scenes?. Luke going to the army came out of nowhere too.

The Riggins were my favorites too along with Saracen, the proposal scene was so great with the characteristic Saracen's stuttering and asking Julie if she was serious and the scene with Coach and Matt was great too.

The ending was one Jason Street away from being perfect.

I felt like his arc was complete...

... he didn't really need to make any further appearances beyond his scenes with Coach earlier in the season, which was a nice touch. I did hope to see Landry back though, particularly to celebrate Julie and Matt's good news. My one issue with the ending was how so many couples got happy endings in the same episode, I felt like that should have been spread out across the season.

I was expecting him to show up when Billy and Tim were building the house. Texas Forever was his dream at the start of the series too, but yeah, he moved on from that. I felt like the ending was kinda rushed, they tried to put too much stuff in the final episode.

Ditto, and yet I also felt the episodes before it started to feel like they were stalling, so they clearly had time for it and just plotted it poorly. Still, the Riggins brothers being united at the end made me smile, they were my favourite characters for very different reasons to each other. I did love the touch of leaving that championship game up to the imagination, and the cut in that was beautiful.

The thing that bothered me it was Ruckle, he was part of the main cast but he had like 5 scenes?. Luke going to the army came out of nowhere too.

The Riggins were my favorites too along with Saracen, the proposal scene was so great with the characteristic Saracen's stuttering and asking Julie if she was serious and the scene with Coach and Matt was great too.

When you think about it, Luke joining the Army makes a lot of sense. He decided he didn't want to play college football for some obscurely small college (which was a common theme for the kids who played for the actual Permian Panthers in the FNL book. After playing on a such a big stage in high school, playing in front of hundreds of people at a no-name college where football wasn't worshipped was a huge letdown). His family couldn't afford college. That's a decision most males who graduate high school but aren't headed to college make, that the Armed Forces is usually the only way out of a dead end town.

I can decide whether I like Hostages or not. I hated the first episode but 2 and 3 have been reasonable. It is the opposite of every other TV show I'm used to.

So far this season I'm liking Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Hello Ladies, Masters of Sex, SHIELD and The Crazy Ones. Waiting for a reason to like/drop Super Fun Night. Obviously Hostages I cannot decide on either.

Still have The Tomorrow People, The Goldbergs and Once Upon a Time in Wonerland to watch.

The pilot for Once Upon A Time in Wonderland was weird. It had some really fun moments, but there were a bunch of scenes that didn't seem like it fit into the story. The good thing is that you don't have to know anything about Once Upon A Time to watch this show.

Also, Sayid from Lost is

Jaafar, and he's super goofy in it it's brilliant.

One thing I notice about new shows, especially this season: they seem to reveal a lot of their surprises in the pilot itself. I really don't like it, it's like shows nowadays don't know how to have patience, and just seem to blow their load early. Saw this in Once Upon A Time in Wonderland when

they revealed that Jaafar had been the one to save the Genie from the Boiling Ocean, so now it's not in the least bit intriguing where the Genie is

and in The Blacklist

when they revealed that the main character's husband was some sort of spy and has a sordid past.

I'm sure it's so that they can try to provide some sort of pull for viewers to return and watch the show, but they should pull some punches, right? Not let us know everything in the first episode straightaway.

Yeah, the ratings aren't the greatest so it is a little troublesome but given the pedigree both in front of the camera and behind it, Fox may be giving it a longer leash than they did with a show that didn't have either of those like Ben and Kate.

The pilot for Once Upon A Time in Wonderland was weird. It had some really fun moments, but there were a bunch of scenes that didn't seem like it fit into the story. The good thing is that you don't have to know anything about Once Upon A Time to watch this show.

Also, Sayid from Lost is

Jaafar, and he's super goofy in it it's brilliant.

One thing I notice about new shows, especially this season: they seem to reveal a lot of their surprises in the pilot itself. I really don't like it, it's like shows nowadays don't know how to have patience, and just seem to blow their load early. Saw this in Once Upon A Time in Wonderland when

they revealed that Jaafar had been the one to save the Genie from the Boiling Ocean, so now it's not in the least bit intriguing where the Genie is

and in The Blacklist

when they revealed that the main character's husband was some sort of spy and has a sordid past.

I'm sure it's so that they can try to provide some sort of pull for viewers to return and watch the show, but they should pull some punches, right? Not let us know everything in the first episode straightaway.

If they don't do that Kong gets cross and stops watching. :shifty:

Yeah, the ratings aren't the greatest so it is a little troublesome but given the pedigree both in front of the camera and behind it, Fox may be giving it a longer leash than they did with a show that didn't have either of those like Ben and Kate.

And I would hope they see what poor scheduling they've done with it, since I imagine leading in with Dads and also putting it up against Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is much worse than say, having a New Girl lead-in and getting worse numbers, yes Mindy Project I'm talking to you.

• Like 1

Yeah but will a new lead-in be any better? Even if the show itself is higher quality, they're both still going up against Agents of SHIELD. Moving it to a different night would probably be more effective.

I'm not saying it'll help. I'm just saying what is likely to happen. If they still want the show to find success then they'll probably move it. It all just depends on how much they want the show to succeed.

It just baffles me that a show from created by a guy who has been a NBC lifer (Mike Schur) and starring a guy who was a cornerstone of SNL for years (Andy Samberg) doesn't end up on NBC on Thursday nights. Especially considering how NBC loves bringing back old stars for sitcoms.

Considering that NBC passed up on John Mulaney's pilot and looking at what comedies comprised their fall block this season and what they brought in last season, I'd say that it's because they're full-on in flailing desperation to do what's been working for ABC and CBS, and that doesn't involve "comedy geek" shows.