General Television Thread

Hellfire

Nah, House was like a super star medical doctor who made a living embarrassing all the other experts in his field. Reddington is much the same way with the FBI. That's the point I was making, not that it was a procedural drama.

Watch Forever, motherfuckers!

It's a good show. I'm still waiting for it to really break out though because so far it hasn't had a lot of progression as far as the main character goes. He lives forever and loses everyone he loves. Even his smarts aren't all that interesting. I think if I lived for 300 years I'd probably know quite a bit too.

I just watched the first few minutes. It... has moments. There are moments. I'll watch the rest later.

EDIT: I watched the rest. One joke really landed, and it was a joke delivered by a character who is not seen on-screen. That's probably not good. Otherwise there are a some mildly funny moments. Of the actual cast members I think Nasim Pedrad is nailing what the tone of the show SHOULD be. We'll, uh, see if it gets there, I guess.

Some comics based on great standup comics just don't do well. I remember when Royale Watkins did one back in the late 1990s. They filmed around 7 or 8 episodes and only aired 3. Though in that case it bombed back Watkins couldn't act if his life depended on it. I'm surprised it wasn't yanked off the air during the first episode.

(Looked it up. The show was called Built To Last. If you can find any episodes to watch.....DON'T!)

I've seen this Mulaney guy promoted non stop for months now, but can't say I've ever really seen any of his work.

The Seinfeld ripoff can work, I watched Josh Widdicombe's pilot, Josh. Thought it was brilliant. Great performances by Jack Dee & Elis James. Very British feeling Seinfeld. It's been picked up by the BBC for a series now.

I loved the stand up someone (GoGo?) posted, but a guy in New York living with his room mates is literally the last thing I give a shit about seeing. I'm going into it sceptical, but I'd give it a chance beyond the pilot since comedy pilots can be notoriously bad.

New shows worth watching?

Forever, How To Get Away With Murder, NCIS: New Orleans, and *maybe* Stalker. Comedy-wise, I got nothing.

I couldn't get into The Leftovers. Gave up after the first two or three episodes.

Also, if you have a girlfriend or wife and need a `you're going to have to blow me for watching this with you' show.....Outlander. Its based on a series of novels, and involves time travel. The main character is an Englishwoman from 1945 who ends up stuck in mid-1740's Scotland. Just keep in mind the English (other than the main character) are the bad guys on the show. (And the actress playing the Englishwoman is actually Irish) There are only 8 episodes, though. The show is on `midseason break' until April. (And of those 8 episodes, I managed avoiding having to watch 1 or 2, and only paid attention to 2: Episode 1, and Episode 7 which has a lot of sex in it)

But definitely give How To Get Away With Murder and Forever a shot. HTGAWM has some nice twists, and a WTF?! (in a good way) moment at the end of the first episode.

Edited by GhostMachine

Any new shows worth checking out this year? I'm not great at keeping up with all the US stuff at the moment.

From the entire calendar year? Broad City's pretty great. Fargo's excellent but I think you've already watched that?

• Like 1