General Television Thread

Hellfire

Gotham was very okay. But I don't see how they're going to make anything feel urgent when we know all the characters survive. Scenes like the one with Gordon and Bullock trapped just have no tension, because we know they're going to make it out.

Overall it was alright, I'm not particularly psyched for the rest of it, though. It'll probably get better as we get past the awkward pilot stage. I'm just not sure it's going to survive on name drops and Jim Gordon alone when this time next year we'll have Arrow, Flash, Constantine, Daredevil, SHIELD, Supergirl and Titans.

I see it more in the "Boardwalk Empire style" in that, similar to how we see Al Capone etc rise to power in the background, we will see Joker, Ed Nygma, Penguin, Ivy etc in the background

I'm looking forward to it.

Also, i liked Scorpion

But there's plenty of characters, namely the main ones, that people aren't familiar with the story of or that aren't even based on historical figures in Boardwalk. Nearly all of the main characters of Gotham we already know will make it through the series. I'm not saying it can't be done well and a prequel can't be exciting, but they're focusing on the wrong areas by putting guys like Gordon or Penguin in life-threatening situations, because we know they'll make it through. There's a really great idea for a Mob/Corrupt cops/Gordon almost political drama in the setting. But they're trying to make it action based, which isn't going to work, because we already know who makes it out in end.

It doesn't help that the writing team, for the pilot at least, isn't half as strong. At one point, just to drive it home to the watchers, Gordon actually shouts "YOU'RE A CYNIC!" at Bullock. Just in case the audience didn't pick up on that from all of the cynical things he was saying and doing before then.

It might catch on with the CSI audiences, which'll be a great success for the show... but I'm not sure I really want to watch a Gotham that aims for that lowest common denominator.

Yeah, Tkz, but most shows often put main characters who we know are going to survive in harm's way anyway. I don't see the problem, that's like complaining that the pilot for the Justice League had the show teasing Batman had been killed by those weird alien things.

I don't see what the big deal is to be honest. Sure Penguin etc survive but what's compelling for me is seeing how they evolve into the villains Bruce has to contend with and how they become so dangerous when the vast majority of them started off so week. Nobody complained about Smallville and that's sort of the same thing/premise

• Like 1

It's not if the show puts them in life or death situations. It ruins the tension if they play that card too much and nobody dies. It's doubly worse when it's a character from existing source material. I haven't seen the episode yet so I can't comment on how it relates to the show but I understand being wary of a network show being able to pull that trigger.

Edited by livid

If they were desperate I can't see why they couldn't play a bit fast and loose with the source material. Have one of the main villains die before they are a 'big name' then have one of their henchmen use their name as a homage and become what you expected.

But I agree the whole thing is silly, the same criticism could be levelled about any successful novel/comic book that has been turned into a movie/television show.

I haven't seen it, but isn't the idea of the main characters being in peril is that it helps shape them into the people they become? Batman is never going to die 20 minutes into a Batman movie.