General Television Thread

Hellfire

HBO available without a cable subscription in 2015

So basically it's HBO Go but you don't have to have a cable subscription to use it. Sounds pretty cool.

I like Colin Jost, I think he's decent. He's been getting better and better but the fact that he's had to follow such a murderers row of Update anchors (Meyers, Poehler, Fey) isn't helping. I would love to have seen John Mulaney take over for Seth.

I'm still indifferent on Michael Che, he's clearly funny but I think he's still trying to decide if he's going to be just a comic or a real-life version of DL Hughley from Studio 60.

I'm still to start Hell on Wheels but it is on my list of shows to watch.

Watched five seasons of The League, its fun if you're a NFL fan and play fantasy football but I can't imagine it gets a lot of viewers outside of that bracket. Was surprised to see Lloyd from Epic Rap Battles of History pop up in a show.

Started The Americans, five episodes in. Really enjoying it.

The Simpsons/Family Guy crossover was waaaaay too much Family Guy. Still somewhat amusing, but very one sided. The court scene was the highlight, in particular...

... FRED FLINTSTONE CAMEO!

Seriously, I marked the fuck out for that.

The near 10 minute fight was fucking ridiculous and stupid though.

I'll be honest, this was the first Family Guy episode I've wanted to willingly watch in about five years - and the first new Simpsons episode in about 5 years I've actively seeked out as opposed to "it's on, may as well". And I'll be honest, I did actually like it. The normal traits of Family Guy which made me hate Family Guy were few and far between - very minimal random flashbacks/cut aways that don't mean anything or add any thing to the plot and fucking rape jokes ughhhh. But aside from that one rape joke, the majority of the humour was good; it was self-referential and self-deprecating (from both teams) and pointed out their obvious comparisons. All in all it was pretty good.

I think the weirdest thing for me though is that even though the Family Guy team did a good job recreating the Simpsons/Springfield, that they looked like them, in animation there was just something a little bit different about it that you could tell it wasn't done by the usual people - not a complaint as such because I completely understand why, just a little strange.

My highlights

Brian mentioning that he wouldn't be able to say the state name of Springfield.

Stewie asking if "Eat my shorts" is like "What the Deuce", and Brian saying yes, but way more popular.

The Simpsons characters and their FG counterparts in the crowd in court.

Bob's Burgers cameo in the plane and Cleveland's "oh no oh no oh no" as he blows up.

Fred Flintstone.

The "We're gonna make it!".... "Trust me, we won't"

The self-referential ending with Lois basically saying "yeah, we're a rip off, but fuck it, they can't enforce it!"

You're right, that fight was way too long.

What was the rape joke?

The Simpsons/Family Guy crossover was waaaaay too much Family Guy. Still somewhat amusing, but very one sided. The court scene was the highlight, in particular...

... FRED FLINTSTONE CAMEO!

Seriously, I marked the fuck out for that.

The near 10 minute fight was fucking ridiculous and stupid though.

I'll be honest, this was the first Family Guy episode I've wanted to willingly watch in about five years - and the first new Simpsons episode in about 5 years I've actively seeked out as opposed to "it's on, may as well". And I'll be honest, I did actually like it. The normal traits of Family Guy which made me hate Family Guy were few and far between - very minimal random flashbacks/cut aways that don't mean anything or add any thing to the plot and fucking rape jokes ughhhh. But aside from that one rape joke, the majority of the humour was good; it was self-referential and self-deprecating (from both teams) and pointed out their obvious comparisons. All in all it was pretty good.

I think the weirdest thing for me though is that even though the Family Guy team did a good job recreating the Simpsons/Springfield, that they looked like them, in animation there was just something a little bit different about it that you could tell it wasn't done by the usual people - not a complaint as such because I completely understand why, just a little strange.

My highlights

Brian mentioning that he wouldn't be able to say the state name of Springfield.

Stewie asking if "Eat my shorts" is like "What the Deuce", and Brian saying yes, but way more popular.

The Simpsons characters and their FG counterparts in the crowd in court.

Bob's Burgers cameo in the plane and Cleveland's "oh no oh no oh no" as he blows up.

Fred Flintstone.

The "We're gonna make it!".... "Trust me, we won't"

The self-referential ending with Lois basically saying "yeah, we're a rip off, but fuck it, they can't enforce it!"

You're right, that fight was way too long.

What was the rape joke?

Bart showed Stewie the usual Prank Moe, and Stewie said let me have a go and said "I raped your sister" and hung up.

I watched the first series of In The Flesh, an ambitious BBC series about zombies being reintegrated into society after they find a cure. The first series is on three episodes, but it does a pretty good job of being bold and doing interesting things with a number of its characters. For a show that's trying to be so real, it can sometimes tip too far into melodrama, but it feels like another step in the right direction.

The second series of Peaky Blinders has also been great, if, like Luther, you're willing to go with it. Accents can be a little all over the place, but any time Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy are on screen, preferably together, it's just brilliant.

Will be checking out The Great Fire and The Detectorists soon as I make more of an effort to watch British TV. I think some of our American members should give some of the shows a go. Broadchurch, too.

• Like 1

Legends pilot was okay, largely carried by Sean Bean and partially by Ali Larter, but the team they're with are so two dimensional. Has potential, but I'm not really sure I care enough to keep going with so many shows to watch at this time of year. Anyone watched that can suggest if I can ir or continue?