General Television Thread

Hellfire

I am a pretty astute and proactive television watcher, I often watch shows with my parents to see how they see shows. In police procedurals, I often have the killer figured out early on. It isn't exactly challenging most nights, but my folks find themselves surprised week after week.

They also enjoy the ability to have zero recall of shows, so each repeat of the Big Bang Theory starts with... "I don't think I've seen this one before", which is impossible given how frequently TBBT is on every channel. (I enjoy it, but I remember it).

Friday nights we watch the Amazing Race - my favourite reality program ever - and at then at 10pm they watch Bluebloods. Mostly, I think, so my mother can marvel at just how dreamy Tom Selleck remains after all these years. Still rocking the 'stache. Which... fine... it isn't my show and it isn't targeted at me but...

tonight... it offered up the most contrived preface I can recall in recent history.

Off duty cop finds a beaten woman alone in a park and strikes up a conversation. Okay, fine. Then a squad car rolls up 100 feet away or so. Off duty doofus tells battered bitch, "Stay here, I'll go talk to those guys and we can go to a medical centre", and leaves her there. Quick cut to Off duty doofus talking to squad car cops about the girl, the cops look over to the bench and... Girl Is Gone! Dun dun duuuuuumb!

How this episode never happens... Off duty doofus, "Come with me to the squad car and we'll see what they can do."

Total episode running time... 45 seconds.

From that point on, I was rooting for the bad guys.

The ending was essentially spoiled for me, sadly, but it was still well done. On the other hand...

The Margaret scenes were amazing. Her "imagine the things you want most in life, and then imagine yourself wearing a dress" line encapsulates her character arc SO WELL.

And the Capone scenes. Perfect.

So, I decided to watch Mad Men Season 7A rather than waiting for 7B to start and just watched the finale. I have to ask...

... soooo... Don's got a brain tumour or is still drinking heavily, right?

Keep in mind this is not the first time Don has seen a dead character, though this last time was by far the most excessive example.

• Like 2

The ending was essentially spoiled for me, sadly, but it was still well done. On the other hand...

The Margaret scenes were amazing. Her "imagine the things you want most in life, and then imagine yourself wearing a dress" line encapsulates her character arc SO WELL.

And the Capone scenes. Perfect.

So, I decided to watch Mad Men Season 7A rather than waiting for 7B to start and just watched the finale. I have to ask...

... soooo... Don's got a brain tumour or is still drinking heavily, right?

Keep in mind this is not the first time Don has seen a dead character, though this last time was by far the most excessive example.

Boardwalk finale:

I can't decide my favorite line from that episode, either the Margaret one you mentioned, or:

"The first time I got a nickel I thought, the world is a marvelous place, but then I thought—a dime, a dime would be better. Then after a dime, I thought-a nickel..."

because it fits Nucky so perfectly, or:

"In the end we do what we have the nerve to do or we disappear." from the Commodore, or Narcisse quoting that piece of Scripture and basically wrapping up the show in that single line. Probably Nucky's line, though. The thing he said to Joe Harper about him just giving his best answers was awesome, too. Just a fantastic ending.

• Like 2

I watched the first episode of Blacklist tonight because Avengers: AoU has me excited for more James Spader. Spader is awesome as expected and the female lead is good. But holy shit, I just didn't care at all about what happened throughout.

I watched the first episode of Blacklist tonight because Avengers: AoU has me excited for more James Spader. Spader is awesome as expected and the female lead is good. But holy shit, I just didn't care at all about what happened throughout.

This disappoints me. I've been on and off about starting this up as some of the previews that I've seen have had me interested but I seem to see back and forth reviews on here about whether the show is actually any good or not.

It's fine for what it is. I don't think it has any pretence of being genre defining or trying to contend for best show ever. It's a simple procedural but is better than most procedurals and James Spader is always worth watching. So if you go in expecting Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones level of quality you'll be disappointed. But if you go in expecting House or similar with characters that are actually semi-fleshed out and an overarching story more interesting than the norm (for those types of shows) you'll probably like it. It's one of the few shows I actually remember to watch.

Also last time I'm going to say it's brilliant but people really need to watch 'Please Like Me'. It's now up for an International Emmy. It falls into that small niche of programs that me, my boyfriend, my sisters, my mum, my step-dad and my grandparents all really enjoy (so it isn't just that the protagonist is a poof). I don't really know how to describe it, besides the fact that it's brilliant. It also has the most realistic depictions and treatment of mental illness I think I've seen on television, as well as how others react to it. It's totally grounded in reality (is based on the writer/main character's life) but keeps up a great pace and doesn't really dwell on anything.

The Blacklist is really quite terrible. I stayed with it for like 8 or 9 episodes because I really wanted it to become good, but it was just so bad. They actually let this guy that was on their most wanted list go around doing more illegal stuff, and he's happily telling them about it!

This weeks episode of Forever was pretty good. I'm still waiting for it to break away from the procedural drama and get more into who "Adam" is but I like the way it works with the questions of how you would handle if you lived forever and couldn't tell anyone about it. As I said, when first seeing the show it made me think "Vampire" but I like that they haven't gone with that.

I've gotten addicted to Celebrity Name Game, and I am finding that I know way more pop culture than I should be allowed to know. Also, apparently, it's possible to confuse Goldie Hawn with Bette Midler.