General Television Thread

Hellfire

I started watching A Touch of Cloth the other day, after a friend recommended it. I'm a pretty big fan of the work of Charlie Brooker, and this show blew away my every expectation and had me in stitches throughout the first series.

It's a Police thriller drama series that parodises all the cliché tropes you find in said series, throwing innumerable (sight) gags and jokes at you leaving you in stitches. It's clear that Brooker got a lot of inspiration from classics like Police Squad!, Airplane, and the Naked Gun, and it shines in the humour department, and it has a smart quick witted comedic brilliance, with the occassional absurd thrown in there.

What makes it even better is that whilst the jokes are flying around at a rapid pace, the plot (albeit silly and dumb) holds up and it's actually a very fun whodunit. And it's not like other ''modern'' parody flicks and series where it's only about quickfire gags without a context, the jokes have been smartly placed into the story to make you snigger or laugh, but not to undermine it's own story. The characters are brilliant, and they stay in character throughout despite the silliness the actors need to do.

I find this a real must-watch if you love quick-witted parody that isn't afraid of taking the piss out of itself and the entire crime genre without being farce. I watched the first episode three times this week, because I showed it to my friends, and I spotted new gags everytime I watched.

Genuinely funny, and since there are only 2 45minute episodes a season, it's very easy to binge watch all three series that are out right now, and the best news is that a fourth is forthcoming!

I'm not someone who'se really into the average comedy stuff, but this is a perfect modern British rendition of the timeless classic that is Police Squad!

11/10, watch it if you haven't yet. You will LOVE it.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

Fresh Off the Boat is seriously really funny. The mother is amazing.

"So Melrose Place is about prostitutes who are mad at each other."

she kills it with every line delivery, what a show.

Also Benji, way belatedly; as long as you don't have a deep aversion to cringe humor, The Comeback is very good.

• Like 1

Also Benji, way belatedly; as long as you don't have a deep aversion to cringe humor, The Comeback is very good.

My husband totally does and that is why I've never rewatched the Comeback. I tried to get him to watch the Office and he just felt frustrated with Michael Scott and said "I can't watch this stupid show anymore".

• Like 1

My husband totally does and that is why I've never rewatched the Comeback. I tried to get him to watch the Office and he just felt frustrated with Michael Scott and said "I can't watch this stupid show anymore".

There are few moments like that where I can't watch some of Michael Scott's antics now that I know what's coming. I won't go near "Scott's Tots" with a 10-foot pole.

• Like 1

Two episodes in and Happy Valley is excellent. You guys seriously need to start watching some of this year's British TV, there's been some great stuff out.

Something that's not been so great is Broadchurch, which has proceeded to get worse and worse, and I'm kind of watching it cos it's just a thing me and my girlfriend do, plus Olivia Coleman remains amazing.

Watching the SNL 40th Annierversary spevial. The Californians is keeping the time honored tradition of 'Skit That Should've Ended 5 minutes Ago'

Watching the SNL 40th Annierversary spevial. The Californians is keeping the time honored tradition of 'Skit That Should've Ended 5 minutes Ago'

Pretty sure that's the joke. Like all soap operas have gone on for way too long and they just repeat the same storyline over and over again.

Hahahaha, yeah. That was endless even by The Californians standards. But that whole thing was fucking amazing. As a kid who grew up avidly watching every single SNL rerun I could on Comedy Central, the little stuff like '90s bandleader G.E. Smith doing a featured guitar solo made me go "YEAH!!!" at the TV screen.

The actual highlight was probably the montage of music-related characters. That was delightful, even though Garth and Kat were there.

Honestly, I'm trying to figure out who the biggest living castmember who wasn't involved in some way was. I'm pretty sure you have to go to the Nora Dunn/Chris Kattan level of SNL fame.

EDIT: Wait, no, it's Dennis Miller. Can't really say I'm all that sad.

• Like 1

Hahahaha, yeah. That was endless even by The Californians standards. But that whole thing was fucking amazing. As a kid who grew up avidly watching every single SNL rerun I could on Comedy Central, the little stuff like '90s bandleader G.E. Smith doing a featured guitar solo made me go "YEAH!!!" at the TV screen.

The actual highlight was probably the montage of music-related characters. That was delightful, even though Garth and Kat were there.

Honestly, I'm trying to figure out who the biggest living castmember who wasn't involved in some way was. I'm pretty sure you have to go to the Nora Dunn/Chris Kattan level of SNL fame.

EDIT: Wait, no, it's Dennis Miller. Can't really say I'm all that sad.

Wish Rob Schneider had been there. I know I can't be the only one who misses Rich the Copy Guy......?