General Television Thread

Hellfire

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

The Night Manager finished in really good form last night, and I really hope we get more of that kind of prestige Drama. It's almost embarrassing how much better the BBC is than ITV at the moment (Grantchester aside), which was backed up even further by Maigret Sets A Trap tonight. They had the foresight to rightly gamble on Rowan Atkinson in a credible and noteworthy dramatic turn, but they couldn't quite get everything else up to scratch. It doesn't help that the flow was consistently disrupted by a ridiculous amount of adverts, but it feels like a missed opportunity because Atkinson really did impress. 

Night Manager was brilliant. Such great actors and actresses in it. The only thing I didn't like was the slight overuse of the shallow-depth-of-field-as-the-actor-walks-into-focus shot. John le Carre knows how to write good spy flicks. One of the drawbacks to the cold war ending is the lack of good spy films.

26 minutes ago, Avenged said:

Had anyone watched 'Flaked' it looks like something I'd enjoy and Will Arnett is funny.

It's not bad. It's a bit all over the place though, like the first few eps were not great, the middle ones caught my interest a bit and the finale is a bit of a clusterfuck. I guess you should watch it if you love Will Arnett or don't have anything else going on. 

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Night Manager was brilliant. Such great actors and actresses in it. The only thing I didn't like was the slight overuse of the shallow-depth-of-field-as-the-actor-walks-into-focus shot. John le Carre knows how to write good spy flicks. One of the drawbacks to the cold war ending is the lack of good spy films.

I'd definitely agree, but I was just so impressed that Susanne Bier did such a great job of making the whole thing feel so cinematic. That was no doubt helped by the presence of such great actors, but the whole thing felt so slick and stylish. And boy did they know how to keep making Tom Hiddleston look dreamy. 

33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'd definitely agree, but I was just so impressed that Susanne Bier did such a great job of making the whole thing feel so cinematic. That was no doubt helped by the presence of such great actors, but the whole thing felt so slick and stylish. And boy did they know how to keep making Tom Hiddleston look dreamy. 

To be fair this isn't exactly a hard thing to do <_<

I sort of liked it, though I felt it was a little too much of

Spoiler

a feel good ending. Also, I'm tired of stories of 'good guy infiltrates bad guy's gang, boss' lover falls in love with said good guy, both team up to send gang to jail'. It's just so... unrealistic? Granted the whole plot of this had a suspension of disbelief throughout.

I didn't mind it so much, they built the whole thing up really well, Roper felt like a bad guy, but one you kind of understand a little more. Yeah, it was a bit feel-good, but hardly a huge glorious air-punch that it could've been. Also, it was nice to have a little bit of happy after weeks of brooding. They certainly could've done something more interesting, but I thought the journey, and how it was done, was more than enough for me. 

Wanna crack on with more British stuff, want to give Thirteen or the A-Word a try next. Still got Wolf Hall and The Last Kingdom to catch up on too. Also wanna dive back a littler further and do Tinker Tailor  Soldier Spy and The Singing Detective. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It wasn't even that much of a criticism but it is the only thing I can find wrong about the show. It was so well shot that I had to keep reminding myself that it was a series and not a movie. 

6 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

There's a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy series?!

Also, hurry up and get on the Last Kingdom wagon, that was one of the best series of last year, truly magnificent stuff.

Old BBC miniseries. Unless you meant the film in which case how could you miss it?

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

It wasn't even that much of a criticism but it is the only thing I can find wrong about the show. It was so well shot that I had to keep reminding myself that it was a series and not a movie. 

Old BBC miniseries. Unless you meant the film in which case how could you miss it?

Yeah, the Alec Guinness one. Had it on my shelf for two years but just haven't got round to it. If it's anywhere near as good as Edge of Darkness I'll be over the moon. 

1 hour ago, MDK said:

The film was amazeballs. I'd love to see the series now. It has Alex Guinness?! But I already have so much to watch :( 

Fresh Off The Boat is still great.

"I'm a little white kid flirting with scoliosis. That's your bar?" made me legit laugh out loud. I love Eddie's friends.

Murdered by My Father is worth checking out on BBC Three, or on BBC One when it airs next Tuesday. It's the kind of thing that BBC Three should totally be commissioning, and I hope there's a lot more one-off dramas to come. Having gone to the start of the Alan Clarke retrospective at the BFI, it's kind of clear how important the Play of Today's were, and the opportunities it provided for young artists. It would be great if BBC Three became a place for new artists in a similar way.

American Crime Story went from being entertaining to just really fucking good. Awesome finale that somehow still managed to work even though the outcome was known. Just a really great show. In my opinion it's probably neck and neck with Better Call Saul for best show of the year. 

Sidenote, found out the forewoman on the jury actually played OJ's wife in the Naked Gun, which was kinda cool. 

• Like 1