General Television Thread

Hellfire

Elijah Wood's been signed up for an American version of Dirk Gently (though not playing Dirk). Still haven't forgiven the BBC for cancelling the last one, so fingers crossed it's decent. Weirdly just heard Stephen Mangan voice over a Bake Off ad as I typed that...

• Like 2

Garry Shandling - of It's Garry Shandling's Show and the Larry Sanders Show - has died. Reports are that he had a medical emergency of some sort and was rushed to an LA hospital, where he passed away. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colly said:

Elijah Wood's been signed up for an American version of Dirk Gently (though not playing Dirk). Still haven't forgiven the BBC for cancelling the last one, so fingers crossed it's decent. Weirdly just heard Stephen Mangan voice over a Bake Off ad as I typed that...

I can't imagine anyone other than Mangan playing Dirk

• Like 2

There's loads of fairly good scenes in Ballers, but I just can't quite grasp the overall point of it. It's just some wealthy guys overcoming minor issues and generally being happy, I watched the whole series expecting something to happen and in the end they signed some more massive contracts then it ended. Gripping. If it wasn't for the Rock being stupidly watchable I'd have quit in episode 1.

3 minutes ago, Colly said:

There's loads of fairly good scenes in Ballers, but I just can't quite grasp the overall point of it. It's just some wealthy guys overcoming minor issues and generally being happy, I watched the whole series expecting something to happen and in the end they signed some more massive contracts then it ended. Gripping. If it wasn't for the Rock being stupidly watchable I'd have quit in episode 1.

Yeah, the only reason I'm watching is because The Rock is really good in this. I hope they put a bit more effort into a plot for the next series.

Oh yeah, I need to pick that back up. I got about half way through the first season and thought they were starting to get somewhere, but I was still mostly just watching for The Rock. They were really trying to include a lot of characters, without really telling much of a story, in half an hour episodes, which was definitely problematic for me. More than easy enough to watch, though. I mean, I think it was trying to study masculinity, right? But it just kind of went about it in a way that felt like it was trying to appeal to a certain market without having any interest in creating any female characters whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, Colly said:

"Oh no here's a scandal, whoops here's Rob Corddry and The Rock to fix it, yay everything's OK now". That's about the gist of it. It seemed like any time it they were starting what I thought was going to be a major plot point, by the next episode it was wrapped up neatly with a bow on top. I'm hoping season 2 focuses a little more on Spencer Strasmore's potential concussion problems, as well as Charles Greene's problems.

The Night Manager finished in really good form last night, and I really hope we get more of that kind of prestige Drama. It's almost embarrassing how much better the BBC is than ITV at the moment (Grantchester aside), which was backed up even further by Maigret Sets A Trap tonight. They had the foresight to rightly gamble on Rowan Atkinson in a credible and noteworthy dramatic turn, but they couldn't quite get everything else up to scratch. It doesn't help that the flow was consistently disrupted by a ridiculous amount of adverts, but it feels like a missed opportunity because Atkinson really did impress. 

• Like 1

Does anyone else find themselves struggling to bother watching British shows? I've had about new British six shows that sound interesting in 2016, but I've only bothered to watch two, and one of them (Stag) I gave up on half way through the first episode. The other is Aliens, for reference, and I like that.

There's something about the way we Brits shoot TV that puts me off just diving into shows.