General Television Thread

Hellfire

2 hours ago, Lars Mulder said:

Soooo Animal Kingdom or Preacher? Which new show should I check out?

Preacher's pretty nuts.

14 hours ago, Lars Mulder said:

Soooo Animal Kingdom or Preacher? Which new show should I check out?

Preacher, definitely. It don't fuck about in the first episode.

See, I've heard different. AVClub gave it an overall B grade and had nice things to say, but the fact that it's a "TNT drama" makes me cautious of it, considering 99% of "TNT drama" is "boring procedural".

8 hours ago, Cloudy said:

See, I've heard different. AVClub gave it an overall B grade and had nice things to say, but the fact that it's a "TNT drama" makes me cautious of it, considering 99% of "TNT drama" is "boring procedural".

Oh, its boring, alright. I should have known better and given up a week earlier than i did. There's far too much talking, not enough action. They're criminals, but through 5 episodes they've not done much after the first episode, which had a nighttime jewelry store robbery.. And with all the yammering going on, how did they reveal two characters were gay? By showing them having sex in episode 5. People can't shut the fuck up on the show, so you'd think they'd have revealed that some other way than showing them going at it. 

It'll probably be renewed, but I won't be watching. 

On 08/07/2016 at 09:32, Benji said:

Apparently the second season puts way more focus on Kublai Khan and family, which interests me far more than Marco Polo does.

Down to a Sunless Sea 

1 hour ago, Cymbols said:

New Blood, that mini series on BBC is well good. Hopefully they'll do more than just the first seven episodes.

Ooh, really? Tell me more. Always wanna give my time to good British stuff. 

I finished Thirteen, BBC 3's first original drama, and it kind've ended on a sour note as the show plunged beyond the point of plausibility and believability, but it's refreshing to see a young writer given the opportunity to experiment. It's definitely still a worthwhile watch, but it doesn't live up to the potential it started to set itself in the first few episodes. Kind of happy with how BBC 3 has been since its gone online, Murdered By Father was great and they have a knew female-driven comedy starting in two weeks which sounds interesting. 

I think I might try Marcella for my next British show in a while, which was on ITV a while back. It does seem like we only wanna produce Police-driven drama or historical fiction though. 

For now, I'm gonna do Show Me A Hero. Had to stop halfway into the first episode, but I just know I'm gonna like it. Oscar Isaacs and Alfred Molina is enough of a sell, let alone David Simon. I already think I'm gonna commit to Treme at some point. I honestly had very little interest before, but after The Wire, I'm literally happy to watch anything with Simon's name attached. 

I will do Better Call Saul & Daredevil at some point, and I still hold an interest in Sense 8. As well as still having not properly done The Sopranos or Deadwood. 

What new TV is worth watching? Something recent I can jump into which has either started recently, or only has a season or two. I've really not paid attention to anything recently which isn't a Netflix thing. 

Edited by Jimmy

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Ooh, really? Tell me more. Always wanna give my time to good British stuff. 

I finished Thirteen, BBC 3's first original drama, and it kind've ended on a sour note as the show plunged beyond the point of plausibility and believability, but it's refreshing to see a young writer given the opportunity to experiment. It's definitely still a worthwhile watch, but it doesn't live up to the potential it started to set itself in the first few episodes. Kind of happy with how BBC 3 has been since its gone online, Murdered By Father was great and they have a knew female-driven comedy starting in two weeks which sounds interesting. 

I think I might try Marcella for my next British show in a while, which was on ITV a while back. It does seem like we only wanna produce Police-driven drama or historical fiction though. 

For now, I'm gonna do Show Me A Hero. Had to stop halfway into the first episode, but I just know I'm gonna like it. Oscar Isaacs and Alfred Molina is enough of a sell, let alone David Simon. I already think I'm gonna commit to Treme at some point. I honestly had very little interest before, but after The Wire, I'm literally happy to watch anything with Simon's name attached. 

I will do Better Call Saul & Daredevil at some point, and I still hold an interest in Sense 8. As well as still having not properly done The Sopranos or Deadwood. 

What new TV is worth watching? Something recent I can jump into which has either started recently, or only has a season or two. I've really not paid attention to anything recently which isn't a Netflix thing. 

Well the two main guys are relative unknowns I think, but they work really well together. Good mix of drama, action and comedy, I'm a huge fan. A fair few new actors/actresses in the main roles, plus a couple of more well known people like Mark Addy (who is funny as fuck in it as like a miserable old school detective). I recommend. 

Any watched Stranger Things on Netflix? I've heard quite decent things but not got around to trying it yet.

EDIT: Actually, ignore that - it isn't actually released until Friday.

1 hour ago, DFF said:

Any watched Stranger Things on Netflix? I've heard quite decent things but not got around to trying it yet.

EDIT: Actually, ignore that - it isn't actually released until Friday.

It's perfect timing for me, just finished Crazy Ex-girlfriend last night and I'm on holiday from work for a week from Saturday :D

19 hours ago, Benji said:

Crazy Ex-girlfriend S1E18

Hide contents

Did not like that ending at all. Comedy has been great, drama largely ditto, but that ending basically undid every bit of growth Bex experienced in the last few episodes.

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm really curious how season 2 handles that because that's... gonna take some work.

Still a really good show, probably comfortably in my top 15 for the year (which doesn't seem like it's gonna be nearly as competitive for me as last year, though) but very precarious position to put itself in.