General Television Thread

Hellfire

Episode three of Outcast and I need it to step up its big story sooner rather than later. It's not bad, it just feels very freak of the week and there's clearly something bigger going on that it is holding off on. Reminds me of Agents of Shield in that respect.

22 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:
  Hide contents

They could go that way. Honestly, I have absolutely no clue what a season six looks like, and that would have been a really great series finale. But they've earned my goodwill with this season 5, so.

All of Season 5 was so good, but that finale was just too depressing, even for VEEP standards. Plus, the political nerd in me was just pissed off the entire time about the way they handled the election, being that it has no bearing to what would actually happen. But JLD was on fire

"I really I hope I didn't fuck Richard."

In other shows, just started Season 2 of Deadwood. I guess poor Anna Gunn was just born to be the wet blanket wife.

Watched the first season of The League yesterday. It's a mixed bag, mostly funny, but some bits just weren't hitting. I enjoyed it enough that I'll stick with it, especially during the TV off-season, since I've got all of about 8 hours of new TV a week at the moment, probably less.

I also got through season six of Modern Family the other day (seven comes to Sky box sets next month), and still love it. Like I say, I didn't really notice any major dip in quality beyond a bit of inconsistency, but marathoning it probably hid the not as good episodes well.

I watched the first episode of The League and all I could think was - this show is not for me. I'm sure lots of other people get enjoyment from it, but that was like being stuck in my own personal hell for 20 minutes. 

After watching the first two episodes when it first aired last year, I've finally got around to watching more of Ballers. I'm 6 episodes in now after getting through four in the last couple of days. Should comfortably get the last four out of the way before season 2 starts. I like it!

• Like 1

Ballers S1 was the most hit-and-miss show that I kept up with for whatever reason. The most frustrating thing was that they'd present stakes for Ricky or Charles, only to wrap it up neatly with a bow on top by the end of the episode or by mid-episode the next. It was really puzzling, but it seemed like the focus was a lot more on "LOOK HOW CRAZY ATHLETES LIVE" rather than any sort of dramatic stakes.

And yet I'm still going to tune in for S2 next month. The Rock, John David Washington & Rob Corddry kill it pretty regularly.

28 minutes ago, Benji said:

I couldn't even get past the first episode of that. Found absolutely nothing likeable about the characters :(

I agree. I pressed on to the end of the series expecting something in the way of development and got nothing at all. The Rock was the only thing keeping me going.

6 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Ballers S1 was the most hit-and-miss show that I kept up with for whatever reason

The Rock is pretty much the most entertaining person on the planet when he's not wrestling, so I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Ballers S1 was the most hit-and-miss show that I kept up with for whatever reason. The most frustrating thing was that they'd present stakes for Ricky or Charles, only to wrap it up neatly with a bow on top by the end of the episode or by mid-episode the next. It was really puzzling, but it seemed like the focus was a lot more on "LOOK HOW CRAZY ATHLETES LIVE" rather than any sort of dramatic stakes.

And yet I'm still going to tune in for S2 next month. The Rock, John David Washington & Rob Corddry kill it pretty regularly.

That's what Entourage was.  They'd be great at the beginning of the season, Vinny would say "It's gonna be a great year," they would have struggles mid-season, Turtle and Drama would do wacky shit and by the end a "Dues ex machina" role would fall into Vinny's lap and everything would be great. These shows aren't meant to have real stakes and instead just show how awesome celebrity life is.

If it gets to be too Entourage-y I'ma have to bounce. I put up with Entourage for like 3 seasons and that's time I can't get back.

I remember reading here that people weren't happy with the way women were treated in Ballers, early on at least, but to be honest, the guys aren't portrayed much better.

There's been some hilarious lines so far, and the scene when Spencer gets the ball thrown into the back of his head on the beach was great.

I'm extremely behind on all my television, but I did just catch up with Peaky Blinders which had another outstanding season. For me, it's completely driven by the acting, which is absolutely sublime, and there's a nice style that accompanies it. It's definitely heightened, without every fully typing into melodramatic, but its great to see a British series try and tackle something like this in terms of scope. The finale, as is expected, was really great stuff. 

Wrestling between what to watch next; Show Me A Hero, Better Call Saul (S2) or Daredevil (S2). There's still so much I wanna catch up on, including a bunch of British stuff I missed (Thirteen, Wolf Hall) but it's too hard to keep on top of it. Life's hard, hey? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Is The Borgias any good? I love Jeremy Irons as an actor but can't separate him from his shitty comments about gay marriage years ago, so I'm hoping he's meant to be utterly unlikeable in it >_>

I remember watching the first season years ago and enjoying it a lot. Lots of intrigues and backstabbing IIRC. And as far as Jeremy Iron's character is concerned I don't think you are supposed to like him. While he is not completely evil and has a conscience he does a lot of despicable stuff. I suppose you could compare him to Tywin Lannister if Tywinn actually really cared about his children

• Like 1