General Television Thread

Hellfire

6 hours ago, Benji said:

I think Richard on Veep might be one of my favourite characters on TV right now. His delivery is just pitch perfect every time.

https://www.splettnet.net/

• Like 1

"Richard, you good boy!" this week absolutely killed me. Second only to Selina basically ripping Nickerson's heart out of her chest near the end there.

• Like 1

So the opening scene to Outcast...

Spoiler

Yikes that was one way to grab the attention. That was pretty damn grim.

They seem to really be milking the Kirkman factor and trying to do The Walking Dead Mark II (III?), even the opening titles are blatantly lifted from two's visual style.

Tonight is make-or-break with me and Wayward Pines. I really enjoyed the first season, but this year I haven't really gotten into it at all. It could be because I watch it right after Lucha Underground, but I think it might have been one of those stories that didn't need to continue...

• Like 1

I have Wayward on series link but might not bother if reviews aren't favourable. I didn't think it needed to continue, either.

Oh, Outcast too. If people could give some spoiler free thoughts on that, that'd be great. Going off what Benji said, I don't mind it being like WD as I like the show(s).

I'll be watching episode two. It wasn't great but it had some cool moments and has a chance to grow. I think it brings nothing new to that Exorcist/possession genre in general, but the way it's shot and the fact that the genre generally has films and there's not too many TV shows that focus exclusively on that particular element of the supernatural should help it stand out.

Plus Philip Glenister is in it and he's always brilliant.

I'm going to miss Royal Pains when it ends later this summer. It fit nicely with the likes of shows like Psych and Monk, as a lightly serialized bit of popcorn fun during the last six or seven summers. There's enough character drama to keep viewers invested, but it's not so serialized that you can't just jump in at any episode and have a good time. It's also the last of those USA originals, and I'm still surprised that it premiered as far back as 2009. USA's old originals (Burn Notice, Psych, Monk, White Collar, etc) provided a nice contrast to prestige dramas and uber-serious, serialized TV. Now when Royal Pains ends I'll have to find a new light serial popcorn show to watch.

Aren't there a ton of those still around? Suits, UnREAL, Casual, Shameless, heck, maybe it's just me, but all the superhero TV shows are considered that, right? Unless I've completely missed the boat on what shows you mean.

CMT has picked up Nashville for a fifth season, which basically means things cuts to the budget a-go-go.

Archer S7 finale - MAJOR SPOILERS.

Spoiler

... holy shitsnacks that last twist was great. I mean, if the show doesn't get renewed (which is still hasn't been), that's basically it, Archer is officially dead >_>

6 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Aren't there a ton of those still around? Suits, UnREAL, Casual, Shameless, heck, maybe it's just me, but all the superhero TV shows are considered that, right? Unless I've completely missed the boat on what shows you mean.

I could never get into Suits, I think I've been burnt out by legal dramas in general.

But more specifically, I was talking about what USA calls "blue-sky dramas". 

This blurb about it from AVClub sums up what I'm talking about:

Hammer credited what had become the network’s house style, favoring “aspirational, upbeat characters” and “a blue-skies feel.” In other words: Rather than making brooding action series set in grimy warehouses or nerve-wracking medical dramas set in crumbling city hospitals, USA put wisecracking, hopeful professionals in resort communities, where they could do their work and maybe sip the occasional tropical drink by the beach.

Caught up on so much TV today. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee is still funny as fuck, I'm glad UnREAL is back in a big way (although the way this season looks to be heading, I might regret wanting a second season), and Angie Tribeca is even more weird and even more amazing this season.

Oh, and I watched the first two episodes of Preacher, really liked them both. Looks to be a damn well made show so far.

• Like 1