General Television Thread

Hellfire

Two minutes into the Porridge sequel and I'm out. That laugh track is like something out of The Simpsons Burns and Smithers sitcom.

Has anyone seen 100 Code? I love Dominic Monaghan but not a big fan of that style of Scandinavian crime drama that it seems to be inspired by. Any good?

The Night Of was really good. At times slow in pace it ends up paying off because it helps build the tone and atmosphere. Without it I'm not sure that the finale would have been as good so what seemed strange at first ended up working out in the end. 

It will be interesting to see if HBO wants to do more because they may be a little gun shy after True Detective season 2 but I find it hard to believe they won't at least try.

Jaden has a smallish role in it and, though his acting is not great, he is suited for the character. So it works. 

I really love the show. It is the type of show where I love all the equal parts together but would nitpick them all of it all did not work so well together. I also love disco and hip hop, so I think I was willingly to let overlook it's flaws. 

4 hours ago, RPS said:

Jaden has a smallish role in it and, though his acting is not great, he is suited for the character. So it works. 

I really love the show. It is the type of show where I love all the equal parts together but would nitpick them all of it all did not work so well together. I also love disco and hip hop, so I think I was willingly to let overlook it's flaws. 

I've seen the first episode, or at most parts of it (I was, um, a bit distracted :pervert:), but it was really entertaining, from what I've seen, at least. Mind you, half the time I have no idea what people were saying.

Really entertaining is a good summary of the show. Not world or mind changing, but a fun way to spend your time. 

Also - really great music.  

S11 E20 may be one of the best Supernatural episodes I ever saw. It probably doesn't stand well as a single episode, but anyone who has stuck with the show the last three or four seasons would really like it I think.

Spoiler

That was basically a love story to the entire Metatron character. He is such a fucking good character, so happy to see him getting a little redemption.

• Like 1

My Name Is Earl creator apparently did an AMA a couple years back and stated what his intent was for the finale. I figured I hadn't read it so others might not have and want to know what they intended also since all we got was that cliffhanger. Here is what he put. I like it:

Spoiler

We never really got the chance to fully figure it out but the talk in the writers room was that Earl Jr’s Dad was going to be someone famous. Like Dave Chappelle or Lil John. Someone that came to town on tour and Joy slept with. But when we got canceled we never got the chance to figure it out. I was worried about doing a cliffhanger but I asked NBC if it was safe to do one at the end of the season and they told me it was. I guess it wasn’t.

I had always had an ending to Earl and I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to see it happen. You’ve got a show about a guy with a list so not seeing him finish it is a bummer. But the truth is, he wasn’t ever going to finish the list. The basic idea of the ending was that while he was stuck on a really hard list item he was going to start to get frustrated that he was never going to finish it. Then he runs into someone who had a list of their own and Earl was on it. They needed to make up for something bad they had done to Earl. He asks them where they got the idea of making a list and they tell him that someone came to them with a list and that person got the idea from someone else. Earl eventually realizes that his list started a chain reaction of people with list and that he’s finally put more good into the world than bad. So at that point he was going to tear up his list and go live his life. Walk into the sunset a free man. With good karma.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

I forgot My Name Is Earl never got a proper ending. 

Whenever I heard that "...my name is Earl" at the end of the opening credits it reminded me of "... and welcome to jackass"

• Like 2