10 Oscar nominees?

arwrestling

• 4 weeks later...

You know what? I feel like doing this. After the Oscars are over. Yeah. I guess this can also be like an Oscar discussion thread or... something.

Best Director

Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker

James Cameron - Avatar

Lee Daniels - Precious....

Jason Reitman - Up in the Air

Quentin Tarrantio - Inglorious Basterds

*Joel and Ethan Coen - A Serious Man

*Pete Docter - Up

*Neil Blomkamp - District 9

*Henry Selick - Coraline

*Duncan Jones - Moon

Best Actor

Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart as Bad Blake

George Clooney - Up in the Air as Ryan Bingham

Colin Firth - A Single Man as George Falconer

Morgan Freeman - Invictus as Nelson Mandela

Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker as Sgt. William James

*Sharlito Copley - District 9 as Wikus van de Mewe

*Michael Stuhlbarg - A Serious Man as Larry Gopnik

*Jackie Earle Haley - Watchmen as Walter Kovacs/Rorschach

*Sam Rockwell - Moon as Sam Bell

*Woody Harrelson - Zombieland as Tallahassee

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side as Leigh Anne Tuohy

Helen Mirren - The Last Station as Sofya Tolstoy

Carey Mulligan - An Education as Jenny Miller

Gabourey Sidibe - Precious... as Clarieece Jones

Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia as Julia Child

*Melanie Laurent - Inglourious Basterds as Shoshanna Dreyfuss

*Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart as Jean Craddock

*Dakota Fanning - Coraline as Coraline Jones

*Marion Cotillard - Public Enemies as Billie Frechette

*Rachel Weisz - The Brothers Bloom as Penelope Stamp

Best Supporting Actor

Matt Damon - Invictus as François Piennar

Woody Harrelson - The Messenger as Capt. Tony Stone

Christopher Plummer - The Last Station as Leo Tolstoy

Stanley Tucci - The Lovely Bones as George Harvey

Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds as Col. Hans Landa

*Stephen Lang - Avatar as Col. Miles Quaritch

*Brad Pitt - Inglourious Basterds as Lt. Aldo Raine

*Stephen Graham - Public Enemies as Baby Face Nelson

*Zachary Quinto - Star Trek as Spock

*Fred Melamed - A Serious Man as Sy Abelman

Best Supporting Actress

Penélope Cruz - Nine as Carla Albanese

Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air as Alex Goran

Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart as Jean Craddock

Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air as Natalie Keener

Mo'Nique - Precious... as Mary Lee Johnston

*Diane Kruger - Inglourious Basterds as Bridget von Hammersmark

*Zoe Saldana - Star Trek as Nyota Uhura

*Sigourney Weaver - Avatar as Dr. Grace Augustine

*Rashida Jones - I Love You, Man as Zooey Rice

*Rinko Kikuchi - The Brothers Bloom as Bang Bang

... um. Yeah. Happy with what I had in director and actor, kind of okay on supporting actor, but holy shit Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress turned into "oh yes, she is an actress and she was in this movie and she was good/not bad/okay/um. She was in a movie and I didn't hate it." Seriously, I gave The Brothers Bloom nominations. What?

As for Actual Oscars, uneventful but not in a bad way. Sandra Bullock winning makes me twitch but I've never actually seen The Blind Side (or any other movie nominated in that category, god, why haven't I seen An Education yet at least), so. Yes.

Just glad Avatar didn't win Best Picture... and I have to raise an eyebrow to the rage from soldiers that say The Hurt Locker isn't what really happens in Iraq. Well no shit, it's best picture, not best documentary. I also can't put balloons on my house and go on a magical journey.

Yeah. I was rooting for Basterds as the only one I loved that had a hope (though really Up should have won it), as I've yet to see Hurt Locker, but Avatar losing was what was important. Cue the chorus of "THE OSCARS ARE OUT OF TOUCH WITH AMERICA" over that.

I would've liked to see Basterds pick up something that wasn't supporting actor. Waltz deserved it on every level, buy I thought Basterds could've bagged best original screenplay - if nothing else. Maybe it's just the fact that I didn't like the Hurt Locker as much as everyone else - and I didn't get the hype. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Yeah. I was rooting for Basterds as the only one I loved that had a hope (though really Up should have won it), as I've yet to see Hurt Locker, but Avatar losing was what was important. Cue the chorus of "THE OSCARS ARE OUT OF TOUCH WITH AMERICA" over that.

I don't know, you'd have to be pretty simple minded to actually consider Avatar worth much more than the Special Effects awards etc. I don't think I would have argued all that much with Director, but Best Picture is just silly. Then again, I didn't think The Hurt Locker was really all that.

I'm just glad Jeff Bridges took away Best Actor this year. I love me some Jeff Bridges and can't wait to see Crazy Heart. wub.gif

The right movie won. The right director won. Couldn't ask for anything better. Good showing.

This.

The Hurt Locker was one of my favorite movies of the year and it definitely deserved it's honors. I love Inglourious Basterds but it doesn't strike me as something the Academy would seriously get behind.

I would've liked to have seen Jeremy Renner win Best Actor but that's because I've seen The Hurt Locker and haven't seen Crazy Heart yet. Once I see it, that'll probably change because Jeff Bridges is awesome.

I don't know, you'd have to be pretty simple minded to actually consider Avatar worth much more than the Special Effects awards etc. I don't think I would have argued all that much with Director, but Best Picture is just silly.

Every year, FOX News comes on the day after The Oscars and throws a shit fit about how the Hollywood elitist liberals are out of touch with mainstream America and give Best Picture to movies no one saw. I especially remember them pissing themselves with anger when No Country For Old Men won out over their pick, which was probably Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector or Meet The Spartans. Hollywood usually appeases this attitude when something major comes around, and that's why Titanic won in 1997 and Return of the King won in 2003, even though they obviously weren't the best movies to come out those years. Considering the fact that Avatar is the biggest movie ever made, I'm genuinely shocked they didn't give it the Oscar, especially after it won the Golden Globe. Avatar didn't have any business even being nominated, but I think the point GoGo made is exactly why it was.

Melanie Laurent was a definite "damn, missed the boat" moment, although, that race was especially tough. From what I've heard, Streep is just awesome in Julie and Julia, and the other actresses were at the top of their game. Sandra wasn't bad in Blind Side. Not worthy of an Oscar, but that's an appeasing moment considering how much middle America LOVES Sandra Bullock and because the movie wasn't bad and was likable enough to rest on its cliches. Everything else fit to expectations. I find it interesting the fuck you to Jason Reitman gotten because Precious got the upset in winning for Best Adapted Screenplay. That situation involving UITA's screenplay is more fascinating than the entirety of the Oscars show itself. (Even NPH singing.)

Crash was a quality film. I remember watching it a few years after it won it's oscar and instantly agreeing with the decision. Very, very good film.

No, it really isn't. It's a series of boring, cliche, semi-racist films haphazardly thrown together in some elitist attempt of "identifying with LA". I've lived in LA, and that movie is complete and utter shit.

• Like 1