The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

And I'm of the belief that the Lions should take Okung.

You don't watch a lot of Lions game, do you?

Detroit, in no way, should pass Suh. They blew the chance last year taking a OT when they took Pettigrew. The Lions defense needs to be looked at more than the offensive line right now. If Suh is gone, maybe take Okung or Davis (because I don't trust the franchise with a project like McCoy), but if Suh's there, you take him.

Yes I do, and I've seen Stafford get totally abused behind that line. I know Schwartz wanted to build a strong, smashmouth team, but they should work with the cards' they've been dealt, and that means focusing the team around Stafford & Johnson for the forseeable future.

They shouldn't take an OT because they didn't take one last year? That's stupid.

Davis?

You don't watch a lot of college football, do you? Davis is terrible, he shouldn't even be a first round pick. And project? McCoy? Yeah, nevermind. Just answered my own question.

But holy shit, I don't want to do this again. I've explained why I like Okung for them, so I'll just leave it at that.

and it's similar for the Steelers, because Big Ben hasn't played well in either of their two victories. As for your beloved Cards, they play in a weak division, in a weak conference, got hot at the right time, and still didn't win shit. Oh, and it was a DEFENSIVE play that won that game for Pittsburgh.

Yeah I know, I'm a homer and all that.

I just want to point out that without Ben the Steelers don't even get to Super Bowl XL and the Steelers defense won Super Bowl XLIII? I disagree. Yeah Harrison's pick six played a huge role, but then the defense went out and blew the game in the second half.

And if not for Ben Roethlisberger's heroic final drive in which he had to overcome a holding call that negated a big first down and ended with one of the best passes in Super Bowl history, the Steelers lose that game.

Sure Ben's stats weren't amazng, but he had a better completion percentage than Warner and he undoubtedly had the biggest play of the game.

Yinz may continue with your DT/QB argument.

Edited by Evil Chase K

But he knows what the NFL GM\'s do not, Maxx!

lol, what are you talking about? I guarantee you the exact same arguments/discussions are going on amongst teams's executives, especially those in a position to land one of the elite players. Unless you're referring to guys like Kiper and McShay, who form a large part of the "mainstream" opinion on the draft/draft prospects because of their jobs with ESPN, I guess.

and it's similar for the Steelers, because Big Ben hasn't played well in either of their two victories. As for your beloved Cards, they play in a weak division, in a weak conference, got hot at the right time, and still didn't win shit. Oh, and it was a DEFENSIVE play that won that game for Pittsburgh.

I just want to point out that without Ben the Steelers don't even get to Super Bowl XL and the Steelers defense won Super Bowl XLIII? I disagree. Yeah Harrison's pick six played a huge role, but then the defense went out and blew the game in the second half.

And if not for Ben Roethlisberger's heroic final drive in which he had to overcome a holding call that negated a big first down and ended with one of the best passes in Super Bowl history, the Steelers lose that game.

Sure Ben's stats weren't amazng, but he had a better completion percentage than Warner and he undoubtedly had the biggest play of the game.

I'm not looking to get into a debate about it, and it doesn't even matter because they won both games, but Ben played like shit against the Seahawks, and wasn't amazing against Arizona.

I know the Steelers are kinda moving away from 'Steeler' football, and a lot of that has to do with Ben, but I'm not sure I'd consider him a top five guy or anything. Frimg top five, and there is an argument to be made there, but he's clearly behind the top three, and I'd probably list Rivers ahead of him too. From there it's a toss-up with guys like McNabb , Eli, and Favre, although I'd probably rank Ben over Eli.

I'm not looking to get into a debate about it, and it doesn't even matter because they won both games, but Ben played like shit against the Seahawks, and wasn't amazing against Arizona.

I know the Steelers are kinda moving away from 'Steeler' football, and a lot of that has to do with Ben, but I'm not sure I'd consider him a top five guy or anything. Frimg top five, and there is an argument to be made there, but he's clearly behind the top three, and I'd probably list Rivers ahead of him too. From there it's a toss-up with guys like McNabb , Eli, and Favre, although I'd probably rank Ben over Eli.

Aaron Rodgers?

There's the top 3, then Rivers, then the future elite like Rodgers/Schaub. I'd put Roethlisberger around that Rodgers/Schaub level, but he's obviously already fully established himself.

Let me list the guys who I think are better or who will very soon be better than Roethlisberger, and this ain't a short list: Manning, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Favre, Schaub, Manning (E), Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez, McNabb. I'm ranking Roethlisberger not even top ten because nothing about him grabs me and demands he should be. He's not special, no matter how much Chase and his ilk will complain.

• Like 1

Apparently, Seattle's so excited about the man, the myth, the legend Charlie Whitehurst that they're ready to peddle Matt Hasselbeck:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/03/17/hasselbeck-days-in-seattle-numbered/

Over/under on Pete Carroll being back in college: 3 seasons.

If we had a stable decent(not even great, just decent) offensive line, then it wouldn't be too much of a problem keeping him around for at least one or two more seasons.

Still, this is a weird time to be a Seahawks fan. Slowly I'm watching all of my favorites(Hasselbeck, Jones, Alexander, etc.) get old and to the point of retirement/obscurity, and it kinda sucks. No idea what to think of the Whitehurst situation until he plays a game that matters, and I'm wondering how long we're going to be rebuilding. I know it's going to be a while for sure...

Yes, because getting rid of an older, increasingly injury prone player is the worst thing you could ever do.

Yes, especially for a third-stringer who hasn't thrown a pass in five years because he couldn't beat out Billy "Shot My Whole Career Load in Four Games in 2003" Volek.

• Like 1

Let me list the guys who I think are better or who will very soon be better than Roethlisberger, and this ain't a short list: Manning, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Favre, Schaub, Manning (E), Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez, McNabb. I'm ranking Roethlisberger not even top ten because nothing about him grabs me and demands he should be. He's not special, no matter how much Chase and his ilk will complain.

You can keep saying that all you want but that doesn't make it true. The guy's a winner, plain and simple. I realize that as a Ravens' fan you're not exactly a Ben fan and that's fine. But to say guys like Eli, Flacco, and McNabb are better than Ben is absolutely laughable.

Ben is waaay more clutch than Flacco and McNabb, and Eli really has only had one good run.

I'll give you Peyton, Brady and Brees. Rivers and Rodgers need to a win a Championship before they can even be on Ben's level, IMO.

I could give you lots of solid statistical reasons why Ben is a Top 5 NFL QB if you want.

He also lead the league in sexual assaults by a quarterback. Ben's going to become pretty irrelevant if he ends up in jail.

As for Whitehurst...he's a 3rd year pro. The Chargers have been a playoff team for the past 3 seasons, why the hell would you make your less experienced QB your back up if you're constantly in a playoff race? Seriously, are you saying that in Whitehurst's first two seasons, the Chargers should have played him over Volek if Rivers got injured?

• Like 1

I could give you lots of solid statistical reasons why Ben is a Top 5 NFL QB if you want.

No you couldn't, because there is no statistical reason to support that notion. Aside from passer rating, he's not an elite passer. His career averages in passing yards (3217), completions (254.3), TDs (21.2) and INTs (13.5) are all mediocre for a guy who started immediately and has "led his team to 2 rings". When you add in that he's always amongst the league leaders in sacks taken, he's not as good as you think.

For comparison's sake, Eli's numbers (3107.3 yards, 265.5 completions, 20.8 TDs and 14.7 INTs) are almost identical in spite of Warner starting half of the games his rookie season. Eli also takes 15.3 less sacks per year (~1 per game), so if you think Eli is mediocre and Ben isn't, I'd like to know where the "statistical proof" is.

Just for fun, Flacco is better in everything (3292 yards, 286 completions, 12 INTs and ~6 fewer sacks taken) than Ben except TDs (17.5).

• Like 1