The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Brady Quinn sucks, and no one would think he was any good if he didn't play at Notre Dame.

Let's put it this way... I'm a Raiders fan, and I wouldn't want him. Of course, Gradkowski is better anyway.

As for the Wimbley deal, I'm not sure what to think of it. Heks got potential, played in the 4-3 in college, but I heard we might try him at LB. Not sure I like that.

Larry Foote re-joins the Steelers after spending a season with the Lions.

After a disheartening season spent with Detroit, the inside linebacker is returning to the Pittsburgh Steelers, signing a three-year contract Monday worth $9.3 million and a $1.8 million signing bonus, reports NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816f5809&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bears cut Jason McKie and Nathan Vasher. And sign Tim Jennings, who I honestly don't know much of so I expect he was more of a safety net for when our secondary continues the injury streak this season.

I sorta hope we cut a deal to trade Olsen for a 2nd/3rd round pick as we could really use some picks in a draft this deep. And since Martz will be running the offense, I don't think trading Olsen will hurt us that much if we can use the pick we'd get for him on a future starter for our OL or a safety that would be a steal if they happen to fall.

There's rumors (according to ESPN) that the Bears are willing to trade Olsen for some picks or a DB, but I didn't have access to the actual note because you ahve to be a member or something.

Tebow held his pro day and unveiled his new throwing motion. The media is now sucking even more to him saying that he improved his value and that he could even go in the latter part of the 1st round or early in the 2nd round.

Derek Anderson agrees to a 2-year deal with the Cardinals, seems like Leinart will have to beat DA to win the starter's job, both have very-very similar stats.

Edited by Powerhart

There's rumors (according to ESPN) that the Bears are willing to trade Olsen for some picks or a DB, but I didn't have access to the actual note because you ahve to be a member or something.

Tebow held his pro day and unveiled his new throwing motion. The media is now sucking even more to him saying that he improved his value and that he could even go in the latter part of the 1st round or early in the 2nd round.

Derek Anderson agrees to a 2-year deal with the Cardinals, seems like Leinart will have to beat DA to win the starter's job, both have very-very similar stats.

Utterly different skilsets and situations, though. Matt Leinart can still make something out of himself, Anderson.. eh, not so much.

I am shocked that Whisenhunt straight up called Leinart "his guy", though. He's a stickler for training camp competition and believes it is through competition that the best in players comes out. I hope to god he didn't do it because he feels Leinart lacks confidence or anything; that is not good news by any means.

And Foote should've signed with AZ, the bastard. He would've been a starter for us, most likely.

The Seattle Seahawks and San Diego Chargers have completed a trade that sends third-string Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle for draft picks.

The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft.

Seattle, meanwhile, has signed Whitehurst to a two-year, $8 million contract, with $2 million more in incentives.

The Chargers now have three third-round picks in 2011. They earlier acquired the New York Jets' third-round pick next year in exchange for cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

Is the guy even worth a 2nd round pick? Has he even done something to get that kind of attention?

There has been a fair amount of talk lately about Whitehurst's potential as a starting QB in the league. He was a 3rd round pick in 2006 so it's not like people haven't thought of him having some ability before, he's just been behind Phillip Rivers since he came into the league and they traded for Volek during his rookie season for a veteran backup and have just kept him around as well. Same thing that happened with Matt Hasselbeck, really as he was a career backup with the Packers before Holmgren took over the Seahawks and traded for him.

And I think the Seahawks might try and do the same thing, just this time Hasselbeck is Jon Kitna in this situation. And worst case scenario, he's a stop gap in case Hasselbeck gets hurt again (probably a fair bet he will) and they can draft their QB of the future next year when the QB class is a lot stronger.

There has been a fair amount of talk lately about Whitehurst's potential as a starting QB in the league. He was a 3rd round pick in 2006 so it's not like people haven't thought of him having some ability before, he's just been behind Phillip Rivers since he came into the league and they traded for Volek during his rookie season for a veteran backup and have just kept him around as well. Same thing that happened with Matt Hasselbeck, really as he was a career backup with the Packers before Holmgren took over the Seahawks and traded for him.

And I think the Seahawks might try and do the same thing, just this time Hasselbeck is Jon Kitna in this situation. And worst case scenario, he's a stop gap in case Hasselbeck gets hurt again (probably a fair bet he will) and they can draft their QB of the future next year when the QB class is a lot stronger.

Just like how this year's draft class was a lot stronger than last year's, and last year's stronger than the year before, and so on and so forth. I'm not saying that, as of right now, that's not the case, but perceptions in football can change with a single play/game, so I just hate when this excuse comes up.

That being said, the price is still too much. My issue with Whitehurst now being a Seahawk isn't whether or not Whitehurst will or won't be a serviceable quarterback; I don't have an idea. It's the fact that they gave up what amounts to a fringe 1st rounder for him, and for a team with as many holes as Seattle has, that's just a bad idea if Pete Carroll hopes to be anything other than #3 in the West during his tenure. And there is just something wrong about giving a player who has not thrown a single pass during the NFL season $10 million dollars over 2 years.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, and Colt McCoy have yet to throw an NFL pass and they\'ll all get bigger contracts than that. :P

Oh shit, totally the same situation!

And no, Colt McCoy will not. He won't be drafted before the 5th round, if at all. He's terrible.

While I am not a fan of McCoy's potential of being a good QB in the NFL, he is still widely seen as the 3rd best QB in the draft and almost a lock for the 2nd round.

Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, and Colt McCoy have yet to throw an NFL pass and they\'ll all get bigger contracts than that. :P

And no, Colt McCoy will not. He won't be drafted before the 5th round, if at all. He's terrible.

While I am not a fan of McCoy's potential of being a good QB in the NFL, he is still widely seen as the 3rd best QB in the draft and almost a lock for the 2nd round.

Where is this?

Jarrett Brown, Tim Tebow, Zac Robinson, Jevan Snead, John Skelton, fuckin Dan LeFevour.. I'd be willing to bet a good majority of these quarterbacks are all higher up on front office's draft boards than Colt McCoy. Widely seen as the 3rd best QB? That's insane. It's Clausen, Bradford, a handful of those guys I listed, and then maybe McCoy. If the team's shot caller is a Texas grad or something. :P

And not to argue semantics or anything, but I'd be willing to bet even a 2nd round QB wouldn't make $5 mil/year. :P Hell, Josh Freeman barely made that.. (his deal's a 5 year/$26 mil deal). After the first 12 or so picks, the money well really dries up for rookies.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, and Colt McCoy have yet to throw an NFL pass and they\'ll all get bigger contracts than that. tongue.gif

McCoy, maybe not. But Bradford and Clausen will, guaranteed, and they've yet to throw an NFL pass. And Christ, Bradford is coming off shoulder surgery. I really don't see anything wrong with giving a guy who has been in the league and studied NFL teams for a few years a bigger contract than a rookie. And, I may be mistaken, but isn't it only a two-year deal? It's not like they signed Whitehurst to a five or seven year deal like Bradford and Clausen will get.

Where is this?

Jarrett Brown, Tim Tebow, Zac Robinson, Jevan Snead, John Skelton, fuckin Dan LeFevour.. I'd be willing to bet a good majority of these quarterbacks are all higher up on front office's draft boards than Colt McCoy. Widely seen as the 3rd best QB? That's insane. It's Clausen, Bradford, a handful of those guys I listed, and then maybe McCoy. If the team's shot caller is a Texas grad or something. :P

And not to argue semantics or anything, but I'd be willing to bet even a 2nd round QB wouldn't make $5 mil/year. :P Hell, Josh Freeman barely made that.. (his deal's a 5 year/$26 mil deal). After the first 12 or so picks, the money well really dries up for rookies.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?draftyear=2010

Quarterbacks

NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL GRADE POS RANK OVR RANK

Sam Bradford QB 6'4" 214 Oklahoma 95 1 9

Jimmy Clausen QB 6'2¾" 217 Notre Dame 88 2 38

Colt McCoy QB 6'3" 211 Texas 79 3 68

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4981191

QUARTERBACKS

RANK

NAME

SCHOOL

HT

WT

CMP

ATT

YDS

TD

INT

SKD

Jimmy Clausen

6-3

Sam Bradford

6-4

Colt McCoy

6-2

Dan LeFevour

6-3

Tim Tebow

6-3

No.4 here behind a non QB Tebow

At least 4 respected and well-known sources out there saying what I told you.

Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, and Colt McCoy have yet to throw an NFL pass and they\'ll all get bigger contracts than that. tongue.gif

McCoy, maybe not. But Bradford and Clausen will, guaranteed, and they've yet to throw an NFL pass. And Christ, Bradford is coming off shoulder surgery. I really don't see anything wrong with giving a guy who has been in the league and studied NFL teams for a few years a bigger contract than a rookie. And, I may be mistaken, but isn't it only a two-year deal? It's not like they signed Whitehurst to a five or seven year deal like Bradford and Clausen will get.

Not to mention that he's been learning behind one of the better QBs in the league in Phillip Rivers and under one of the better offensive minds in the game in Norv Turner (not saying he's a great head coach) so it's not like he won't bring nothing to the table. And yeah, the contract really isn't that big. It's about on par to what the Vikings gave Rosenfels last offseason and he was the 3rd stringer on that team. Granted, he had thrown an NFL pass before but it's not like they were that good.

Maybe Mysterio's just upset that Whitehurst chose Seattle over Arizona and now he's stuck with Derek Anderson instead. :shifty: