The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

I must be missing something about the whole Boldin deal, because it looks to me we paid a pittance for a guy for would have been a #1 receiver if it weren't for being on the same team as the game's best. What's the subtext?

AZ just wanted to get it over and done with, so they were willing to accept a relatively lesser deal than normal. Anquan Boldin's also on the verge of hitting 30, is not a dominant #1 receiver in the league, is prone to injury and needed a new, long-term, high-paying contract. All of these things reduced his value.

Steelers made a few acquisitions:

Wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, who spent his first four NFL seasons in Pittsburgh, accepted a three-year deal to return to the Steelers, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reported via a league source. Randle El was released by the Washington Redskins last week after four seasons with the team.

Also coming back to the Steelers is safety Ryan Clark. Just one day after he visited the Miami Dolphins, Clark decided to stay in Pittsburgh, where he has played for the past four years. A league source told La Canfora that Clark agreed to a four-year contract expected to average $4 million guaranteed.

The Steelers also bolstered their special teams -- a weakness last season -- by signing wide receiver Arnaz Battle and safety Will Allen to three-year contracts. La Canfora reported via a league source that Battle's deal is worth $3.9 million and Allen's is worth $4.5 million.

Pittsburgh also picked up offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, who spent last season with the Buffalo Bills. Terms of his contract weren't disclosed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816d19fe&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Also, Seahawks trade Seneca Wallace to Browns for undisclosed 2011 draft pick.

I think the Jaguars could get far more useful players (Actual players, not merchandising tools) with their 3rd and 4th round picks than Tebow. They almost made the playoffs that year so they don't really need that many more pieces to compete.

I'd say to just wait until the 5th or 6th round to get Tebow. Also, his running is vastly overrated. He's not going to run over anyone in the NFL like he did in College (See: Senior Bowl) and yeah. I just don't see the point in wasting a relatively high draft pick for a guy who could easily be a bust when they could probably pick him up in the 5th round.

Are the Jaguars really hurting that badly for cash?

See: Signature. :rolleyes: .

No, really, the Jaguars are on the fringe of being relocated. They didn't even break 50,000 at the home opener against the reigning NFC Champion Arizona Cardinals. Plus, their two best players have four last names and that just isn't appealing on the back of jerseys. A #15 Tebow jersey would be on any kid's wishlist because he's been in that area his entire life.

And the Derek Anderson era error in Cleveland is over

He parlayed half a good season into 8 mil a year then went back to sucking...Worst accuracy in the NFL.

Fixed

Thats one thing I never understood. Why do teams get sucked in when a player has 1 good season. Matt Cassel, while not terrible last year, wasn't worth the contract he got. Anderson was another one too..

I think the Jaguars could get far more useful players (Actual players, not merchandising tools) with their 3rd and 4th round picks than Tebow. They almost made the playoffs that year so they don't really need that many more pieces to compete.

I'd say to just wait until the 5th or 6th round to get Tebow. Also, his running is vastly overrated. He's not going to run over anyone in the NFL like he did in College (See: Senior Bowl) and yeah. I just don't see the point in wasting a relatively high draft pick for a guy who could easily be a bust when they could probably pick him up in the 5th round.

No, really, the Jaguars are on the fringe of being relocated.

The Jags are not close to relocating. Season ticket sales are up this year. People didn't go to the games last year cause they cost too much to go to.

No, really, the Jaguars are on the fringe of being relocated.

The Jags are not close to relocating. Season ticket sales are up this year. People didn't go to the games last year cause they cost too much to go to.

He parlayed half a good season into 8 mil a year then went back to sucking...Worst accuracy in the NFL.

Fixed

Thats one thing I never understood. Why do teams get sucked in when a player has 1 good season. Matt Cassel, while not terrible last year, wasn't worth the contract he got. Anderson was another one too..

In all fairness, Cassel didn't have a running game until midway through the season when the Chiefs realized Jamaal Charles and not Larry Johnson was their running back.

Fixed

In all fairness, Cassel didn't have a running game until midway through the season when the Chiefs realized Jamaal Charles and not Larry Johnson was their running back.

That doesn't make him any less of a horrible choice to be the Chiefs's franchise QB.

And the Derek Anderson era in Cleveland is over

Just thought I'd add this on...Adam Shefter linkede to this on his Twitter page

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/03/09/sports/nh2211391.txt

Derek Anderson's contract was terminated on Tuesday.

His parting message to Browns fans will ring long after his passing statistics from the past five years fade into obscurity.

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson wrote Tuesday in a terse e-mail when asked for a reaction to being released. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured.

"I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and (we) roll them."

Anderson was cut one day after the Browns traded an undisclosed 2011 draft choice to the Seahawks for quarterback Seneca Wallace.

In the weeks leading up to the trade for Wallace, which occurred on the fourth day trades could be made this winter, Browns president Mike Holmgren remained vague on his assessment of Anderson and Brady Quinn.

He would say Quinn hadn't played enough to be judged fairly and say Anderson had passing skills but threw too many interceptions.

Holmgren said he met with Quinn once after moving into team headquarters in early January. He lamented never having hooked up with Anderson, who headed home to Oregon the day after the 2009 season ended. Anderson was the winning quarterback in the final two games of the four-game winning streak at the end of the season. His overall record as a Browns starter was 16-18.

"I never heard from anyone until today," Anderson wrote in his e-mail response. "Nobody ever tried to reach out to me, which is fine."

Anderson was with the Browns for five seasons after being picked up on waivers from the Ravens in 2005. He always had a strong camaraderie with his teammates in the locker room.

Anderson's high point during his time with the Browns was his Pro Bowl season in 2007, when he was 10-5 as a starter while completing 298 of 527 passes for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns. He threw 19 interceptions.

The low point occurred on Nov. 30, 2008, when, with 1:16 to play in a 10-6 loss to the Colts, former Browns tackle Kevin Shaffer gave up a sack to Robert Mathis. Anderson suffered a torn knee ligament on the tackle. Fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium cheered as Anderson lay on the ground in obvious pain.

Earlier in the game, with the Browns leading, 6-3, Dwight Freeney beat Joe Thomas, sacked Anderson and forced a fumble. Mathis picked up the ball and returned it 37 yards for a touchdown.

In 2008 and 2009, Anderson and Quinn were up and down as the starting quarterback. The back and forth changes, by Romeo Crennel in 2008 and by Eric Mangini in 2009, did not work out for the Browns or either player.

"I want to thank Derek for everything that he gave to the Cleveland Browns organization over the last five years," Mangini said in a statement released by the Browns, a kind sendoff that was a sharp contrast to what Anderson had to say a couple hours later. "He did everything we asked of him, and it was a pleasure to coach such a competitive person. I want to wish him all the best in the future."

Anderson never came close to matching that magical 2007 season before or after it, but his success in 2007 earned him a three-year, $24 million contract from former general manager Phil Savage.

In part, the huge contract led to his release. Anderson was due $2 million in a roster bonus a week from Friday and his 2007 contract was for $7.45 million. As Anderson was leaving the locker room after the final game of the 2009 season, he predicted his career in Cleveland was finished.

"They're not going to want to pay me that much money," he said.

This was more than a salary dump, however.

Anderson's strength was throwing the ball downfield, and that does not fit the offense the Browns are transitioning to.

Everything now points to the Browns becoming a West Coast offense — a system that emphasizes short passes to receivers in stride to open the running game. Holmgren coached the West Coast in Green Bay and Seattle for 17 years, and his right-hand man in the Browns' front office, Gil Haskell, was the offensive coordinator for Holmgren in Seattle.

During the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month, Holmgren said Haskell has been going over the nuances of the West Coast offense with Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

Wallace used the West Coast in 47 games and 14 starts with the Seahawks since 2005. Also, Quinn's talent is best suited for throwing short passes. The pecking order between Quinn and Wallace has not been defined.

General Manager Tom Heckert is expected to look for a quarterback schooled in the West Coast offense in the draft next month.

I liked Anderson and hope he gets a back up job somewhere as he deserved better. cheering when anyone gets hurt is fucking stupid. Senecca Wallace is supposed to be better? lol? the guy who is known for coming in every year when Hasselbeck is hurt and doing .... nothing.

I liked Anderson and hope he gets a back up job somewhere as he deserved better. cheering when anyone gets hurt is fucking stupid. Senecca Wallace is supposed to be better? lol? the guy who is known for coming in every year when Hasselbeck is hurt and doing .... nothing.

It was more of cheering because Brady Quinn was coming in...DA just has a low IQ and doesn't realize it.

Delhomme to the Browns...What's the point? I'd pretty much rather keep DA than have a 35 year old washed up QB who couldn't perform with a good running game and steve smith around him....He sure won't have those weapons in Cleveland.

I'm pretty sure that Anderson being due a massive roster bonus and salary this year played a part, considering they're still paying Quinn first round money, that they want to see a dividend from (but won't). Delhomme makes sense as long as he's cheapish, I haven't looked up the details yet, but they need someone to compete with Quinn for the starting role and Delhomme, albeit coming off a poor season has a record of being a consistently solid NFL QB. Something you can't say about Anderson or Quinn. Personally, I would've made a move for Pennington before he resigned with the 'Phins, but I'm not Mike Holmgren/Eric Mangini or whoever made the call and I assume they know what they're doing

Edited by The Cool One

Delhomme to the Browns...What's the point? I'd pretty much rather keep DA than have a 35 year old washed up QB who couldn't perform with a good running game and steve smith around him....He sure won't have those weapons in Cleveland.

I'm pretty sure that Anderson being due a massive roster bonus and salary this year played a part, considering they're still paying Quinn first round money, that they want to see a dividend from (but won't). Delhomme makes sense as long as he's cheapish, I haven't looked up the details yet, but they need someone to compete with Quinn for the starting role and Delhomme, albeit coming off a poor season has a record of being a consistently solid NFL QB. Something you can't say about Anderson or Quinn. Personally, I would've made a move for Pennington before he resigned with the 'Phins, but I'm not Mike Holmgren/Eric Mangini or whoever made the call and I assume they know what they're doing

I had no interest in keeping DA whatsoever, but I fail to see why signing Delhomme makes any sense...Quinn is about to be traded/cut and the starting QB competition will be Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme...God help us.

But if you didn't sign Delhomme then the QB competition would be... Seneca Wallace.

I like the trade for Wallace, I can envisage some nifty wildcat stuff with him and Cribbs on the field. He's not a starting QB though, and Delhomme was probably the best veteran QB available.

I think Quinn has a chance at winning the job. The guy is good, sure he isn't what it was expected but he isn't bad. I agree with the Walla/Cribbs/Wildcat stuff, wich will make a great alternate strategy for the Browns. The competition will probably bee between Delhomme and Quinn, Wallace will enter in Wildcat formations only and some plays (unless) Quinn is traded. That's how I see it.

I think Quinn has a chance at winning the job. The guy is good, sure he isn't what it was expected but he isn't bad. I agree with the Walla/Cribbs/Wildcat stuff, wich will make a great alternate strategy for the Browns. The competition will probably bee between Delhomme and Quinn, Wallace will enter in Wildcat formations only and some plays (unless) Quinn is traded. That's how I see it.

Quinn is being cut/traded as soon as this week, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer...

Also, Delhomme is getting paid starters money this year, 7 mil, so it's his job completely.