The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

For the 3rd time, would you care to explain why the hell you think Dez Bryant celebrating with his family is somehow indicative of the fact that he'll be trouble?

• Like 1

Just by the way Bryant and his family celebrated at home you can see his gonna be trouble.

Oh yeah, his family and his friends are excited that his (proper use of his) hard work and effort have finally paid off, he's (proper use of he's) going to be nothing but problems for the NFL, let's suspend him indefinitely right now. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I was nervous Ozzie was going to pull the trigger and trade up a spot or two to guarantee he'd get Dez Bryant. He didn't and instead he sabotaged the Denver Broncos and got some later round picks in one of the deepest drafts in awhile.

What do people think the chances are of Clausen being reunited with Charlie Weis in KC? I know they have Cassell, and they probably have a lot of faith in him, but Weis certainly must be making the hardsell to bring his guy in. At this point in the draft, Clausen is worth taking by quite a few teams. I am almost certain that if he falls to Oakland though, he'll be a Raider.

I was nervous Ozzie was going to pull the trigger and trade up a spot or two to guarantee he'd get Dez Bryant. He didn't and instead he sabotaged the Denver Broncos and got some later round picks in one of the deepest drafts in awhile.

What do people think the chances are of Clausen being reunited with Charlie Weis in KC? I know they have Cassell, and they probably have a lot of faith in him, but Weis certainly must be making the hardsell to bring his guy in. At this point in the draft, Clausen is worth taking by quite a few teams. I am almost certain that if he falls to Oakland though, he'll be a Raider.

I think it's pretty logical for the Chiefs to take him even with Cassel on the roster. If he goes unselected by KC at # 4 tomorrow, that's a pretty large indictment on what NFL scouts think of his game.

I think it's pretty logical for the Chiefs to take him even with Cassel on the roster. If he goes unselected by KC at # 4 tomorrow, that's a pretty large indictment on what NFL scouts think of his game.

From what Schefter said on twitter earlier it seems like Weis is lobbying for him. The biggest problem for the QBs this year is that most teams are willing to sit back and draft a QB next year when more then likely there will be a rookie pay scale in place.

Dan Williams is a great value at #26 overall and one of the three players I wanted most out of this draft for AZ (Sean Weatherspoon & Jerry Hughes being the others), but that was because I assumed Jimmy Clausen would be long gone by then. Dan Williams over Jimmy Clausen? Fucking Cardinals.

But, whatever. Matt Leinart, the ball is in your court. You better ball the fuck out next year.

I fucking love the CJ Spiller pick. Of course, being both a Buffalo and CJ fan ... I like it more than most. On paper, yeah they look like they're full at RB. However, Lynch is a character problem and injury issue. Jackson ? yeah great year last year but there's not telling whether or not he's the real deal. Spiller gives you another option and can also take some of the return pressure of of McKelvin so the kid doesn't get his ass lit up all the time and can concentrate more on his coverage.

And who was it, Mysterio ? that didn't have a clue about Spiller ? .... I mean seriously, Youtube the guy or something. You seriously don't have a clue on him. CJ Spiller isn't a Bush-esque type of guy. He's not an athlete that plays RB. He's an RB that is a good enough athlete to be really good at other things. There's a huge difference between the two. There's also a reason that many, many people say he was the best player in college football last year.

I also really like Mathews to SD. I really like him as well.

He's not an every down back, and I doubt he'll be able to run it up the gut or even off-tackle. He's not Chris Johnson, and the people comparing him to CJ are being unrealistic, delusional and are going to be disappointed with him. That's doesn't make him a bad player, just in the way Reggie Bush isn't a bad player, but you shouldn't expect him to be anything more than what he is - a great change-of-pace RB with versatility in how he can (and will be) used.

Really surprised the Bills didn't go with Bulaga or Dan Williams, though, as those are legit areas of need for them, but you can't hate on a team trying to acquire an explosive, home-run threat. Still, not having a great NT/the beginnings of a formidable o-line just sets them back even further, but it's the Bills, so who the fuck cares? =P

EDIT -

FSU is a big-time school that is constantly on TV. And, if I noticed how overrated Patrick Robinson is while watching FSU, I can sure as hell guarantee you NFL personnel types did, as well.

But whatever, you clearly have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, so this is futile.

Yeah Patrick Robinson is so overrated that he went 6 spots later than where I had him. I clearly have NO IDEA what the fuck I'm talking about, and those NFL personnel types think you're a genius for thinking he's so overrated.

All of the teams with a legit CB need passed up on him. The Saints, who are already 3/4 deep at the position (and who, by the way, don't exactly have the best track record with regards to the 1st round) took him as a luxury pick because he is fast, and teams always assume they can coach players up to a level where they meet their physical skill. That doesn't make him any less overrated.

Jesus fuck, you're a douchebag.

Edited by Mysterio2000X
  • Like 1

Don't tell people my secret, naiwf.

I'm higher on Tebow than most people. The only reason I think that was a bad pick was because of how much they gave up to get him. Then again, they probably didn't think he'd get past NE.

sayhder, really? Brady f'n Quinn is a better pro football player than Tebow ever will be? Everything wrong with Tebow is fixable, with time. Given three years, and he'll be a serviceable starting QB. Within five and he'll be one of the top 16 QBs in the league. I'm not saying that he'll be special, but the kid might be the best character guy EVER, he's going to work his ass off, and he's a leader. I hate his hype as much as anyone, but it's really hard to hate the man himself, and I an against his political/religious as much as anyone.

Denver has made a ton of stupid decisions since Shanahan left, and this isn't what I'd call 'smart', since they gave up so much, but the selection itself isn't horrible. If you wanted a QB, Tebow probably has more upside than anyone left, except LeFevour, who is a poor man's Tebow.

I never thought I'd say it, but I wouldn't mind Jimmy Clausen as a Raider at this point. He's worth a second rounder. Don't think he makes it past KC, though.

What are the BAPs? Anyone got a top 10?

• Like 1

*shrug* But here's some dudes who deserve to have their names called during the first half of the 2nd round tomorrow:

OT Bruce Campbell - A physical freak of nature with great strength, capable of shutting down defenders in one-on-one situations, some of the most naturally quick and athletic feet ever for an OT, but he has been so poorly coached that it'll take a year or two for him to live up to his natural talent. Still, his upside is through the rough, and now I would not mind the Cardinals making a move for him at all.

QB Jimmy Clausen - I won't go into detail here. I think I've made my opinion on him as a QB prospect pretty clear.

OT Rodger Saffold - He's supposed to be the best of all of the small-school prospects, and he definitely has prototypical size. I hear he might be a bit of a project/a better fit in a zone blocking line, but yeah. He could've dipped into the late 1st round and I doubt many people would've batted an eye.

DE Everson Griffen - Great first step for a DE, but overall inconsistent and character concerns will probably drop him (unless Mike Singletary thinks he can coach him up, too.)

WR Arrelious Benn - A big, fast, physical receiver who runs good routes and does some serious damage after the catch, but he was hampered by his QB's shitty play, injuries, and inconsistent hands (though they're not that bad - he's not DHB or Ted Ginn). Reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.

WR Damian Williams - Probably the most polished WR in the whole draft. He is a very crisp, very fluid route runner, is faster than he appears, understands how to work & read defenses, and catches anything thrown his way. Reminds me a lot of Chad OchoCinco in terms of playing style, although he also can do some damage as a return man/doesn't have Chad's big mouth.

OT Charles Brown - Probably the 2nd best polished OT in this draft (besides Bulaga) in terms of technique and understanding his position, but there are some questions about his size, if he can hold up at the next level, and if he's strong enough to do any damage as a run blocker.

DT Brian Price - A short fat man with a great first step who does some serious damage as a pass-rusher, but is scheme-limited and a liability against the run.

S Taylor Mays - A physical freak of nature who cannot cover and does not properly wrap up his targets when he tackles. But hes very big (for a safety), very fast, and can lay you the fuck out.

WR Golden Tate - Very fast and dangerous after the catch, but may not be anything more than a glorified slot receiver at this point. Needs to get better seperation from more physical corners, and run better routes.

DE Carlos Dunlap - Overrated, lazy, and lacks production/heart, but the triangle numbers are too good for him to fall out of the 2nd round.

CB Brandon Ghee - Don't know much about him other than the fact that he's supposed to be pretty damn good, but I haven't watched him play. Has good size and speed for a CB, for what it's worth (6'0, 192 lbs. and 4.40 40 at the combine).

That's it off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few obvious names, but yeah. Colt McCoy may be reached for in the 2nd, but he really, really does not deserve to be.

EDIT - Here's a rd. 2/3 mock draft that should give you a good indication of who some of the top players left are.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

He's not an every down back, and I doubt he'll be able to run it up the gut or even off-tackle. He's not Chris Johnson, and the people comparing him to CJ are being unrealistic, delusional and are going to be disappointed with him. That's doesn't make him a bad player, just in the way Reggie Bush isn't a bad player, but you shouldn't expect him to be anything more than what he is - a great change-of-pace RB with versatility in how he can (and will be) used.

It would have been much easier if you'd had said "correct, I have no clue about CJ Spiller."

how exactly is he not like Johnson ? They're identical in size and Johnson is like a half step faster. Either way they both run sub 4.3 40's ... what isn't to compare ?

And having watched Spiller over his college career, yes ... he can run up the gut and off tackle. In fact, he ran off tackle very effectively.

• Like 3

That's where Buffalo has the advantage though. right now all of their best players are young ... and you're right, they are off the pace considerably. But look at this draft in terms of the Bills. Outside of being able to take either of the OTs there wasn't really a "clear fit/best fit" for Buffalo.

None of these QB's are really worth banking the franchise on (IMO). They weren't in position to pick up the OL they needed(sure a couple of others would have helped, but the needed the bookend T - and they've picked up a couple of early round OL guys last year) and the best defensive players on the board are in the one area of the field that they actually don't blow at (secondary). Moving up to grab either of the T's wasn't an option given the lack of depth and need for the other draft picks.

So, they went with the kid who is arguably the most dynamic/best player in the draft. This kid also happens to fit what the new GM wants to do. Run the ball. Lynch is not only a character issue, but an injury issue ... oh and he's already started grumbling about being traded. Jackson isn't a guy that can do it by himself.

Given the situation I really feel that Buffalo did the best that they could with that pick ... and managed to get the guy that very well could be the gem of the draft. I'll take that opportunity every time (especially with some of Buffalo's recent early round picks).

Just popping in to ask both Evil Chase K and Mysterio2000X to cool their jets on the snide comments at each other. No warnings yet because honestly, I think most EWB regulars (myself included) are guilty of occasionally lapsing into "we have differing opinions and so I think you're dumb," but enough is enough.

• Like 3

Don't tell people my secret, naiwf.

I'm higher on Tebow than most people. The only reason I think that was a bad pick was because of how much they gave up to get him. Then again, they probably didn't think he'd get past NE.

sayhder, really? Brady f'n Quinn is a better pro football player than Tebow ever will be? Everything wrong with Tebow is fixable, with time. Given three years, and he'll be a serviceable starting QB. Within five and he'll be one of the top 16 QBs in the league. I'm not saying that he'll be special, but the kid might be the best character guy EVER, he's going to work his ass off, and he's a leader. I hate his hype as much as anyone, but it's really hard to hate the man himself, and I an against his political/religious as much as anyone.

Denver has made a ton of stupid decisions since Shanahan left, and this isn't what I'd call 'smart', since they gave up so much, but the selection itself isn't horrible. If you wanted a QB, Tebow probably has more upside than anyone left, except LeFevour, who is a poor man's Tebow.

I never thought I'd say it, but I wouldn't mind Jimmy Clausen as a Raider at this point. He's worth a second rounder. Don't think he makes it past KC, though.

What are the BAPs? Anyone got a top 10?

My opinion exactly on Tebow. I think he will be a good fit in Denver especially with the wild horses formation. I think he will be better than Quinn will ever be and Orton isn't bad but he's just a game manager and I don't think that's what McDaniels wants.

• Like 1

But we're all agreed, Tebow that high for that much was a shocking pick, yes?

Anyway. I was disappointed to see Cincy take Gresham for the two most obvious reasons - I wanted him to fall and now he's going to be playing against us - but facilitating Denver's implosion and getting some extra picks for the privilege works for me. Picking #43, I wouldn't mind a pick of Benn, Tate, Dunlap or even Mays, if he's available. It wasn't so long ago people were discussing whether Mays being the #1 pick was plausible or not, after all.