The Worst Gigs I Ever Went To.

K

Stuck Mojo / Panic Cell / American Headcharge / Soil

Why are Stuck Mojo opening for these guys? That made no sense. Whose terrible booking decision was that? Stuck Mojo are more interesting than the two headliners put together. After a set lasting about four minutes, Stuck Mojo left the stage to the adulation of no-one but myself. That crowd didn't deserve Stuck Mojo. A few minutes later, Panic Cell came out and revealed that the lead singer had a sore throat and could only perform two songs. Not the bands fault of course, but incredibly disapointing, as Panic Cell on a good day may have been able to save the show. They're a lovely band, the members are quality blokes who are well into the London metal scene. Two songs later they depart and are replaced by American Headcharge. I've never understood this band, and never will. They're terrible. Who are the people that are buying their albums? Lead singer opened the set by throwing a lit cigarette into the crowd which burned my arm. Bastard. AHC played about four hundred songs that were all crap and then left. We waited for Soil, who had already had their fifteen minutes with HALO and hadn't done anything interesting since. Also the new singer is rubbish. They were predictably terrible and I went and got drunk at the bar instead and tried chatting up a woman in a latex police suit. I went home unfulfilled; both musically and sexually.

Kanye West (o2 Wireless Festival)

"WHO LIKES THE ALBUM 808 AND HEARTBREAKS?" Kanye asked the audience. Despite the deathly silence that followed, Kanye chose to perform the album almost in its entirety anyway. I woke up just in time for the encore of hits, which Kanye recited as if reading from a Jamie Oliver recipe book. Terrible.

Angels + Airwaves

That guy from Blink 182 is a dick. Telling us, unironically, that you're the greatest band in the world might have a little more weight if you weren't playing to a half empty London Astoria. Also thanks for telling stories about getting your dick sucked inbetween every song, I went to that gig with my little sister you muppet. Also you're a pretentious fuck.

There's prolly more.

What are yours?

Uuuh...i barly had any Concerts that were no fun at all. Most of the Bands i did not end up likeing i saw at Festivals, like notecing how boring Incubus have gotton over the years for example. Another Festival Show that sucked would be "And you will know us by the trail of dead..." - but not because they played like shit, it was just way way way way way way to loud.

The only "Headline Shows" i remember harshly being let down by would be Oasis and Maximo Park.

Oasis are just plain boring to watch, they have no fun at all, try to seem cool, get in arguments with their sound guys... just not fun to be in the crowd (seen them Live twice, both times... the Kings of Leon are high in the department of to coo to be Fun aswell, they also sprinted of stage after 70 Minutes at last years Hurricane Festival)

As with Maximo Park, the crowed sucked (just because you can do shirtles mass pogo during a balad dossent mean you have to) and the very early Blood Red Shoes as Opening Band kicked way to much as... Maximo Parks music just wassent able to follow their energie. (but of cause, since the "we mosh to everything" crowed was only into stars they were standing still and looked confused during the BRS Gig)

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Muse earlier this year was great for it being Muse but sucked because for some reason the huge hall had a number of pens into which 100 people were rammed, with two metres in all directions between pens. Must've been to give the impression of feeling fuller than it was and for safety.

I say screw safety and screw feeling full. I could have been twice as close AND had the chance to punch more people in the ribs.

Mark B and Blade, supporting Feeder YEARS ago (like 2001/2 maybe) were awful, partly cos they were hip hop or something so it flew in the face of Feeder fans there.

I've not been to too many dreadful ones.

As much as I want to say Bob Dylan I can't, because he had an amazing setlist and just being there was enough to make up for everything else.

Em Little Boots live was incredibly shit. It's not helped any by the fact that I don't think her music is that great but the woman has one of the weakest singing voices I've ever heard.

Most of these would be bands that play at my union cause I usually go along to them no matter what because of free tickets. Quite a lot of them were awful though. Such as Seether, Madina Lake, Hollywood Undead.

Actually the worst gig I've ever been to is twin atlantic. No doubt about it.

RHCPs headline set at Leeds festival 2007. How about playing none of your hits, wanking around with your instruments for about half the set, Anthony Keidis being awful and not on stage much, and just generally being awful and looking like you are just there for the giant pay day that you are bound to be recieving, almost ruined the whole festival for me leaving such a bad taste in my mouth. Fucking bunch of arrogant cunts.

• Like 1

I've seen Reel Big Fish about 3 times because every time it's been just an outright fun gig. The third time I went, however, it was filled with scene kids who did nothing but mosh to every single song. Completely ruined it for me, I don't have a problem with people moshing, obviously it's a good laugh, but when it doesn't make sense for the band/song and they're a bunch of cunts who refuse to let it die, even when it ends up with just the same 5 people doing it, it's just fucking annoying. And this wasn't a huge arena, so we were all really packaged in and there wasn't a lot of space for it.

I had worries that this would result in a bad time when I saw Paramore also, but thankfully the arena was huge. (Yes, I like Paramore. I was a great big scene kid. >_>)

"Sly & The Family Stone". Sly was on stage for all of two songs, the rest of it was just watching decidedly unfunky session musicians.

Honourable mentions go to The Horrors (twice) and The Bravery.

I'd have to say Hard-Fi, partially because I don't even really like Hard-Fi (I went because it was like, £10 for the tickets and my friends were going), and the fact that they played it at Manchester Central didn't help, because it's an awful place to hold a concert, it's faaaar too big in reality. Oh, and the support acts were shit, bar the Rumble Strips, who were good for the sole reason that their drummer was mental.

The worst I've ever seen was when Emmure came and played a local hardcore show. It's the only band I've ever walked out on. They were so goddamn bad and have gotten worse since then.

This. They were fucking terrible when they played Windsor last year.. then again the metal/hardcore scene in Windsor is fucking terrible and full of idiots that think playing a guitar out of tune sounds remotely good. Other than that I haven't been to an outright terrible show in a couple years, since that dreadful Battle of the Bands in 06.. awful, just awful.

As for Reel Big Fish, I would give my left nut to see them live.

RHCPs headline set at Leeds festival 2007. How about playing none of your hits, wanking around with your instruments for about half the set, Anthony Keidis being awful and not on stage much, and just generally being awful and looking like you are just there for the giant pay day that you are bound to be recieving, almost ruined the whole festival for me leaving such a bad taste in my mouth. Fucking bunch of arrogant cunts.

Oh man I totally forgot, when I saw RHCP a while ago they had The Mars Volta open for them. Absolutely terrible. They got booed off the stage practically. Then someone set a chair in the arena on fire.

Also, when I saw Tool the opening band also got booed off the stage to the point where the singer refused to leave. And if I'm correct that band (Tomahawk) is fronted by Mike Patton. He came out in a George Bush mask and went on some tirade about car washes or something.

Linkin Park are awful live. I saw them after they released Minutes to Midnight, so they were many U2-lite songs on the setlist. Worse was they recommended we should 'rock the fuck out', before playing Leave Out All The Rest, Numb, Little Things Give You Away, Shadow of the Day and Breaking the Habit back to back. The crowd were I was became restless - considering Little Things... by itself is the world's most boring seven minute U2 wannabe song, honestly go listen to it and try not to fall asleep - and started mock moshing. LP were outdone by their support act, and I've loved Biffy Clyro since.

I've disliked The Raconteurs since I saw them at Leeds 08, where they ignored their rock songs for their twee-traditional Americana yahoo rubbish. QOTSA were also naff at the same festival.

I saw Interpol at Sheffield Academy in July 08. They didn't warn us they were playing their final song, left the stage without saying anything, lights came on. Thanks for that.

Alter Bridge at Manchester Academy (which Katsuya went to I believe) had a piss-poor crowd full of middle-aged men trying to relive their youth, with their hands in their pockets. Thankfully the crowd was much better when they played Sheffield later in the year.

I've seen plenty of shit opening acts in my time too... Like Fightstar. Fuck Fightstar.

The Answering Machine, nothing to do with them. But it was just the opening local band who was 3 of them, then there was the supporting band that TAM had brought with them and a couple of mates and then The Answering Machine themselves.

Then me and my mate.

It was awesome. Which culminated with me, my mate and two members of the opening band (the bass player was boring, shocker) at the stage for the final song dancing like pricks. I also commented on the bass players pretty eyes, hugged her after the show and dived in their van demanding they took my to the Crewe gig with them.

So yeah, it was hilariously good fun and they didn't seem to give a shit they were playing to a couple of lads - it's just the people in Carlisle are utterly shit.

Edited by IAceI

I've not been to too many name bands gigs, so I've lots of stories about shitty local bands that don't know how to change tempo in a song, fall off stage, snap the neck off the guitar whilst trying to do something with an effects pedal and feedback or even tripping over a cable and falling over into a stack of speakers.

But yeah, I'm going to go with Bloc Party at Leeds 09. It's not that they were really shit, it's just that they seemed really bored with things and Kele was being a massive bitch. It was the first and last time I'd get to see them before the hiatus and they really disappointed me because going into the festival they were one of the reasons I bought a ticket.

I went to see Lost Prophets yesterday......I honestly cannot remember shit. I don't even know if I actually made it to the gig...I presume I did...but yeah...I remember...shit.

Bloc Party at Leeds '09 was gash, I was fucked then as well, stole a hat though, can vaguely remember them but I know that in comparison to '08 they were terrible.

The worst live band I've ever seen was actually just in December. The opening band for Propagandhi/Protest The Hero/Strike Anywhere...some utterly terrible piece of shit called The Final Crisis. - http://www.myspace.com/thefinalcrisis - Zero redeeming features at all. Also a massive gig disappointment was finding out Rio's is called Rio's and not Rios as in Essa Rios.

Oh fuck, yeah, The Mars Volta...pile of wank, and I love them. The way their sets are constructed if you don't like the songs they do, you're completely fucked, cos they're not your typical band who will go back and churn out an old school hit just for the sake of it and make you more comfortable...thanks to setlist.fm here was the setlist for the show I went to;

Viscera Eyes

Wax Simulacra

Goliath

Ouroborous

Tetragrammaton

Aberinkula

Drunkship Of Lanterns

...the fact off the top of my head I only know how one of those songs goes (okay, I remember the intro to "Viscera Eyes" too) pretty much sums shit up. Sound was a bit wank, and just, all in all, a disappointing show.

Edited by YI