L.A. Noire

Gene Kiniski

Pretty sure there isn't a thread for this already so:

Rockstar Games is pleased to announce a partnership with Team Bondi Pty Ltd to publish the ground-breaking next generation crime thriller L.A. Noire. Developed by Team Bondi, a new Australian based studio founded by Brendan McNamara, of The Getaway, L.A Noire is an interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940's.

L.A. Noire blends action, detection and complex storytelling and draws players into an open-ended challenge to solve a series of gruesome murders. Set in a perfectly recreated Los Angeles before freeways, with a post-war backdrop of corruption, drugs and jazz, L.A. Noire will truly blend cinema and gaming.

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/

I'm pretty stoked. I love Rockstar and this game has been mumbled about for quite some time. With details finally coming out and a September release date finally announced let the excitement begin.

(let us all ignore the 'too' typo in the title)

Edited by Gene Kiniski

What blows my mind about this game is the fact that they've made motion-capture obsolete. They film the actors, and it translates to the game, :o

If they can pull it off, LA Noire will revolutionize the entire industry.

Basically they did for games what Cameron did with Avatar. They filmed the actors for everything and digitized it for the game...including the speech. It sounds pretty complicated but they say it's made everything..motion, speech etc much more realistic

To further what Lint was talking about, actors in the game aren't wearing mocap suits, they're filmed in costume, just like in a movie. Instead of the game being animated... it's almost like it's filmed. As the head developer has said, they've eliminated the notion of the "uncanny valley."

Yeah, it was definitely a PS3 exclusive at one point, I remember it being part of my motivation for buying one. This game can only be brilliant really, if Rockstar put time to a gmae, magic usually happens.

• 8 months later...

Looks awesome, but I'm still wondering what the actual gameplay will be like. It seems like they might be going for a sort of Heavy Rain type deal, investigating being the major emphasis, but with all the action there I'm worried it'll just turn out to be a GTA type sandbox again. Anyone else see a touch of Robert Duvall in what I'm assuming is the main character?

I could've sworn I read it got delayed to Holiday 2011.

But yeah, it looks fantastic (Ken Cosgrove!) But even if the game is a total disappointment, it's going to revolutionize game development. Finally a game where characters don't look like talking blow-up dolls.

I was really stoked for this when Edge did a big preview article on it months ago, but then didn't hear anything about it. I love a bit of period noir and (good)sandbox gaming, coupled with the fact the episodic structure is based on real-life cases and is meant to be quite open-ended as to how you tackle the crimes (or at least in the order in which you do any required pieces of investigation) so it was going to be a must-buy for me unless it got slated on it's release. Hopefully it isn't pushed back again and again.

Oh, and graphically that looks amazing.