UFC News and Discussion Thread

When the adrenaline is pumping and a fighter gets a chance to finish, killer instinct kicks in and they just keep throwing until they regain their composure enough to pull themselves away. Or in some case, allow themselves to be pulled away by the ref. You can usually spot the difference between something like that and a guy taking his liberties after a fight is finished.

Normally I accept it when it happens. But it's when Tavares hands were right down by his side and his head cocked up on his shoulder.

Like I heard Riddle got a lot of shit for the TUF fighter with Simmler in the prelims, if you saw it. To me, that didn't seem as bad, and Riddle went and broke his jaw in two places after dropping him. But the way Wiman had to sort of hit him, then lean over and go again seemed like he could have stopped.

The Greats piledriver is immense.

I wonder if Dan will get shit on for his stoppage of Vera/Werdum. I haven't gotten the chance to read any reviews of it yet but Dan's stoppage was a valid stoppage and it sucks that it let Kimbo/Thompson go for like 1.5 - 2 minutes of elbows and not let Vera ride out the punishment, but it was still a valid stoppage. Werdum is probably the next in line for a title shot now.

That piledriver by Nate was crazy. But totally illegal. He gets docked a point for a non-illegal elbow but not that? Very odd call. I guess you could argue that that sweat caused him to slip and was trying for a powerbomb (I assume these are legal since Hughes pretty much powerbombed Newton years ago).

Sucks that Davis lost but Swick looked much better here than he did against Burkman six months ago. He is getting back to the Swick of old which a good thing.

Bisping looked his best tonight. Total domination of Day.

And if Alves does not get his title shot that would be sad. He might have not made weight, but the guy deserves it after stopping two of the best in Karo Parisyan and Matt Hughes in back-to-back fights.

Also, Wiman vs. Tavares was the fight of the night, in my opinion. Very good technical first round and a very good brawl for a second round.

It looked like Nate was trying to get him up for a powerbomb, because it seems like he sort of falls forward so whether he just couldn't pull him all the way up I'm not sure. Pretty certain he didn't mean it like that though.

• 5 months later...

Pulling for Brock all the way here in this one, although not being much of a MMA fan, I'm not really interested in a lot of the card. That being said, I do like reading the previews over on Sherdog:

Chris Lytle: I see no way Randy can win. He’s too old, too small and [had] too long of a layoff. Lesnar is too massive, athletic and younger. That being said, I think Randy wins.

Mac Danzig: I think Randy wins this fight with experience and overall ability. It seems like Lesnar’s best chance of winning is if he can hold someone [down] for three rounds like he did to [Heath] Herring. I don’t think he can do that to Randy. Plus, he has a giant penis tattooed on his chest, which can’t be helpful.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Good idea Toffee. As I said in the MMA thread, I expect Brock to be able to bully Randy around - but then he makes the slightest mistake and Randy capitalizes, 4th round TKO.

And a pre-emptive reminder that we don't allow giving out of directions for acquiring anything illegal. :)

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

Yeah I can't take Brock seriously. Randy wins 2nd round or so.

It's not that I can't take him seriously, I can take him seriously as a legit competitor, but I'm just not a fan of him. I like him, but I'm not a fan - make sense? I think it's his attitude that turns me off to him. I am also one of the guys that feels like he was rushed in.

It's not that I can't take him seriously, I can take him seriously as a legit competitor, but I'm just not a fan of him. I like him, but I'm not a fan - make sense? I think it's his attitude that turns me off to him. I am also one of the guys that feels like he was rushed in.