UFC News and Discussion Thread

I'd love to see you say that to his face. shifty.gif

This show's gonna be great, can't wait for Kos/Daley and Shogun/Machida. Even though I'd really prefer Shogun to win I think we won't see a fight like their previous one, I think Machida has found a way to take care of Shogun. As for Daley/Kos, I dislike both but would rather see Kos pick-up the win than Daley trash-talking GSP; Daley can't beat Josh's dirty tactics (fake eye pokes/kicks while beign down).

I've put a bit of money on a Daley, Stout and Machida treble tonight. What are my chances, people who actually know quite a bit about the sport?

EDIT: Note, I know Machida was VERY lucky to walk away with the title the last time he fought Shogun. Even I thought Shogun had won that.

Edited by Baddar
  • Like 1

Honestly they're all pick 'ems to me. Machida/Shogun will depend on whether each fighter has been able to adjust their style and have a suffucuently good camp to make sure they have something different to offer. Machida has a very awkward karate style, but Shogun proved his devastating leg kicks can be a difference maker, I think it will come down to who ever can offer something different. Kos/Daley winner will be down to one thing in my opinion, Koscheck's wrestling. If Daley can avoid takedowns then he will beat Kos standing, while Kos' stand up has improved immensley over the past 5 years, he is still one of the best pure wrestlers in the game and can dominate a fight that way, but he does get pig headed and likes to stand and bang... Stout/Stephens is hard to pick as well, both fighters are equally matched... I feel that Stout is a slight favourite, and is probably reflected as such in the odds that i am seeing :/

I honestly hope Mitrione surprises everyone again and knocks out Kimbo. I honestly hope Daley beats Koscheck. I really hate that guy. And I've got upload credit on Machida so definitely hope he can do better this time against Shogun.

I've said it before and I will say it again: if Matt beats Slice then he will instantly have that aura about him that will make the UFC hype machine able to market him to the moon and then he will be fed to someone that is on the cusp of breaking into contention (Dos Santos, Kongo to get back on track once he's healed).

I've said it before and I will say it again: if Matt beats Slice then he will instantly have that aura about him that will make the UFC hype machine able to market him to the moon and then he will be fed to someone that is on the cusp of breaking into contention (Dos Santos, Kongo to get back on track once he's healed).

I say bring back Eddie Sanchez and push him to the moon! :shifty:

I honestly hope that the Kimbo/Mitrione fight is a slug fest with a brutal knock out, otherwise it could end up being tedious like Kimbo's fight with Houston.

that fight was so strange to watch the Kimbo/Houston. I didn't expect a circle off but Kimbo's suplex did make me laugh :P I think i'll jump up and start shouting at about 3AM if i see Kimbo suplex him or go for a flying armbar :D

so am I the only one hoping that Kimbo pounds the shit out of Mitrione? I really like Kimbo for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it.

I'm thinking it's the beard and the gold teeth.

He's a really nice guy from the sounds of it as well. I was impressed with how he came off on the Ultimate Fighter and just his attitude impresses me. He could have taken the easy way out and just been given loads of money and fight freakshow fights but went on TUF, started training with ATT and seems like he really wants to become a proper MMA fighter

so am I the only one hoping that Kimbo pounds the shit out of Mitrione? I really like Kimbo for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it.

I'm thinking it's the beard and the gold teeth.

Nope, you're not the only one. Nothing against Mitrione but I hope Kimbo Knocks him the Fuck Out.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Anyone who doesn't want Paul Daley to win is sexually confused. >_>

How obscure of you.

ESPN's Streak For The Cash has added a few of tonight's fights to their lineup. Currently, 83.5% think Kimbo will beat Mitrione, 78.9% have Cote over Belcher, and 92.7% say Machida will triumph over Rua. These numbers will change a lot though due to the nature of the game--you can only mark down one event at a time, so most people have their mark on something that will be over by the time UFC starts.

My own hopes for tonight? I'd be leery of putting money on any of these because I could see them all going either way, but Cote over Belcher because he probably has a better shot than any other Canadian at putting up a victory tonight, Mitrione over Kimbo although I disagree with Gene saying Mitrione will get Kimbo-level hype if he wins...Seth Petruzelli went right back to being a nobody, and Mitrione isn't exactly marketable either in my opinion. Kimbo fans are Kimbo fans, not "Kimbo or anybody better than him" fans. Also thinking Koscheck will smother his way to victory and Machida will have a good counter-plan to beat Rua.

Davidmarrio, that "Kimbo Slice!!" status update? What the fuck man, no need to go an spoil the fight. Did you not pay attention when spoilers were said to be kept within the UFC/MMA discussion threads and only there for 48 hours and then it is fair game?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'd like to say this will hopefully bring an end to the 'Kimbo' division within heavyweight (much as there's now a 'Randy' division at 205), but I'm just too cynical to believe that. Mitrione needs a win or two now, so they'll have to bring back Pedro Rizzo or something.