UFC News and Discussion Thread

In a good news/bad news situation...

Big Nog is injured (:() but gets replaced for his UFC 119 mainevent against Frank Mir with Mirko Cro Cop. While I am going to miss it in all likelihood this is a much more interesting fight to me, and will allow us to see if Cro Cop really is worthy of hanging with the high up heavyweights following his lacklustre previos outings aginst the like of JDS, Kongo and Gonzaga, and whether his recent wins have been purely down to opponents of a low calibre.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

In a really good news story, MMA is being legalized and regulated in Ontario. That first show at the Rogers Centre is going to have a great atmosphere.

There are reports that UFC has put a hold on the stadium for March 26, and other reports (seemingly only from mainstream media, not MMA media) that GSP/Koscheck might be held back a few months for that show.

It's probably not the right business move to do that because the first show will sell out regardless of GSP involvement, but it'd be one heck of an atmosphere if they did do that.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yeah but surely the 500 deck will be cheap.

I mean, you won't be able to see a single thing and might as well be at home/in a bar, but they can't charge too much up there.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Couple questions from somebody looking to catch their first live UFC show in over fifteen years...

1) What time does the show start?

2) Who should I be betting on?

Show starts at 10, but a couple fights will be shown on Spike starting at 9.

Bet on Couture absolutely, Penn's probably the next most likely to win even though he lost the first time around, beyond that Joe Lauzon's maybe the only other name where I'd be significantly surprised if he lost.

Yeah, the easy bets tonight are Penn, Couture, Lauzon, Maia, Miller, and I'm hoping I'm not underestimating Maynard when I throw him in that list.

EDIT: I mean, Florian in that list. I'm assuming Maynard won't be able to handle Ken-Flo's striking. Kenny to win.

If you're looking for value, bet on Davis.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

At this moment, ESPN Streak for the Cash participants have the following opinions:

93.4% expect Florian to beat Maynard

70.5% do not expect a first-round Randy win

98.2% do not expect Penn/Edgar to go the distance.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The best part is that it was one of the least clean takedowns you'll ever see, anyone with an ounce of takedown defense would have been able to avoid it.