UFC News and Discussion Thread

How do you give Machida a title shot for beating Couture after two straight losses?

That'll be a real tough spot for the UFC to be in.

I'd prefer we saw Rampage vs. Forrest II. I like Forrest, but chances are Rampage wins that and if not it would be 3 wins in a row for Forrest who could get the title shot.

There's not a lot of justification you can give to it, but can you find another contender at LHW if that scenario happens? Forrest would be real nice in there, but his injury again makes it hard for him to get any sort of momentum.

Guest mr. potato head

Ebersole being best known, of course, for inexplicably beating Babalu and becoming EliteXC Light Heavyweight Champion in my first WMMA game ever. :shifty:

Also, MMAJunkie calls him a "longtime veteran", so there's that.

And in other news...

After the first 30 minutes this morning, 33,000 tickets had been sold to UFC Fight Club members for the 4/30 show in Toronto.

I think they're gonna be opening up the whole thing for GSP/Silva after this.

Guest mr. potato head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufCwtz-vjIg

Somebody fix that link to embed. Yesterday it embeds itself, today it doesn't.

This looks amazing...

Apparently UFC 129 has now sold 42,000 tickets, with tomorrow possibly being 50,000.... Jesus.

50,000 Saturday once the general public has a chance, but minor difference really. Nice to see Dana's statements about Toronto being the mecca of MMA aren't unfounded.

Dana did say he's looking at Cowboy stadium for GSP/Silva

EDIT: I came into MMA way too late to really know about Evan Tanner but just seeing that short trailer brought a tear to my eye. :/

That's a shame really. If you get a chance go back and watch some his fights. People give him a lot of flack as a fighter because when he passed away he was 1-4 in his last fight, but he was amazing at what he did. His losses were to the likes of Ortiz, Herring (whom he was 1-1 with), Franklin (twice) and Okami. He was a very influential fighter as well; a lot of what you see in Clay Guida is a direct mirror of Evan Tanner. He's honestly one of the reason I train.

-If GSP loses to Jake Sheilds then Okami will face Silva. If GSP wins then GSP/Silva is slated next.

-Main event title fights will probably start being five rounds.

Just the main two points of these videos:

http://www.lowkick.com/UFC/Dana-White-talks-GSP-vs-Silva-signing-Overeem-5-Round-Non-Title-fights-and-much-more-11811

Apparently now we will not be seeing Rashad vs Rampage II, instead Matt Hamill will be pulled from his bout at 129 with Phil Davis and face Rampage instead...

I have seen it on both MMAJunkie and Bloody Elbow, it appears UFC are taking no chance that Thiago Silva's other drug test result from UFC 125 could be positive when the result is returned, which could still be a few weeks away according to NSAC commissioner Keith Kizer.

Guest mr. potato pimp

MMAJunkie reporting that Brian Stann will now fight Jorge Santiago, not Wanderlei.

I don't really like this booking. If Stann wins, he beats a guy most people have never heard of - and I don't think he'll win. Stann's marketable and on the cusp of being a contender, Wanderlei was the perfect fight for him, Santiago's light the exact opposite.

MMAJunkie reporting that Brian Stann will now fight Jorge Santiago, not Wanderlei.

I don't really like this booking. If Stann wins, he beats a guy most people have never heard of - and I don't think he'll win. Stann's marketable and on the cusp of being a contender, Wanderlei was the perfect fight for him, Santiago's light the exact opposite.

You realize this is a sport right? I get that there is a business angle to it, but the sport is what you should be worried about, not the marketability of a fighter.

To say most people won't know who Jorge Santiago is, is all fine and good, but if you're worried that he's going to beat Stann, then that sounds like Stann's personal issue doesn't it? The fact is in the numbers:

Since we last saw Jorge Santiago in UFC he is 11-1, and in that same time frame Silva is 2-4. Silva's biggest win? Keith Jardine (nearly 3 years ago.) Michael Bisping isn't a win to write home about.

Even then, Stann's only real profile win has been against Chris Leben, who is, by all means, still a suspect fighter and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.