UFC News and Discussion Thread

Yeah I am sure once the Strikeforce deal with Showtime runs its course, they will be merged into the UFC.

With Dana White having talked about a potential UFC network down the line, they now have how many promotions to show? They have UFC, WEC, Pride, WFA, Strikeforce, and I'd assume EliteXC since I believe Strikeforce acquired them. And I think Affliction too. Am I missing anything else?

Guest mr. potato head

Didn't they get the IFL library too?

I'm not sure that's a direct or even indirect reason for the purchase as much of a fringe benefit though. Is there a huge audience that will watch old Strikeforce and EliteXC shows that wouldn't be just as happy with UFC or PRIDE in those timeslots?

I had no idea this was happening. Woke up this morning, checked the news and there it is.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm just really happy that they'll be letting Scott Coker continue to run the promotion. Seems like the only difference right now is that it will be under the Zuffa banner. I'm sure we'll see some changes in the next while. Commentators might change, the production might be better and so on.

Wow

Guest mr. potato head

Miletich is awesome. Shamrock's not bad but needs to learn to score fights, and I like Mauro but I understand he's not for everybody. Gus Johnson can go back to full-time CBS though.

Commentators changing would be a great thing.

Unlikely, the commentators are under contract from CBS/Showtime, thats why the booth changes depending on the stature of events. I.e Small events = Quadros/Militech/Ranallo Medium events = Militech/Ranallo/Shamrock Big events= Ranallo/Shamrock/Johnson.

Less Gus Johnson is always a good thing.

I know, but in Meltzer's update he does say that it is a possibility that they could get things changed as "when you are an owner you have a lot of influence, there will be changes, there will be a lot of changes," so there is still some hope to it.

Guest mr. potato head

I know, but in Meltzer's update he does say that it is a possibility that they could get things changed as "when you are an owner you have a lot of influence, there will be changes, there will be a lot of changes," so there is still some hope to it.

Well yeah, just like WEC made small changes over time with Zuffa in charge, I'm sure the same will be true for Strikeforce. Everybody's jobs might be safe for now, but I'm sure there'll be some changes over even the next few months.

"And since we don't have to hide it anymore - Diaz vs. Daley tickets for April 9th are on sale today!"

That tweet from the UFC's official Twitter account was the first of what is sure to be many surreal instances of the UFC promoting a Strikeforce event now that they've purchased the competing organization. But one of the competitors in that particular April 9 fight isn't very happy with today's news.

Paul Daley was released from the UFC in 2010 after sucker-punching Josh Koscheck following his loss at UFC 113, with UFC President Dana White saying Daley would never again fight in the UFC. He reiterated that stance when talking to Ariel Helwani at MMAFighting.com about Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce, but stated Daley's deal with Strikeforce would be honored.

However, now Daley has come out and said he's not sure if he'll be taking the fight on April 9 with Nick Diaz now that this news has come out. Here's Daley on his Facebook page:

"Business as usual, what if i dont wanna fight for DANA WHITE/ZUFFA?......Dana white bans me for life from the UFC, Then buys STRIKEFORCE, and thinks im still gonna be EASY and fight on one of the most anticipated fights of the year (vs Diaz)? Which will no doubt make ZUFFA/Dana White money.

Daley vs Diaz still on?.....Someone better holla at my manager real quick."

He followed that up with a couple of posts on The Underground forum, stating he's not sure what he's going to do.

"Not sure what im gonna do right now, honestly... fight for the Strikeforce and be Strikeforce champ, put money in ZUFFA/Dana Whites pockets? Or fight here in the UK for BAMMA, who appreciate my brand, and have my loyal fans, family and media support me. For real."

"I have a great deal at BAMMA(.com) and make just as much money, believe or not...as i do in the USA. They appreciate my services, and what i bring to the company. There is till alot of competition out there, NOT all the best fighters are with the UFC/STRIKEFORCE, just they get the most recognition."

There could be some immediate consequences to this announcement from the UFC, and we'll see over the next several days whether Daley pulls himself out of this fight.

Source: MMA Torch.

I do not want Daley backing out of the fight, mainly because I would love for him to knock Diaz the fuck out.

Edited by IzzyX

Does Hendo really have issues with Dana? I thought it was just that Strikeforce made him a better offer.

Isn't the issue between the two is that Henderson was promised a title shot but didn't get it and since his contract was up he decided to negotiate with Strikeforce?

Also, Daley is being stupid.

I hope Daley drops out of the fight. fuck Dana White :shifty: Someone needs to fight the power, might as well be a black British man.

dude is seriously the Vince McMahon of MMA. Who is the competition now? fucking Bellator? ugh.

EDIT: Dana might as well go ahead and buy DREAM and Sengoku as well, since they're on their last legs as it is. Atleast we'll get a groovy UFC channel sometime down the line with all of these different promotions and shit. That's the only positive I can think of. I mean, what superfights really exist that people want to see that hasn't been done before? Not involving Fedor.

• Like 1

Do you need comeptition? I would rather ave all of the best fighters in the world be in the top promotion so we can set up fights and get an idea of who the consenus best fighters in the world are. The problem with Boxing is there are too many promoters, whats wrong with having one promotion I ask you as a fan (other than the obvious fighter pay issue)?

If there is the market for it then there will be a new competitor emerge, we saw it in EliteXC and Strikeforce, it just needs a solid financial backer for start up. I am just excited that in the next year or two we could be seeing the likes of Melendez/Big Foot/Werdum/etc... being able to fight on the biggest stage. Oh and RYAN COUTURE!

• Like 1