UFC News and Discussion Thread

It was hard to know how to feel about Miocic winning because he and Werdum both seem like really nice guys and you didn’t want either one to lose. But one of them had to, and whilst Miocic had a chance at winning, the way he won was completely out of the blue. Who would have expected Werdum to go charging in to Miocic with his hands down and his chin high? Unfortunate for Werdum to lose in his home country in front of so many fans, but that’s what can happen when you turn your brain of, and well done to Miocic for landing the right shot.

What was expected was Souza steamrolling over Belfort. Belfort has almost nothing to offer but his right hand, and even then, Belfort lacks the stamina to be threatening for more than a few minutes, if that. Credit to Belfort for sticking around after they checked on his cut, as I was half-expecting him to play the ‘i can’t see’ card and try and get out of a fight he didn’t have much chance to win to begin with. Souza wants the shot at the Rockhold/Weidman winner, and he probably deserves it ahead of Bisping, but I’d like to see Bisping get the shot because he’s coming off the highest profile win of his career and it’s the best chance the UFC have of being able to run that long talked about but never realized UK stadium event. It’d also be nice to see Bisping get the title shot he’s been after for so long but has always seen slip through is fingers at the final hurdle.

Chris Weidman is out of UFC 199 due to injury. Most of the major names at middleweight are now vying for the spot against Luke Rockhold, including Bisping, Romero and Brunson. Romero has no chance because he's suspended until July.

Edited by Vince Russo

Bisping is the best option in this scenario. He's the biggest name available who is coming off a win, but he's probably not going to beat Rockhold so you can safely give him the title shot and not worry about having to delay Souza's title shot. Bisping is a suitable replacement in that he's coming off a win over a legend, albeit a legend not quite at this prime anymore. He's a big enough name that his replacing Weidman won't feel like much of a step down, if it feels like one at all. And because he's always slipped up in that one last fight that he needed to win to get a title shot, it'll be something of a feel good story that he's finally getting the title shot he's wanted but always just fallen short of earning, which in turn will make him a sentimental favourite, and that'll make it just as a good a story to build up as Weidman getting his rematch.

It's not dead, it justs seems uncompetitive because they have a dominant chamipion. It's like how Welterweight was relatively boring when GSP was on top, then he retired and now you've got at least 7 or 8 guys who could all beat each other and hold the belt and it's the shit.

True, but at least with the GSP era you had people like Serra, Hughes and Penn who were recognised stars challenging him, and people like Diaz, Hardy and Hendricks who actually made the effort to promote the fights and garner interest in themselves as challengers even if the likelihood of them winning was miniscule. The Flyweight division just seems to be full of a bunch of guys who don't get any promotion, partly due to the UFC not promoting them but I also don't see any of Johnson's challengers doing anything on their own, and a dominant champion who seemingly thinks that just being a great athlete is going to make him popular.

As for Bisping I'm really pleased he's getting the shot, it kind of makes up for back in 2012 when he lost that decision to Chael in a fight he probably won which robbed him of the title shot.

14 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

True, but at least with the GSP era you had people like Serra, Hughes and Penn who were recognised stars challenging him, and people like Diaz, Hardy and Hendricks who actually made the effort to promote the fights and garner interest in themselves as challengers even if the likelihood of them winning was miniscule. The Flyweight division just seems to be full of a bunch of guys who don't get any promotion, partly due to the UFC not promoting them but I also don't see any of Johnson's challengers doing anything on their own, and a dominant champion who seemingly thinks that just being a great athlete is going to make him popular.

As for Bisping I'm really pleased he's getting the shot, it kind of makes up for back in 2012 when he lost that decision to Chael in a fight he probably won which robbed him of the title shot.

I'm a Bisping fan but I don't think Bisping won that fight, can't recall anybody doing it.

20 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Hughes, Serra and Penn were around before GSP though, and had names before he came along, nobody was a name before DJ as he has been there since the inception of the weight class.  As for fighters promoting themselves, I think we will see it happening a bit more frequently in the coming years again following on form the success of Conor McGregor, just my feeling anyway.

I feel for the UFC a little as they want to promote 99.9% of the fights in a way which is "oh this is all about the UFC" because that's how they feel they will grow all of the brand.  However without the individuals being interesting then it's hard to really promote them.  Take for example Cain Velasquez.  Great fighter, dull as dishwater.  Take then for example somebody like Charles Bennett (old-school I know) he was interesting as hell, but was not up to standard in a fight.  It's hard for the UFC to promote people of interest if the best fighters aren't interesting, I can think of plenty of other examples like that.  Then you have the people who can both bring it and are interesting and that's where the fighter slightly transcends the UFC, so you then have the risk of the UFC being held to ransom by these individuals as that's where they make the big revenue, the likes of Rousey, Mcgregor and the Diazes.

Cain could have still maintained some form of a fanbase if he didn't get injured every Wednesday, as he was the UFC's pawn to break into the Mexican market. 

On 5/19/2016 at 18:47, Chris2K said:

DJ's a smart guy, you can definitely tell from his interviews that he knows that he doesn't have the big personality that a Rousey or a McGregor has. He doesn't really care about being popular and making the kind of money those guys make, he just wants to be the best athlete he can be. He's comfortable with the money he makes, there's nothing wrong with that. Also, it's not easy to have that kind of big personality, and as we can see, it's hard to stay popular for long with that kind of pressure on you from fans and the UFC to take all that promotion and have it squarely on your back. Whereas a guy like GSP or Anderson had a long period of success because while they were in demand, they weren't depended on to carry the weight of the promotion for their fights. I definitely do think there's a connection between how much media you have to make and how much success in the Octagon you have. 

BJ Penn is out of UFC 199 due to a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation. It's not necessarily for actual usage of PED's, rather a violation of the rules as it relates to the use of IV's, however, part of the reason IV use was curtailed is because it can be used to mask the use of PED's or blood doping. Penn has claimed ignorance over the changes in IV rules, despite making commenting on the change of IV rules when they were implemented last year.

Paige finished second in Dancing with the Starts, losing out to someone who was on America's Next Top Model I've never heard of. Apparently he's deaf, so hot guy with disability on a show where mainly women are voting? Yeah he had it in the bag.

She's been brought on to the cast of a remake of Kickboxer next so she won't be returning to the UFC for a while. I think she might end up Carano-ing the situation and won't ever come back.

Wonder where Renan Barao goes from here. Mad how quickly his stock has dropped, and no disrespect to Jeremy Stephens, but you'd have probably laughed a couple of years ago if someone told you that Barao would drop a decision to him. 

Looking at who Cody Garbrandt has beaten before, I'm still not buying the hype. Thomas Almeida looked fragile at times against Brad Pickett, who himself isn't doing so great anymore, so I'm not surprised that a power puncher got him. Interesting to see what happens next in the division though, throw in Bryan Caraway and there's options in there.

I think Barao’s problem was that he was giving up too much size to Stephens, as Stephens looked way bigger than he did. Barao is a natural featherweight who fought at bantamweight until he couldn’t cut the weight anymore. Stevens, on the other hand, is a lightweight who is cutting weight to make featherweight, and not always successfully, so he’s probably 155lbs at least when he actually gets into the cage, maybe even more, especially on this occasion. I still say Barao is better than Stephens but it was the size and power difference that dictated that fight rather than pure skill, and Barao was someone who got rocked at bantamweight, so a bulked up featherweight is really going to hammer him, and I was actually impressed Barao managed to stay conscious, especially near the end when Stephens was really laying into him.

Barao’s at a crossroads right now because he’s too big to cut to bantamweight and he’s too small for featherweight, and until the weight cutting restrictions come into effect across the board, he’s going to have to risk his body, either with a killer weight cut, or by fighting people way too big for him.