UFC News and Discussion Thread

On 6/23/2016 at 04:49, Vince Russo said:

CM Punk confirmed it, that he'll be fighting Mickey Gall at UFC 203. You can't ever say someone has a zero percent chance of winning because anything can happen in a fight, but Punk's chances are right around that mark. Whatever happens, though, I expect it'll be his first and last fight, given how long it took for him to be considered ready for this right and his general physical condition.

That sucks! I'm already watching 200 and was happy Punk was on 202 because I want to see Conor/Diaz and now I might have to get a third show? 

I expect Miocic/Overeem to be less of a scrap than expected, because Overeem's game these days is to let people come to him and counterstrike, and Miocic should, in theory, based on how he won the heavyweight title in the first place, be wise enough not to play into that. It's a fight that could go either way but I'm leaning towards Miocic winning.

The more I watch of TUF 23, the more I think Claudia Gadelha is beating Joanna Jędrzejczyk. Claudia hasn't even had to do anything and she's won the mental battle, mainly because of how badly Joanna is handling the very one-sided nature of how the series has gone. Joanna has also done her popularity no favours by coming off as such a mean-spirited bully and racist.

21 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I skipped TUF for the first time in forever. Did I miss out on much?

The fights and the fighters are OK; nobody is really bad, but nobody really stands out, and there isn't much tension between the teams.

However, the tension between Joanna and Claudia is something to behold, and it's perfectly believable that the two really did get into a fist fight once the show was done filming. It's almost all from Joanna, who started out trying to a bully, a dominant alpha female, even at one point telling Claudia to 'go back the jungle; it's your place'. And that was just in the first few weeks. Joanna's team ended only winning one quarter final fight and it felt like that with each loss, Joanna was losing more and more interest in being there at all, as well as becoming increasingly unbearable in general. Joanna was well on her way to becoming super popular, because of her style and her look, but she has come across so badly this season. I don't know if Claudia will become more popular herself as a result, but Joanna is going to be so hated when she walks out next Friday night.

That thing was filmed in like January or February, it's been months since so I don't know how Joanna has been beaten mentally, when at every public appearance she's made she still looks supremely confident, nothing like what Aldo looked during his public appearances with Connor. 

I also highly doubt anyone is going to boo Joanna, since this is one of the least watched seasons in years, so no one is going to know or care what happened during the show.

14 hours ago, Big Forky Cool said:

You don't think that Claudia beating Joanna in the mental aspect is going to make Joanna want to tear her apart in the cage? I'm not sure Joanna is the person I'd want to piss off.

Fighting angry isn't usually fighting smart. If you come into a fight too aggressive, you can be so intent on hurting your opponent, that strategy goes out the window, you can leave yourself open to a counter attack, and you can gas yourself out early because you're not pacing yourself. Yes, this could end up with Joanna coming out like a bull in a china shop, and Claudia could very well take a serious beating, but if Claudia survives it and lasts the first round, she can come out in the second round as the fresher fighter because Joanna will have expended so much energy. It's a story that we've seen play out numerous times, with a fighter surviving a beating and ending up winning because their opponent has tired themselves out.

And whilst some will argue that by the time the fight takes places, the emotion generated during the filming would have settled and the fighters will have calmed down, that flies in the face of every previous season where the coaches have hated each other, because the bad blood and ill-feeling is still there and once the fight comes around, everything that happened during filming gets stirred up because the season is airing and everyone starts talking about it again.

Yeah, and it's never really affected the fight. Your using fighters' natural resentments towards each other as reasoning for why what happened on TUF matters. It doesn't, the animosity between Rashad and Rampage didn't affect their fight, neither did Miesha and Ronda get their heads affected by it. It's never affected them, they hate each other and that affects them, not whoever beat each other in some mental warfare fans make up in their heads.

So.... Jon Jones has been flagged by USADA, fight with Cormier cancelled, Lesnar vs. Hunt new main event of UFC 200, only three rounds still. Cormier set to lose out on about $1.5m from potential fight pay, bonuses and his cut of the PPV thanks to Jones as there's nobody to replace him (although people like Tom Lawlor are begging for the fight).

Also UFC 200 really doesn't look that special a card anymore.

Jon Jones might be the most dangerous unarmed man on the planet and also the dumbest. 

He's going to end up with a legacy like Tyson 'That guy was something else, imagine what he could of achieved if he hadn't been such a colossal idiot'. 

6 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Jon Jones might be the most dangerous unarmed man on the planet and also the dumbest. 

He's going to end up with a legacy like Tyson 'That guy was something else, imagine what he could of achieved if he hadn't been such a colossal idiot'. 

2569ACFC00000578-0-image-m-40_1423274121

36 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

So.... Jon Jones has been flagged by USADA, fight with Cormier cancelled, Lesnar vs. Hunt new main event of UFC 200, only three rounds still. Cormier set to lose out on about $1.5m from potential fight pay, bonuses and his cut of the PPV thanks to Jones as there's nobody to replace him (although people like Tom Lawlor are begging for the fight).

Also UFC 200 really doesn't look that special a card anymore.

It's gutting but this doesn't change the card being absolutely incredible. It's stacked from top to bottom even without Cormier/Jones II.