UFC News and Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, Vince Russo said:

The UFC women’s bantamweight division is practically deader than disco at this point. In the space of a few weeks, they’ve taken all of the lustre of off; Rousey vs. Holm II, Rousey vs. Tate III and Tate vs. Holm II. You can still do those fights but they don’t mean nearly as much now. And Rousey’s return, if it happens, is still going to be big, but it would have been so much bigger against either Holm or Tate, with one of them holding the title. It’s as if the UFC decided they literally wanted to throw money away.

Are you telling us Rousey vs Nunes isn't a draw as a title fight and as a Ronda Rousey fight?

Forgive the MMA/Wrestling comparison but the biggest let down is how Holm has done since beating the streak. Holly Holm ended the undefeated streak of Ronda Rousey, something that many believed might never happen (assuming Ronda would retire early to do movies), but since then she has looked ordinary against Miesha and bereft of ideas in the latter rounds against Shevchenko to take her out of title contention for a while and has extinguished most of the excitement surrounding her after the Ronda victory.

So many times when MMA has provided a great storyline to follow people say "MMA is doing this better than pro wrestling and they don't even get to write the script" but this is a perfect example of something going completely down the pan because of how they have no control.

Gotta disagree with you there. I don't think she looked ordinary against Miesha Tate. She was definitively winning that fight until she got caught in the fifth. And credit where it's due, Shevchenko is an elite level striker. Holm will bounce back. 

After the last two Holms fights, it really makes me think that the Rhonda knock out was a fluke that would never happen again in a million years. Holm had "The Punchers Chance" that night and she took advantage of it. She has not been impressive in either of her fights following that. Rousey/Nunes could be really fun, especially if Rhonda has been working her boxing in her off time. 

17 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Gotta disagree with you there. I don't think she looked ordinary against Miesha Tate. She was definitively winning that fight until she got caught in the fifth. And credit where it's due, Shevchenko is an elite level striker. Holm will bounce back. 

Holm looked good against Tate and was winning, but she did show weakness, in that whilst she has good takedown defence, if you can actually get her on the ground and keep here there, she has real trouble defending if you get her back. Shevchenko also showed the blueprint to beat Holm, which is don’t rush in and give her the chance to play counterstriker, which is where Ronda blundered, and it’ll be interesting to see if she’s able or willing to change up if she ever returns.

13 hours ago, Leave It To Forky said:

After the last two Holms fights, it really makes me think that the Rhonda knock out was a fluke that would never happen again in a million years. Holm had "The Punchers Chance" that night and she took advantage of it. She has not been impressive in either of her fights following that. Rousey/Nunes could be really fun, especially if Rhonda has been working her boxing in her off time. 

Nah, she beat the fuck out of Ronda and deserved finished her. Styles makes fights, especially in the women's divisions where the skillset is still somewhat underdeveloped compared to the men and the fighters are still fairly one dimensional. There isn't really anyone who is high level in both striking and grappling, it's either one or the other.

In their fight, Ronda had no answer to Holm's boxing. Then Holm wasn't able to defend Tate's takedowns and superior grappling in their fight and lost and against Shevchenko, she had no answer to Shevchenko's superior counter fighting. Same that Miesha had no comeback to Nunes' superior striking in their title fight. Each of those five women have obvious strengths to their games, but they all also have glaring and exploitable weaknesses. For example, the strongest weapon in the division is still Rousey's Judo but her stand up is the by far the worst out of those five.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leave It To Forky said:

How was she not impressive in the Tate fight? Tate only managed 2 takedowns, and sure both of those times were probably the most significant moments of the fight, but for the other 4 or so rounds Holly had Tate reeling, her back up against the wall, confusing her the whole time on the feet.

And if anything, Shevchenko's performance was the true star this weekend, not Holm being lackluster. Valentina showed how elite her fighting mind was.

Was I the only one who cared about UFC 201? :shifty:

Went to the same pub that I saw 200 at, determined to have a good afternoon out.  I found that back when I used to watch UFC at another place a couple of years ago , the cards that seemingly nobody else cared about, were some of my favorites. So the lack of hype amongst anyone I know that likes UFC for this card didn't bother me.

So me and Molly show up and are the only ones there, which has its advantages(prompt bar service, pick of the tables). Anyway the pubs feed isn't working. The guy behind the bar claims its been paid for and he doesn't know why it's not working. First they give it 15 minutes, then the box is reset a few times but we give up and leave after an hour.

Went to a nearby town to watch the new Bourne movie to salvage the day.

Lawler got cracked good and proper. Woodley probably faces Stephen Thompson next, or Nick Diaz if Woodley forces the issue. The ideal opponent next to rehab Lawler is Johny Hendricks because it's got built in interest due to it being the trilogy fight, and it's a fight that Lawler should win. Jake Ellenberger looking good in stopping Matt Brown. It's one thing to submit Brown but this is the first time he's been stopped with strikes. I'd like to see Ellenberger against the winner of Rick Story vs. Donald Cerrone. Overall, UFC 201 was pretty good.

Edited by Vince Russo

3 hours ago, Leave It To Forky said:

I can't figure out why they still let Herman fight. 

To be fair, it was only the second time that he's ever been stopped by strikes. There are way more guys out there that should be stopped from competing before you get to him. 

They let Ed Herman fight because his fights are generally exciting or they have an exciting finish. He's fairly tough and durable; like @Cymbols  said, this is only the second time he's been finished by strikes, so he makes an excellent gatekeeper for fighters moving up the card. If you're having fights like Ed Herman has, UFC aren't letting you go unless you really hit the skids, and even then, they can sometimes give you one last chance. Look at Jake Ellenberger. The guy was 1-5 in his six fights prior to Saturday, and even though he was putting on exciting fights or having exciting finishes, the UFC still cut him. But he begged for one more chance, they gave it to him, and he went ahead and became the first person to stop Matt Brown via strikes. And for all the reasons above, even though Brown is now 1-4 in his last five fights, he'll probably be another fighter kept around when most think, just looking at his record, he should be gone.

Some interesting fights have been made. Jimi Manuwa vs. Ovince Saint Preux and Stefan Struve vs. Ruslan Magomedov have been added to UFC 204, set to take place in England on October 8th, and apparently where Bisping vs. Henderson will take place. Manuwa is a gatekeeper type, so this looks to be OSP being given a win after losing to Jon Jones. Struve vs. Magomedov  could go either way, depending on whether Struve's comeback is more than just a quick knockout of the easily knocked out Bigfoot.

According to reports from Brazil, Cris Cyborg is in the main event of UFC Fight Night 95, which takes place on September 24th in Brazil, and she'll be fighting Lina 'Elbow Princess' Lansberg. Also on that card, Renan Barao will be fighting Phillipe Nover. It's rather obvious those fights have been made with the intention of giving the home town fighters a big win in front of their countrymen. Cyborg should come through, and Barao should beat Nover, but Barao didn't look good in his return to featherweight against Jeremy Stephens, so we'll see.