UFC News and Discussion Thread

Try this @EddieG

Nate DIaz and Conor McGregor

Well that happened!! ? Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz went from 0-100 real quick at the #UFC202 presser!

Posted by UFC on Wednesday, August 17, 2016

On 16/08/2016 at 23:29, Cloudy said:

Anyone catch Evolution of Punk? I didn't realize these things were only 30 minutes, was expecting an hour. The first one was interesting enough to make me want to keep up with it, though.

It was very interesting. I thought Punk came off very well, in that he's clearly taking this seriously and this isn't some kind of joke or something he's doing just to see if he can do it. Punk is determined to do the best he can. It was his first couple of weeks of training so he obviously didn't look good in a lot of the things he did, but with his drive and determination, I think Punk is going to end up surprising people. Not that I think he'll win, but I think he's going to look like a very competent fighter, and given that most people were or are expecting him to look like shit, being competent is not that bad. In any event, I respect the man for not just taking a risk but in putting in the effort to make the most of the opportunity he's been given.

Punk's debut comes in the middle of a very busy period for the UFC, as UFC 202 marks the start of nine consecutive weekend's of events

• Like 1

That Johnson fellow packs a hell of a punch, doesn't he?

It was a very competitive fight, but Conor did enough to win. He might not have finished Nate, but only two people have, so there's no shame in not doing so. Conor was tiring late in the second and it allowed Nate to get into the fight, and whilst Conor seemed to find a second wind, welterweight is still a weight class too much for Conor to fight at his best for the whole fight. I'd like to see Conor defend the featherweight title against Aldo, and we'll probably get that fight next, and probably what happens in that fight will decide when we get Conor and Diaz again, because if Conor wins, I think he'll make another play for a shot at the lightweight title.

I'm not sure how anyone can say Conor won that fight. I mean I give him credit because he did well and it was a very close fight but it was 2-2 going into the fifth round and Nate won that round. It at least makes me want to see a third fight but I still don't think Conor can beat Nate.

That Johnson fight was a brutal knock out. 

Overall it was a good night of fights.

6 minutes ago, SlicedBread said:

Conor won round 1, 2 and 4. So as long as that fight went to decision he had it in the bag.

2 and 3 are the question marks. While Conor controls most of the fight for the first 3 or so minutes of the second (and even get's two knockdowns), you could still argue Diaz does more damage in the final minute and a half, not surprised that round went to Conor though.

Round 3 was bordering on 10-8 due to the last minute or so. I've seen fights stopped for less than that, Diaz was battering Conor at the end. Ridiculously close fight. I had Diaz winning on first view, on second view it's just as close, possibly a draw. Great fight either way.