UFC News and Discussion Thread

Frank Mir, re: CM Punk/Mickey Gall (quoted from MMAFighting, who was quoting Mir's podcast):

"I'm gonna be honest, it pisses me off. I don't like it. I'm trying to be impartial and not be a dick but the more we talk about this the more I'm getting angry at the situation because it's bullsh*t. This is not a legitimate fight. This is not a legitimate UFC fight. We have these kind of fights in boxing ... they have those celebrity matchups where it's a name guy that shouldn't be in there getting in there with somebody that has a novelty to it and people might turn it on for the novelty act behind it but you wouldn't have it on the undercard of a Mayweather fight. They wouldn't put those two together and the fact that we are putting that on there doesn't sit well with me.

"We want to be in New York and we want to be legitimate and we want to be even with boxing and have that kind of credibility, and boxing wouldn't do this. I mean, they do do this but they don't put it on the same card with their championship fights."

Because nothing has the voice of moral authority like a man facing a two year suspension for failing a drug test.

And if you're going to complain about Punk being in the UFC, at least be fair and make the same point about Mickey Gall, who no more belongs in the UFC than Punk does, and wouldn't even be there if they didn't need the absolute lowest pro fighter they could find so that Punk had a remote chance of not being destroyed inside of thirty seconds.

I don't understand why everyone's talking about how some of these fighters don't seem to like this CM Punk fight or something. Who cares? With the amount of hokey pokey fights that are happening right now, plus the international expansion which meant international fighters who are well below the level of readiness they should be to step inside the Octagon, there isn't a legitimate "UFC Standard" anymore. Nobody even really cares, they just want to see good old fashioned fun fights. When a guy who's almost 50 years old is challenging for a UFC belt next month, this really isn't the era of putting skill against skill anymore.

18 minutes ago, Vince Russo said:

Because nothing has the voice of moral authority like a man facing a two year suspension for failing a drug test.

And if you're going to complain about Punk being in the UFC, at least be fair and make the same point about Mickey Gall, who no more belongs in the UFC than Punk does, and wouldn't even be there if they didn't need the absolute lowest pro fighter they could find so that Punk had a remote chance of not being destroyed inside of thirty seconds.

He didn't mention nor blame Punk alone.

Wouldn't they have matched Punk against the guy Gall beat if they wanted to give him 'the lowest guy'? 

Punk's an interesting experiment, how much can someone learn from scratch in two years training full time with the absolute best coaches money can buy? 

• Like 1