UFC News and Discussion Thread

Why is it everytime that I decide to skip a UFC PPV the main event ends in .5 seconds? The last PPV I missed the main event was Arlovski/Buentello....15 seconds long. This time it was Babalu and Liddell. What in the world was Babalu thinking?

Sure you caught him with a punch or two but this is Chuck Freakin Liddell. You don't chase after the man. He rocked his world backing up. (Someone was gracious enough to put these fights up online if youre wondering how I saw)

Bonnar/Griffin 2 - Was pretty good; obviously not the classic the 1st one was but come on thats a Fight Of The Year. Bonnar just looked real tense at times and didn't let go until it was too late. Forrest has improved so much.

Which brings me to my FAVORITE fight of the night. Nick Diaz Vs Josh Neer. Nick Diaz is just one of those guys I just can't help but like. The dude can throw; he's good on the ground. He lost his last 3 fights in the UFC sure but they were all close and they were all decisions. He takes this fight on 4 days notice, a lot of the guys I've notice taking fights on short short notice usually don't do to well but Nick keeps himself in great shape. Neer is a good fighter but he had zero time to prepare for Diaz. Diaz assaulted him for 2 rounds before getting him into a picture perfect kimura and putting himself right back in the UFC picture. Loved it.

Also that Chieck Kongo knee to Wellisch was pretty crazy. Kongo looks like he has some potential.

As for Vera; he's another one of my favorite fighters. The thing about him is he walks around and fights at 225 pounds so dropping down to 205 would be almost nothing for him. With that being said I would hate to see him drop down right now especially with the state the Heavyweight division is in. He could be on the top of the Heavyweight Division sooner then later.

Damn, I was at the cottage this week and missed the show. I'll probably watch it tomorrow.

Sucks, I come back to news that GSP is out for sure. I really hope Hughes beats Penn, because the Hughes/GSP match up is 100% more interesting, to me at least.

I can't believe Henderson lost in the Bushido Welterweight Grand Prix. I read it was a real good event, hopefully I can catch it.

But man, no GSP vs. Hughes and no Silva vs. Liddell.... If we weren't getting Silva vs. Cro Cop and Josh Barnett vs. Nog on September 10th, I'd be depressed. Thankfully, Final Conflict is looking like the show of the year right now on paper and I'm excited as fuck.

Grand Prix Semi-Final Bouts:

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Wanderlei Silva

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett

Grand Prix Finals:

Silva/Cro Cop vs. Nog/Barnett

Grand Prix Alternate Bout:

Sergei Kharitonov vs. Aleksander Emelianenko

Ricardo Arona vs. Alistair Overeem

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Cyrille Diabate

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Yoshihiro Nakao

Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos vs. Yosuke Nishijima

• 2 weeks later...

So, uh, Stephan Bonnar tested positive for anabolic steriods (Boldenone Metabolite).

In a developing news story that broke on Wednesday's edition of MMAWeekly Radio, MMAWeekly has learned that Stephan Bonnar tested positive for an anabolic steroid after his fight against Forrest Griffin at UFC 62 on August 26th.

The specific banned substance that was found in Bonnar's post-fight urine sample after his unanimous decision loss to Griffin was Boldenone Metabolite, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission's drug testing results.

Boldenone is an anabolic steroid that is intended for use only by veterinarians, specifically to help rehabilitate injured horses. It has several brand names for veterinary use, including Equigan, Equipoise, Ultragan, and Ganabol. It is on the banned substances list of all the major athletic commissions and sports leagues.

In a formal complaint filed on Wednesday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Bonnar was informed of his positive test result and was made aware that the NSAC has the right to suspend and/or fine him for his positive test result, pending a disciplinary hearing.

The amount of the fine can be up to $250,000, or the complete amount of the fighter's purse for the event, whichever amount is greater. In this case, Bonnar's purse for the August 26th fight was $16,000, so the maximum possible fine is $250,000.

The length of the suspension can be whatever the NSAC deems appropriate, but the suspensions have ranged from three to twelve months in past instances of mixed martial artists and boxers testing positive for banned substances.

According to the NSAC complaint, Bonnar's side has 20 days from the date of the complaint to issue a formal response to the NSAC in writing, which would put the date at September 26th.

After Bonnar's side has formally responded, the NSAC will set the date for a disciplinary hearing, at which Bonnar will be "entitled to be represented by counsel of his choice" and will also be entitled to "cross-examine witnesses, present evidence, and argue on his own behalf before a decision is made by the Commission."

Even before his drug test results came back positive for a banned substance, Bonnar had already been medically suspended for six months due to a broken right thumb, so it's unlikely that he would have fought again this year even if he hadn't tested positive for a banned substance at UFC 62.

Boldenone is not generally a popular drug among bodybuilders because of the fact that traces of the drug remain in the user's system for several months after use. According to Food and Drug Administration filings, which cited the Office of New Animal Drug Evaluation, Boldenone is intended for use by veterinarians as "an aid for treating debilitated horses when an improvement in weight, hair coat, or general physical condition is desired."

The FDA filings added, "Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian." Due to potential health risks for humans, the FDA has gone so far as to say that Boldenone "should not be administered to horses intended for human consumption."

The possible side effects of Boldenone when used by humans include high blood pressure, increased water retention, elevated levels of estrogen, possible hair loss, flu-like symptoms, anxiety, and acne.

A total of eighteen fighters competed on the UFC 62 card on August 26th, and four of those eighteen fighters were drug tested by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. In addition to Bonnar, the other fighters who were drug-tested were Chuck Liddell, Renato "Babalu" Sobral, and Forrest Griffin, all of whom passed their drug tests.

With a cost-per-fighter of $278.40 to run all of the tests for steroids, stimulants, and recreational drugs, the total amount spent on drug testing for UFC 62 was $1,113.60.

At the UFC Fight Night card in Las Vegas on August 17th, four of the eighteen fighters who competed were drug tested by the NSAC. Those fighters were the two main event fighters, Diego Sanchez and Karo Parisyan, as well as two fighters who were selected at random, Josh Koscheck and Jason Von Flue. Sanchez, Parisyan, Koscheck, and Von Flue all passed their drug tests.

As with UFC 62, the total amount spent on drug testing for UFC Fight Night was $1,113.60.

Edited by The Man They Call Tristy

I hope someone puts the Cro Cop\Silva fight online.

As for Bonnar, I assume that they don't do like in some other sports like cycling and track and field where they have a backup sample to test when someone tests positive for a banned substance?

-Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos def. Yosuke Nishijima via Submission (rear naked choke) in Round 1.

-Mirko CroCop def. Vanderlei Silva via KO (high kick) in Round 1.

-Josh Barnett def. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira via Split Decision after 3 Rounds.

-Aleksander Emelianenko def. Sergei Kharitonov via TKO (strikes) in Round 1.

-Ricardo Morais def. Lee Tae Hyun via TKO (corner stoppage) in Round 1.

-Kazuhiro Nakamura def. Yoshihiro Nakao via Unanimous Decision after 3 Rounds.

-Mauricio "Shogun" Rua def. Cyrille "The Snake" Diabate via TKO (ref stoppage) in Round 1.

-Ricardo Arona def. Alistair Overeem via TKO (strikes) in Round 1.

-Mirko CroCop def. Josh Barnett via TKO (strikes) in Round 1.