UFC News and Discussion Thread

I think I am ordering this.

I do not see BJ Penn winning this fight. Sure, he beat Matt Hughes in there first fight. Hughes then had to shake off a stupid assumption that he was suddenly vulnerable to any and all submissions because of it, I think Matt Hughes is going to go into the fight with Penn looking to dominate. The only true blemish on Hughes's record came from a mistake he made against Penn, and I would not be surprised to see BJ Penn layed out in the first round, either through ground and pound or maybe even a rear naked choke.

Ground and Pound is hard to do against Penn. His dexterity is phenomenal, and makes for an awesome guard. I see Hughes winning myself, but with Penn I can see this fight going either way and ending early or late in a variety of ways. In my opinion St. Pierre is the best Welterweight right now, and Penn went toe to toe with GSP not too long ago, which bodes well for Penn going in to this fight.

Password for the EWB Pick Em': welterweight

Very solid card with a lot of exciting even matchups. Also lots of young talent who are trying to find their way into the UFC for good so it should be fun.

Hughes by GNP but I wouldn't be suprised if Penn beats him. BJ is a world class MMA fighter but as his music that he comes down to the octagon says A Country Boy Can and Will Survive.

This is going to be a fun event. I was looking forward to GSP/Hughes II, but I'm more than happy to settle with Penn/Hughes II.

I'm picking Matt Hughes by decision. Matt is one fighter that is constantly evolving between each fight, he continues to get better and better, and what's scary is that even when he's not improving, he's still the top 170 lb fighter in the world. That being said, I believe BJ has the ability to be the kryptonite to Matt Hughes' Superman image. Hell, he did it once already. He's quick, he's unpredictable, he's one of top BJJ practitioners in MMA, and he claims to still be in his prime. A combination that hasn't been kind to Matt in the past. On top of that, BJ's stand up is very underrated and I didn't even fully appreciate it myself until he fought GSP and controlled the pace of the fight on the feet in the first round. I think in a fight like this, where Matt knows how good BJ is on the ground, he's going to want to flex his striking muscles, which he claims he has, though we never get to see much of it. I think if he tries to keep it standing for a bit, he'll be quickly taken back to how good BJ actually is standing up. But wait, there's a catch, a chink in BJ's armor. The one thing BJ has lacked in previous fights (not just any fights, but the majority of his most important fights) is keeping his presence felt going into the later rounds. BJ's one for controlling the pace of a fight, then suddenly dwindling after that, allowing opponents to catch up and eventually blowing the fight on the judges scorecard. It happened against Jens Pulver, it happened the second fight against Caol Uno (Caol was able to pull a draw out in the end, which maybe was a poor decision, but BJ didn't exactly dominate enough of the fight to have the win gift wrapped), and most recently it happened against St. Pierre. Matt Hughes is not the kind of fighter you want to let catch up to you, because he will catch up and burn you. If you don't beat him when you have the chance (which is a rare occurance), you're not beating him at all. I'll give BJ a two round window to end this fight, but if it goes into third and beyond, Matt is going to outwork him and take this fight by decision.

Oh, by the way, there is a Hughes/Penn special on Spike TV tonight at 11.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I've got a team, now I just need to join the group, which is done... how, exactly? :ohwell:

Click on your team and the links to the left should have some stuff like, "Join a League" or "View League" and so forth... then search EWB Pick Em', password is listed here.

If I were Penn, and I saw that picture...I would stay home on Saturday!!!

His brother kinda looks like Chris Jericho in the face a little.

Anyway....

Can't afford the show this weekend, but I'll be rooting my ass off for BJ.