Inception

LL!

I agree with Zero. For all the hype, for the armies of friends telling me it was "zOMG FILM OF THE YEAR///BEST FILM EVAR" it was 'only' good. A gimmick doesn't make a film, as neat a gimmick as Inception may have. Tension was built well enough, performances were good and it's well worth the watch, but it is over-hyped.

I can't remember if it was in the first scene, from one of those hype things on Facebook, or completely made up in my own mind, but if you manipulate the dream too much then wouldn't it cause the mark to wake up from the dream since the mark knows all sorts of weird shit is happening?

I can't remember if it was in the first scene, from one of those hype things on Facebook, or completely made up in my own mind, but if you manipulate the dream too much then wouldn't it cause the mark to wake up from the dream since the mark knows all sorts of weird shit is happening?

If so, I can't help but feel a little confused. It's a dream. That's where weird shit is supposed to happen.

Yeah, they seemed to contradict themselves with "it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange" and "don't get too strange in here or the mark will know they're dreaming."

Yeah, they seemed to contradict themselves with "it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange" and "don't get too strange in here or the mark will know they're dreaming."

The subconscious (soldiers, pedestrians, etc.) is what was recognizing something foreign and try to kill it (kick it out of the dream), while the conscious mind wouldn't realize they were dreaming until afterward, if at all. Not really a contradiction.

I feel like this movie is probably better the second time around (haven't seen it again to test it) because that would allow me to pay more direct attention to the intricacies of the rules and such that Nolan has crafted for this premise without having to worry about discerning the plot and such.

I would agree that the film was poorly marketed, but it definitely lived up to and exceeded my expectations and my perceptions of the "hype" surrounding it. I think calling this Nolan's masterpiece is fitting out of all of the movies he's directed and/or written. Furthermore, as far as I'm concerned, it made up for an entirely lackluster summer movie season. Sure, this summer's had some expected gems and even surprises, but I counted on Inception to deliver and it did. Upon a single viewing, this film definitely jumped up onto my list of favorite movies of all time.

I feel like this movie is probably better the second time around (haven't seen it again to test it) because that would allow me to pay more direct attention to the intricacies of the rules and such that Nolan has crafted for this premise without having to worry about discerning the plot and such.

I would agree that the film was poorly marketed, but it definitely lived up to and exceeded my expectations and my perceptions of the "hype" surrounding it. I think calling this Nolan's masterpiece is fitting out of all of the movies he's directed and/or written. Furthermore, as far as I'm concerned, it made up for an entirely lackluster summer movie season. Sure, this summer's had some expected gems and even surprises, but I counted on Inception to deliver and it did. Upon a single viewing, this film definitely jumped up onto my list of favorite movies of all time.

In no way was this superior to The Dark Knight. It was great, sure, but The Dark Knight is like our generations Godfather. Despite the fact I found The Godfather boring and far too long, but that's beside the point! I'd say Prestige is better too. I think I'd rank this above Batman Begins and Memento though.

I'm a filthy whore for the love of those that I've never met in reality, but I honestly don't see how anyone can say this is Nolans masterpiece. It's a great film, I really enjoyed it, but it in terms of story, cast, the way the story was told and the way everything was pieced together it just wasn't as strong as Prestige and certainly not Dark Knight. I love all of Nolans work that I've seen (which doesn't include Insomnia and The Following) but I honestly believe this was a little weaker than I expected. Though, weak by Nolans standards is still better than most films out there. :P

The film never felt like it came full circle and had too large a cast to ever actually allow for much development for anyone whose name didn't end in DiCaprio. Which is a crying shame because I loved the cast, Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy especially shined bright in this film. I didn't feel at the end like the story had all come together for a real ending, I felt more like DiCaprio's part of the story had reached it's end. And the beginning certainly didn't grab me anywhere near as well as Prestige or Dark Knight did. I just didn't feel the story was as strong as either film, despite still being great.

I'm a filthy whore for the love of those that I've never met in reality, but I honestly don't see how anyone can say this is Nolans masterpiece. It's a great film, I really enjoyed it, but it in terms of story, cast, the way the story was told and the way everything was pieced together it just wasn't as strong as Prestige and certainly not Dark Knight. I love all of Nolans work that I've seen (which doesn't include Insomnia and The Following) but I honestly believe this was a little weaker than I expected. Though, weak by Nolans standards is still better than most films out there. :P

The film never felt like it came full circle and had too large a cast to ever actually allow for much development for anyone whose name didn't end in DiCaprio. Which is a crying shame because I loved the cast, Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy especially shined bright in this film. I didn't feel at the end like the story had all come together for a real ending, I felt more like DiCaprio's part of the story had reached it's end. And the beginning certainly didn't grab me anywhere near as well as Prestige or Dark Knight did. I just didn't feel the story was as strong as either film, despite still being great.

This is so stupidly true. I've fallen in love with Tom Hardy after this film. And I've been a big fan of Murphey since Batman Begins. He seriously needs to be in more movies. Nolan really does have a fantastic eye for talent.

I didn't feel the character development needed to be fleshed out more then it already was. The movie was clearly more about DiCaprio's character and his issues affecting Inception and the other characters were developed well enough to get that main point across without leaving the audience asking "and what was the point of that guy?".

The ending was great though:

A collective groan went through everyone in my cinema when it cuts off before you can see the top fall or not. Was the first time I've ever witnessed a collective cinema audience reaction that wasn't laughter