Inception

LL!

Didn't see a thread for this, and that's alarming as this is looking to be the best movie this year. Movie news is getting less interesting with boring super hero movie news and movies based on board games. Let's take a moment to analyze this latest trailer released with Iron Man 2.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd83is_inception-bande-annonce-trailer-3-v_shortfilms

We seem to finally be getting a semblance of plot and how fantastic this thing is looking.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to it as a fan of Nolans work and my absolute adoration of Michael Caine, but I really don't see how you can say it's looking like it'll be the best film this year. Even with the reveal of the new trailer, I'd say the jury's still out on wherever this will be genuinely enjoyable or another film that's too stuck up it's own ass to appeal to everyone. I'm hoping it's the former, though I don't think it's something I'm really looking forward too all that much.

Then again, I've never seen the hype behind DiCaprio, so I suppose that isn't helping it's case for me.

• Like 1

Christopher Nolan can do no wrong for me. His fingerprints are all over this as a producer, writer, and director. The story looks interesting as hell and the cast is absolutely incredible. Leonardo DiCaprio is an excellent actor and he shines with shit like this.

More than enough reason to say this is movie of the year looking at the movie calendar.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty safe to say it could be one of the best movies of the year, Nolan's got four flat-out amazing movies under his belt - Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Memento and The Prestige... and Insomnia's not bad either - and continues to solidify his status as one of the most creative minds in Hollywood today. Inception looks like an absolute mindfuck, and I'll be in line on opening night.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to it as a fan of Nolans work and my absolute adoration of Michael Caine, but I really don't see how you can say it's looking like it'll be the best film this year. Even with the reveal of the new trailer, I'd say the jury's still out on wherever this will be genuinely enjoyable or another film that's too stuck up it's own ass to appeal to everyone. I'm hoping it's the former, though I don't think it's something I'm really looking forward too all that much.

Then again, I've never seen the hype behind DiCaprio, so I suppose that isn't helping it's case for me.

Out of curiosity, what other movie would be the best of the year? Of course there's going to be the annual Oscar contenders later in the year, but I can't think of any movie coming out this year that looks like it'll be as good as Inception.

Then again, I've been hyped for this movie since I heard about it and I agree, Nolan can do no wrong (he's yet to) and I'm confident he'll make a great movie, especially with the cast he's lined up with DiCaprio, Caine, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, and Cillian Murphy. Not to mention that the premise is generally intriguing and something that isn't just a remake, an adaptation of a comic book/graphic novel or based on a toy of some sort.

Like I say, I'm looking forward to it, I just don't know if I think it'll be all that good. For me personally I'm a huge fan of Nolans work (The Prestige is easily one of, if not my favourite film) I just don't see it being quite as incredible as the hype is making it out to be. Which I'm quite happy for as well, because I imagine if I had huge hopes for the film I'd come out disappointed no matter what.

Again, keep in mind I've never been a fan of DiCaprio, he just doesn't do anything for me as an actor.

And Livid, I'm not saying there's another in particular I think will be better, I just think with this film there's a lot of potential for it to not live up to the expectations a lot of people have for it, which is the downside to having so much success with previous films like Nolan has.

Wow...this film ticks three of my favourite cinematic boxes:

Directed by Christopher Nolan.

Starring Ellen Page.

Mind-Fucking Sci-Fi Thriller.

In the words of Tracy Jordan, I wish that I could take my new-found expectations of this film behind a middle school and get them pregnant. When the hell is this film due for release? blink.gif

Edited by badotori

Yeah, Nolan's name on this is enough to be squeeling like a teenage girl. The fact that it has DiCaprio (who totally won me over in Shutter Island), Michael Caine, Gordan-Lovitt and Ellen Page only adds to my excitement. I agree with LL. Nolan, for me, can do no wrong. He's my favourite director and I have no doubt he'll deliver the goods. This is probably my most anticipated film of the year and I can't fucking wait.

• 2 months later...

It wasn't really all that mind blowing, but I did love it. Maybe the age old 'MAYBE ITS ALL A DREAM' thing just doesn't do it for me any more. Not the best film ever, but certainly up there close. I didn't expect it to meet the hype, and whilst I was never completely drawn in, I did really enjoy it and felt it was an incredible story. I remember reading a review that I think sums it best, it compared the story to a game of chess, which I think works perfectly. I felt it marketed itself poorly though. "The scene of the crime is inside your head?" Doesn't really make sense. It was very much a different film than the advertisements portrayed. Still brilliant though and some of the portrayls, whilst lacking character development of any kind, were fantastic. Eames was easily my favourite, I hope Tom Hardy starts to find himself with some larger roles now.

And Cillian Murphy sighting! smile.gif I kept expecting him to say something along the lines of "I told you my compounds would take you places... I just never said they'd be places you wanted to go." though.

• Like 1

I've been called a "Michael Bay fan" for complaining about the movie not matching the advertising, because all I wanted was "big budget CGI effects." When actually, my bitching about the advertising is because I felt like I was going into MC Escher meets Dark City, when that stuff barely made up 5% of the movie, and the actual movie was pretty cut and dry.

There was definitely room for improvement when it came to the other characters. There seemed to be very little motivation for anyone besides Cobb. I mean, we know Saito wanted to crush the company... but that was about it for his character. Why did Arthur decide to join along? What the hell did Eames get out of this? Why did Yusuf risk his life in a nigh-impossible challenge? Who were Cobb's company? Where did the Inception tech originate from?

It just didn't feel like it came full circle, which is something Nolan usually perfects. Even in films he plans to have a sequel, he nicely rounds out the story. Inception didn't have that, it just kind of ended. Why wouldn't Cobb's company still come after him? How would one phone call from Saito make Cobb an innocent man?

There was definitely room for improvement when it came to the other characters. There seemed to be very little motivation for anyone besides Cobb. I mean, we know Saito wanted to crush the company... but that was about it for his character. Why did Arthur decide to join along? What the hell did Eames get out of this? Why did Yusuf risk his life in a nigh-impossible challenge? Who were Cobb's company? Where did the Inception tech originate from?

It just didn't feel like it came full circle, which is something Nolan usually perfects. Even in films he plans to have a sequel, he nicely rounds out the story. Inception didn't have that, it just kind of ended. Why wouldn't Cobb's company still come after him? How would one phone call from Saito make Cobb an innocent man?

I think it was said somewhere that they were all getting paid. Given how rich Saito is, it's probably decent motivation. Also, they weren't expecting to risk their lives. They had no idea that Fisher had a personal military wandering around in his head.

Personally, I thought the story was pretty straightforward. What I didn't like was how the dream world is so...logical. I mean, was the best they could come up with gravity shifts? Meh. Psychonauts did it better.