RIP Ronnie James Dio

Crybaby Bunting

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever." Love, Wendy

http://www.ronniejamesdio.com/

It was first rumoured early this morning and has spread like wildfire ever since.

I miss him already :(

EDIT: It appears the site has crashed, but it should be on major music sites within the hour.

Edited by The General

I was never a big fan - his stint in Sabbath comes after most of their stuff I was actually interested in, and barely any of his solo material interested me - too much ludicrous fantasy-centric heavy metal bravado cliché, but fuck it, he was still Dio, and he was something pretty special. When he was good, he was DAMN good.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I DJ'd a heavy metal night and didn't play this song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SedQcg-65a8

Ronnie James Dio was my all-time favourite vocalist of any music genre. To me, nobody blended raw power and vocal range quite like Dio, and I am proud to say that he was the closest thing I have ever had to an idol in the world of music.

I was fortunate enough to see him live twice in my life, once with Dio and once with Black Sabbath, or Heaven and Hell, as they were more recently known. I sincerely doubt that anything will top those experiences for me. To be honest, I find it hard to say much more at the moment, and I certainly can't find the words to do this great man justice.

I don't like to throw around outlandish comments in the heat of the moment, but I truly feel justified in saying that the world has lost THE heavy metal legend.

Very sorry to hear this. I knew he was ill, and it just occurred to me recently that I hadn't heard anything about him of late. He was an amazing vocalist- like you said, Bobfoc, nobody blended power and range like him- sort of the Freddie Mercury of heavy metal. Of course, that's a pretty basic comparison that doesn't come close to telling the whole story- nothing can, save for listening to his music. The world most certainly lost a legend.

The world has lost one of its greatest vocalists, and one of it's greatest imaginations to boot.

Here's are some links to a few of his songs, or songs he sung on for other bands - let's all rock out for Dio.

'Heaven & Hell' by Black Sabbath

'The Mob Rules' by Black Sabbath

'Rainbow in the Dark' by Dio

'Never More' by Elf

'Kill The King' by Rainbow

'Stargazer' by Rainbow

\\m// ( (><) ) \\m//

Like others I was never a fan of Dio-era Sabbath, but fuck it. I absolutely adored all the ludicrous, over the top fantasy-heavy songs he did as a solo artist. Really blows that he died, man.

I always liked Dio-era Sabbath the best. I think Dio's vocals just shat all over Ozzy's.

And Rainbow is one of my favorite bands ever. I was fortunate enough to get to see Heaven And Hell live a couple years ago and I'm so grateful for that, it was a tremendous show.

R.I.P. Ronnie.

Damn..... just, damn...

RIP Dio...

Count me in the same mould as Skummy. Never really the biggest fan, but always respected the guy, and his really good stuff was awesome period.

Like Boulder, I was thinking the other day that I hadn't heard about him and his health for a while. Really sad to hear of his passing. RIP

Like a lot of people seemingly I was never the biggest fan of Dio-era sabbath, but still ive always enjoyed his work when hearing it. I had tickets to see Heaven & Hell supporting Iron Maiden this summer, and its sad to think i'll never get to see the legend in action live.

RIP

Gods aren't supposed to die. :(

RIP Ronnie.

My thoughts exactly. I consider myself lucky now to have seen him twice, back when he played for Heaven and Hell or as it should have been called Black Sabbath. I know Ozzy was the first singer, but for me Dio was my Sabbath. He will be missed, but never forgotten.

RIP

It seems the second stage at Download is now called the Ronnie James Dio Stage. :)

And Bloodstock are working on something too, apparently.

RIP Ronnie.

My thoughts exactly. I consider myself lucky now to have seen him twice, back when he played for Heaven and Hell or as it should have been called Black Sabbath. I know Ozzy was the first singer, but for me Dio was my Sabbath. He will be missed, but never forgotten.

RIP

You met Dio! What was it like to meet such talent! Goh, Terribly sad.... Dio never really did have a huge mainstreme fan base, that he deserved

Never really been a fan of his music. However, his death has still hit me a lot harder than most musical deaths. I'd attribute this mainly to the fact that he seemed such a nice guy. I'd never heard anyone say anything bad about Ronnie James' character.

There was a really nice story I heard from someone who went to see him once (for Heaven & Hell IIRC) where the roadies set up his mic stand at a height of two feet (obviously due to his short stature). You'd imagine that they'd only do that either if their boss was a total dickhead or a nice guy who can take a joke. With Dio it was certainly the latter.

He'll be missed.

• Like 1

RIP Ronnie.

RIP

You met Dio! What was it like to meet such talent! Goh, Terribly sad.... Dio never really did have a huge mainstreme fan base, that he deserved

I wish, no I mean I saw him perform on stage twice. I'm kicking myself for not getting the VIP package to actually met him. All I can say of him is that his albums do not do his voice justice. The man had voice was always better live then on any album I have heard.