Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

Rooney added: "I've talked to the manager and the owners and they've convinced me this is where I belong I'll get as much money as I would've got at City."

A nice move planned by Mr. Stretford, I'll give him that. Haven't him and Rooney made us all look stupid.

Not that I've fallen in love with him again, he'll have to start playing well and earn back everyones support.

... ten quid on him scoring against Stoke, anyone? <_<

He'll be out of that game - with another ankle injury. :shifty:

Oh, yeah, that. I'm starting to lose count already.

Edited by Shelty92

Best bit for me so far is when interviewing fans outside Old Trafford the fella in the white van didn't want to turn down his radio and the whole chat went on with Money For Nothing by Dire Straits in the background. I'm not trying to make any clever point on super rich footballers, its just a great tune!

• Like 1

All I can say is he's going to have to work super hard and up his performances to win back the fans after that performance. Talk about taking a club hostage to get a better pay deal for yourself, his comments have really riled people up the wrong way.

I also get the feeling that the huge media interest and the genuine shock from everybody showed him what a big club he's at. (Albeit one with plenty of financial problems)

Edited by Sam

I'm sort of surprised, not that Rooney was bluffing, but that Ferguson would take him back so readily. He's shown in the past that he puts his foot down hard with players who cross him, I expected him to take the hard line with Rooney even though he has come back. It sends out the wrong signals if he's welcomed back with open arms, because it's pretty much admitting that this one player actually is bigger than the club.

I'm sort of surprised, not that Rooney was bluffing, but that Ferguson would take him back so readily. He's shown in the past that he puts his foot down hard with players who cross him, I expected him to take the hard line with Rooney even though he has come back. It sends out the wrong signals if he's welcomed back with open arms, because it's pretty much admitting that this one player actually is bigger than the club.

Literally in David Beckham's case

• Like 1

Actually he pushed his foot forward, a shoe's not gonna fly into Becks' head by putting his foot down.

Don't attempt to explain gravity and physics to DJ Ice. It just won't go well.

And yeah, my initial reaction to this was that Rooney seriously wanted out. But I can't say I'm the least bit surprised that he "changed his mind" after getting a fat contract.

1. He wanted out
  2. Real didn't want him
  3. City didn't want him
  4. He started to get death threats

So it's not THAT surprising that he's signed a new contract <_<

The question now is whether that contract is real, or whether it's something to protect him from fans until the Summer transfer window where he'll be subsequently sold on to Madrid. Like how Kaka managed to sign for Madrid whilst on international duty, because he didn't want death threats like the Man City offer...

EDIT: not that surprising given how it's panned out, I'll admit that I was sure that he was leaving.

Edited by The General

Still feels a bit like the Ronaldo deal, Alex Ferguson probably asked him to sign to boost the transfer fee up substancially if he sells him in January/the Summer.

My mate said that to me yesterday. The contract he signed probably doubles his price tag.