Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

Lucas was a talented Brazilian attacking midfielder, brought into the Premiership and then played by Benitez as a battling defensive midfielder.

No wonder he's been berated by much of the media. With a bit of attacking freedom he'll probably thrive more and more.

His career with us, if he stays, will benefit massively from being played in a deeper position than he did in Brazil. It's like Ferguson using Anderson as more of a central midfielder or Wenger playing Walcott from a wide position, if you can make the player more rounded by altering his position then you do it.

If Johnson is one of your better defensive players, no wonder you are struggling. Some guys respond well to praise, others need a rocket up their arse, and frankly, Johnson hasn't been playing that well. This hasn't only come out of Hodgson, it has been mentioned in newspaper editorials a couple of times during the seasons. The suggestion with him though may be more that he is out of shape or unfit, one of the two.

In honour of their win this weekend, it's time for a Mackem dance party!

...maybe not.

EDIT: Taken from Zenden's wiki:

Boudewijn "Bolo" Zenden 11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png pronunciation (help·info); born 15 August 1976 in Maastricht) is a Dutch footballer who plays for Sunderland as a midfielder. He is perhaps best known for his fantastic dancing and was allegedly targeted for the most recent series of popular television show, strictly come dancing.

:lol:

• Like 1

Terry out for months. Alex out for 6 to 8 weeks. Now we have to pair Ivanovic with Ferreira (see: Sunderland result) or Bruma (see: guy who is apparently bad enough to prefer playing Ferreira - again, see: Sunderland result) over our most difficult run of league games in the whole season.

This is verging on Tottenham levels of centre-back shittiness. <_<

If they are not alowed (not sure if they are or aren't), it's close enough to January to make it worth signing him to make sure no-one else gets him, and working with him in training until January when the 25 registered players can be changed.

My understanding of the 25 man squad was that it can be amended via players being bought/sold in the usual ways (i.e. in January, or bringing in free transfers) provided they don't then go over the 25 man limit.

So in Aston Villa's case, they have only used 22 of their 25 senior player slots (the rest are U21). I therefore don't see why they wouldn't be able to add Pires to their squad.

Edit: Confirmed in The Mirror's explanation of the squad rules:

9) Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this case they can add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.

I know it's not cool to be happy about people getting hurt but having to play Carrick and Fletcher in defense leading to Fulham absolutely raping us really hurt us last season and I can see it having the same effect on Chelsea. United have Wigan,Blackburn and Blackpool up next we have to make sure we win all 3 cause we have been throwing away too many paints.

Yes free transfers can be registered for the 25 man squad at any time. I believe we registered 22 players. And I don't have a problem with this deal. He will inspire the youngsters and his advice and presence will be fantastic. He can still pick out a pass, and even if he can give 20-30 minutes a game I don't care.

I know it's not cool to be happy about people getting hurt but having to play Carrick and Fletcher in defense leading to Fulham absolutely raping us really hurt us last season and I can see it having the same effect on Chelsea. United have Wigan,Blackburn and Blackpool up next we have to make sure we win all 3 cause we have been throwing away too many paints.

Allow me to quote you the exact post I made on a Chelsea forum earlier today:

You know those seasons where Manchester United have not quite managed to win anything and they usually use the excuse of injuries?

^ Us in six months' time. ¬_¬

Not that United fans are predictable or anything.

Seeing as we around a dozen injuries, this would be an inspired signing right now.

No. Inspiring would surely be the return of Juan the great - kicking lazy Carew out of the side for good and netting a few goals until January. :shifty: