Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

Personally I'd do the same thing if I were him. Go to City a club clearly on the rise, got a boat load more money, be essentially guaranteed a first team place, something he never had at Man United and you don't even have to move house! He was never a United player anyway so he never moved persay, considering he had no particular loyalty to United, I understand.

Or alternatively players can be allowed to factor money into their career decisions and not be crucified for it. You know, like real people.

But if they then start crying about not playing enough football then you can with all rights take the piss out of them. Looking at you Shay Given.

• Like 1

Hey I'm all into making more money just like the next guy but I just thought he might have shown a bit of loyalty to the club that took him in for 2 years. And then after that we offered him the wage and contract he wanted only to see him just get up and leave when something 'better' came along. The anger towards him comes more from the feeling of betrayal more than the money.

Hey I'm all into making more money just like the next guy but I just thought he might have shown a bit of loyalty to the club that took him in for 2 years.

So what's the cut-off point before which they're allowed to make their own decisions without a sense of obligation? 18 months? One year? Or perhaps it's as simple as the length of the contract for which he was signed - which in this case, lo, was just two years.

And then after that we offered him the wage and contract he wanted only to see him just get up and leave when something 'better' came along.

What a shocking display. I've never heard of any dignified human being accepting an offer better than his original demands. Disgraceful.

• Like 1

Or alternatively players can be allowed to factor money into their career decisions and not be crucified for it. You know, like real people.

But if they then start crying about not playing enough football then you can with all rights take the piss out of them. Looking at you Shay Given.

In fairness to Given, when he was bought, he was under the impression (and he was) City's first choice. I don't think anyone anticipated Joe Hart would become quite so good at the rate he did. But it's not like Given expected to be the #2 when he signed, so I can see why he'd want to leave for first team football.

Hey I'm all into making more money just like the next guy but I just thought he might have shown a bit of loyalty to the club that took him in for 2 years.

So what's the cut-off point before which they're allowed to make their own decisions without a sense of obligation? 18 months? One year? Or perhaps it's as simple as the length of the contract for which he was signed - which in this case, lo, was just two years.

And then after that we offered him the wage and contract he wanted only to see him just get up and leave when something 'better' came along.

What a shocking display. I've never heard of any dignified human being accepting an offer better than his original demands. Disgraceful.

Right decision or not for Tevez to move, he still treated United like shit and that's why we boo him.

• Admin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/16/manchester-united-19-times-banner-anfield

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has told a Twitter follower: "I'll put u asleep within 10 seconds" after being provoked on the social networking site.

The 25-year-old England star, who has a following of over 570,000, was replying to an abusive tweet on Tuesday.

Rooney suggested a meeting at the training ground, tweeting: "hope u turn up if u don't gonna tell everyone ur scared u little nit. I'll be waiting."

In an effort to defuse the situation, Rooney tweeted: "Haha bit of banter".

The Twitter account belonging to the follower who taunted Rooney was subsequently deleted.

A number of footballers have already been reprimanded for inappropriate use of Twitter this season.

West Ham striker Carlton Cole was recently charged by the Football Association for improper conduct for remarks made during England's 1-1 draw with Ghana at Wembley in March.

While Liverpool striker Ryan Babel was fined £10,000 for a Twitter post and warned about his future conduct after being linked to a mocked-up picture of referee Howard Webb in a Manchester United shirt after a 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford in the FA Cup.

Rooney was banned for two matches in April after accepting a Football Association charge for swearing into a TV camera after scoring a hat-trick at West Ham.

On Wednesday night at the Manchester United awards, Rooney's overhead kick against Manchester City at Old Trafford in February was the clear choice for goal of the season.

Portuguese winger Nani received the players' player of the year award, while Javier Hernandez was voted fans' player of the year.

Edited by Lineker

See, to a team like Bristol Rovers - or any other lower league team for that matter - loyalty can only go so far. There is only so much of a commitment you can make before you have to think of number one. But there is always a way to leave a club. The way many of these guys just lie to the fans, telling them what they want to hear... I can only liken it to a relationship. You're there in a stable relationship with a girl (or guy, depending on what you're into). You're telling her how happy you are, how you don't want to fuck those other girls... until the really hot model comes along and you just go off with her. If you're the person getting fucked over, of course you're going to feel lied to.

I think players are just told to follow the PR stunt of "tell them you love everything about the club", even if it's a lie. Which works so well, until they leave. I'd rather players just say the truth in those situations: "I love playing here at Bristol Rovers, but if Manchester United or Liverpool give me a call, I'm gone. But thank you for supporting me." That would be fine.

EDIT: As for Rooney... I don't care. He's quite obviously a tit, but if he's getting abuse then why can he not give it back? Although arguing over the internet, as we all know, is serious business :shifty:

Edited by XEON BSIG

Right decision or not for Tevez to move, he still treated United like shit and that's why we boo him.

And thats why we love him to death. :wub:

• Like 1

Hahahahahaha, you're fucking kidding, right? This isn't anything to do with being anti-scum, but how can you criticise anyone for turning down an offer to double their wage? Fair enough, boo him for it but you're out of your mind if you wouldn't do the same thing.... even I'd sign for Man Utd if they were going to double my wage. It's not anything to do with greed, its just common sense... if he'd refused to sign for you because you weren't offering "enough" (hi ashley cole), fair enough but you can't blame someone for taking a contract that earns you twice as much as another

And I'd bet that Ronaldo gets booed if he ever plays at old trafford.

I'd be very surprised if Ronaldo was booed - it's not so much now, but for a time after they were still singing his name. It was more to do with the fact that he'd said for ages that one day he wanted to play for Real, so was never gonna be an OT lifer.

There may be a tit or two in the crowd that boo Ronaldo if he returns to OT, but I'd put money on it that pretty much every United fan gives him a great reception. That guy walked away with his head held high and gets nothing but respect. He's always said great things about the club, Ferguson, the fans and so on. People hate on him, but he's shown he's a classy guy in that respect, and that's not even taking into account everything he did for our club, which was a sensational period.

I wouldn't boo Tevez, because I couldn't give a shit what he does really. He left for more money and went to MANCHESTER CITY for crying out loud, so it's pretty understandable that most United fans are going to shit on him. Not to mention he doesn't exactly speak of our club highly and has put down SAF in the past. That's the big difference really. Oh and that little thing of him saying he wouldn't dream of signing for a massive rival team like Liverpool, only to sign for City, but hey, money talks for many footballers, his choice, no surprise he gets booed by United fans though.

Ronaldo would never get booed at United because he's a legend and treated the club with respect. It's the fact that we let a player come on loan to our club for 2 seasons with first option to sign him, paid all his wages, started him in 75% of his games played, played ball with him in his contract negotiations and generally bent over backwards for him to stay at the club that he said he loved. Fair enough it may have been the best decision for Carlos Tevez and his family to move for all that money, but with the way he treated United and us fans, he will always get booed.

And if any player did a similar thing at any other club then I'm sure their fans would feel betrayed and boo him too.

• Like 1

• Admin
A Premier League Tribunal will on Thursday start to consider the circumstances that led to Martin O'Neill's abrupt departure from the manager's job at Aston Villa.

O'Neill has refused to shed any light on why he left Villa last August.

The tribunal follows the failure of a mediation process to resolve his dispute with the club late last year.

The Premier League Managers' Arbitration tribunal is only the third involving a manager in recent years.

The other two concerned Alan Curbishley and West Ham in 2010, and Kevin Keegan and Newcastle in 2009.

All contracts with Premier League managers include a clause ensuring they and the clubs attempt mediation, so this tribunal is a Court of Last Resort - where other attempts at mediation have failed.

This Premier League model, chaired by a QC, is designed to avoid the expense and time of going to the High Court.

It will be up to the panel chairman to decide how much of the evidence, submissions of the parties, and the panel's findings are made public.

In the Keegan case they were very damaging for Newcastle United, who had to pay £2m in damages plus interest as they were ruled to be in breach of a term in his contract.

Curbishley also won his case for constructive dismissal, with West Ham paying an undisclosed compensation fee.

The tribunal could sit for at least a week and there is no deadline for a ruling to be announced.