Superman: Man of Steel ***SPOILERS***

livid

Once I realized aquaman could at any time summon sea otters, he became cool with me.

Hey batman what are you doing in your down time? Brood? Supes? Woman troubles? And speaking of woman troubles, what's up Diana?

Yeah just gonna sit here surrounded by sea otters. Eating shit off our tummies. Yuuuuuuup. Good life.

Okay, actual movie thoughts:

It became a good movie for a solid stretch of time once it hit Lois and Jor-El's jailbreak scene, got even better starting from scene between Superman and Not Ursa & Not Non. Maybe veered away from good for a bit at the dialogue at the start of the final battle which was hilariously "there is no need for subtext let's just say our character motivations aloud at each other!!!" But god, it took a long time to actually get to good.

Mostly I just thought it was kind of lifeless? Henry Cavill isn't a bad actor but there was no spark there. Superman is larger than life and he just isn't. Amy Adams was fine. Michael Shannon was very good but he's Michael Shannon, so duh. My favorite performance was by the actress who played Not Ursa. I can appreciate the very 2013 touch that of course people would have actually found or come close to finding the movie's Fortress of Solitude equivalent, and so that was going to alter things a lot, and I liked that the human characters got to do more than stand around and point at Superman and be helpless otherwise. There were a bunch of good ideas that didn't really turn into anything more than a decent movie. Being a movie directed by Zack Snyder will do that, I guess.

Aqua-Man needs a movie. They just need to not actually call him Aqua-Man.

James Cameron already made it. $116m on opening weekend. Vince Chase is a star!

Really? That's pretty good. Now we just need at least one or two more heroes to get their own films and they've got a chance of making it work a lot better. I'd probably say try for Wonder Woman and Flash, but I wouldn't be opposed to a Green Lantern reboot, or even just a continuation of that franchise with a new, better film. Release it in like, 2015 and that's about the same time between the first Hulk film and the second... and that did okay for itself.

I read something that if Man of Steel was a success, Goyer kind of has everything in mind for what he would like to establish the DC Universe and Justice League would be around 2017

The thing that bugged me was the serious lack of humor and the immense amount of death. Krypton destroyed. Metropolis pretty much decimated except for upper west side it seemed. In fact the only three people who survived downtown were Perry and his two workers I never got the name of and all those guys on the plane died (Dr Hamilton :( ) and didn't seem that the Colonel had the hots for Faora?

Also Zod's plan was out of sorts. He couldn't have looked at Mars and brought that Spider machine with him?

I'm not very familiar with alot of Aqua-Man but I thought his name was Arthur?

I think it's a bit better, because it creates the problems of him being a leader for his people, who are constantly facing threats because of the world above. So he doesn't trust land dwellers, and he may even be seen as a villain originally.

So,Namor from Marvel?

I'm not very familiar with alot of Aqua-Man but I thought his name was Arthur?

I think it's a bit better, because it creates the problems of him being a leader for his people, who are constantly facing threats because of the world above. So he doesn't trust land dwellers, and he may even be seen as a villain originally.

So,Namor from Marvel?

They ARE very similar characters.

Namor just fucks more babes.

Okay, actual movie thoughts:

It became a good movie for a solid stretch of time once it hit Lois and Jor-El's jailbreak scene, got even better starting from scene between Superman and Not Ursa & Not Non. Maybe veered away from good for a bit at the dialogue at the start of the final battle which was hilariously "there is no need for subtext let's just say our character motivations aloud at each other!!!" But god, it took a long time to actually get to good.

Mostly I just thought it was kind of lifeless? Henry Cavill isn't a bad actor but there was no spark there. Superman is larger than life and he just isn't. Amy Adams was fine. Michael Shannon was very good but he's Michael Shannon, so duh. My favorite performance was by the actress who played Not Ursa. I can appreciate the very 2013 touch that of course people would have actually found or come close to finding the movie's Fortress of Solitude equivalent, and so that was going to alter things a lot, and I liked that the human characters got to do more than stand around and point at Superman and be helpless otherwise. There were a bunch of good ideas that didn't really turn into anything more than a decent movie. Being a movie directed by Zack Snyder will do that, I guess.

I think for the most part the problems with the film can be summed up with "Zack Snyder isn't a very good director."

I mean, he's capable of making a decent film, but Man of Steel is kind of the exception to the rule. It's why I'm happy enough with the film, but he's the last person I want to see given control of the DC Universe... or another Man of Steel film, for that matter. Let's take the lesson we learned from Jon Favreau and Iron Man 2, DC.

The thing that bugged me was the serious lack of humor and the immense amount of death. Krypton destroyed. Metropolis pretty much decimated except for upper west side it seemed. In fact the only three people who survived downtown were Perry and his two workers I never got the name of and all those guys on the plane died (Dr Hamilton :( ) and didn't seem that the Colonel had the hots for Faora?

Also Zod's plan was out of sorts. He couldn't have looked at Mars and brought that Spider machine with him?

I think the idea is that the codex to bring back the people of Krypton was written into the DNA of Superman. So Zod turned on the 'spider machine' to kill Superman by changing Earth's atmosphere to that of Krypton's. If he had of done that on Mars then Superman wouldn't have been there and he wouldn't have been able to get his hands on the codex/Superman. He would have had a planet similar to Krypton but no people to live on it. So it had to be Earth.

I mentioned this on Twitter but I think it's actually pretty annoying that any sites are actually covering that story because it's just not logical at all. They'd have to be filming like, right now, in order for it to even have an outside shot at a late 2014 release date.

Except it won't happen. Even with Iron Man 2, it was 2 years after the first one. So I mean, I guess you could be skeptical about it being in 2015 instead but I don't think that'll happen either because Summer 2015 is already jam-packed.