nPower Football League Thread 2010/2011

Adam

Bristol Rovers appoint Dave Penney as manager.

By all accounts, not overly disappointed by this. He's got the experience for our predicament at the moment to help galvanize the team and move them forward. If he's on a short-term deal, then it may work out well for us. If he does well, do what we can to keep him. If not, we get someone else in to rebuild. I'm pleased and hope he can have a positive affect on the team.

Adam from Doncaster (AdamDRFC), you have experienced his management of your team. Tell me - what can we expect from him? :)

Also, in sadder news, Macclesfield Town's Richard Butcher has died at the age of 29. Found on Sunday morning whilst the wife was away. Such a shame for his family and the club, seeing as they lost Keith Alexander 10 months ago too. My condolences to his family and friends.

Macclesfield Town have announced that midfielder Richard Butcher has died at the age of 29.

The ex-Kettering, Oldham, Peterborough, Notts County and Lincoln City man's death comes less than a year since the loss of Macc boss Keith Alexander.

Macc chairman Mike Rance told BBC Radio Manchester: "We're devastated just 10 months after Keith Alexander passed on.

"We're facing the same sort of issues and nobody at the club can get their mind around what's happened."

Rance added: "Richard was an exemplary professional and a thoroughly likeable young man, a total role model for young professionals.

"He didn't turn up at training this morning and our manager Gary Simpson was concerned, as it's not like him.

"After investigation, we discovered his wife was away and that he'd passed away overnight.

"There's no indication of anything other than natural causes but we don't know any more at this point in time.

"We are just struggling to cope at this point in time that such a young and likeable individual has been lost."

Butcher only joined the Silkmen in the summer on a two-year deal following a successful loan spell, having initially been signed by Alexander, for the fifth time in his career, on 9 February 2010.

But Alexander died less than a month later, on 3 March 2010.

No details have been given regarding his death.

Butcher started his career at Northampton before moving to Rushden & Diamonds in 2000, however he did not make his first-team debut in the game until moving to Kettering the following year.

He was then signed for the first time by Alexander at Lincoln in 2002, and moved on to Oldham in 2005.

However, just four months later, he was on loan at the Imps again before joining Alexander again at Peterborough in 2006.

Butcher played at London Road for a season before joining Notts County, where he made 88 appearances.

He rejoined Lincoln when Alexander signed him for a third time in 2009, bringing his appearance tally for the club up to 142.

The Northampton-born player played 17 times for Macc, including nine appearances this season, the last of which came on Monday, 3 January in the 2-0 home defeat by Rotherham.

Magpies chief executive Jim Rodwell, was at Rushden with Butcher, told his club's website: "It is a massive shock to hear the news, he was my boot-boy during my time with Rushden & Diamonds.

"He was a great personality with a lot of friends and he'll be sorely missed."

CREDIT: BBC SPORT

Edited by XEON BSIG

Richard Butcher's death is shocking. Very sad, to die so young. And on top of that it's at Macclesfield too. Really tough 12 months for them in that respect. Rest in Peace.

Penney is a good appointment, I hope he does well for you guys. It didn't really work out for him at Oldham but he is a hero here and always will be. Played some entertaining football to help us through two divisions. It's quite direct and he always relied on 4-4-2. I think he took us as far as he could which was the only reason he left, having done all that he did for us we can never say he did a thing wrong here. Very likeable guy and I always felt a good tactician. Also he's not afraid of making big decisions - an incident on a team holiday led to him outright sacking two club legends in Steve Foster and Tim Ryan. Good luck to him at the Gas, always liked the team.

I think he'll keep you up no problem this season.

Darren Ferguson in talks to become Peterborough manager again.

Darren Ferguson has been named manager of Peterborough United on a four-and-a-half-year contract, just 14 months after leaving by mutual consent.

Can't see the logic of signing the same manager you sacked just over a year ago. Granted he got them promoted to the Championship but then failed, then failed in the Championship with Preston too. So what are they gonna expect, for him to get them back up to the Championship then fail again?? Crazy if you ask me.

Darren Ferguson in talks to become Peterborough manager again.

Darren Ferguson has been named manager of Peterborough United on a four-and-a-half-year contract, just 14 months after leaving by mutual consent.

Can't see the logic of signing the same manager you sacked just over a year ago. Granted he got them promoted to the Championship but then failed, then failed in the Championship with Preston too. So what are they gonna expect, for him to get them back up to the Championship then fail again?? Crazy if you ask me.

Think of all the Man Utd and Stoke fringe players that they can get on loan though (at least until junior is sacked again).

Edited by Grounded Wingman

Eddie Howe is now set to become the new Burnley manager. Upsetting to see him go but it's a big rung up the ladder for him, Charlton or Palace would have been stupid. Hopefully Bournemouth can get a good replacement in so all of his work doesn't go to waste.

Even though I know as a Charlton fan I should rub my hands with glee at the prospect of Bournemouth slipping down the table, I'm still disappointed to hear that Howe could leave. I've always admired his loyalty and commitment to the club, and while obviously he's blameless for leaving to a big club like Burnley, I would have liked to have seen how far he could have taken them.

Speaking of the Addicks, Chris Powell looks set to be appointed our new boss. Powell was a great player for us, but personally I wanted someone with more experience than a caretaker manager spell at Leicester. Let's see what he can do.