Minecraft!

Sousa

My new world is beautiful. I stumbled into a perfectly sized cave that I'm mining in the mountains on one side of a lake, then in the middle there's a cute little island and then on the other side there's a stunning area of low hills, covered with trees, which is where I go for my wood. There's also some smaller caves dotted around. The setting it just so perfect. I've built a couple of wooden jetties with torches so I can find my way easily between them and then I think I'll build some cabins in the wooded area, something on the island and then a little mining community on the other bank.

That's the problem I have with Minecraft though. I fall in love with one area and never go exploring further afield in case I never find my original area again...

My new world is beautiful. I stumbled into a perfectly sized cave that I'm mining in the mountains on one side of a lake, then in the middle there's a cute little island and then on the other side there's a stunning area of low hills, covered with trees, which is where I go for my wood. There's also some smaller caves dotted around. The setting it just so perfect. I've built a couple of wooden jetties with torches so I can find my way easily between them and then I think I'll build some cabins in the wooded area, something on the island and then a little mining community on the other bank.

That's the problem I have with Minecraft though. I fall in love with one area and never go exploring further afield in case I never find my original area again...

I was the same way with not wanting to venture far and losing my start. That is, until I got the Minimap mod. Not only do you get a minimap, you're also able to create and set waypoints, so you never get lost enough to not find home. Check it out, definitely worth it.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

1.8 HAS BEEN LEAKED :w00t:

Ahhh... That is all

Notch also approves.

(I am fine with you using it. Make sure you get it from the leaked url we are hosting, though)

This is the link referred to by notch. It's the Pre-Release version. Which I'll stick to for now

http://assets.minecr...e/minecraft.jar

Edited by Rocky Feller

Why did you have to do that to me, Rocky? Now I'm all 1.8'd and shitting my pants. I found a small lake with a hole in the middle, leading to a giant waterfall to the bottom of the map, inside a giant cavern.

Inside this cavern, I've found an abandoned looking minecart track and maze, filled with chests with loot. I turn a corner, and BAM! Enderman about 10 feet from me with a wood block. DO THEY FUCKING BUILD CRAZY SHIT?!? Pics in a min.

EDIT: Pics in spoiler.

20110909205123.png20110909205252.png

The waterfall to the bottom, and a view of one side of the Cavern from the bottom.

20110909205323.png20110909205336.png

My 'what the fuck is that wood thing' moment, along with the entrance to this.. thing. (Torches are mine, everything else is.. Enderman's?)

20110909205356.png20110909205404.png

And it goes on and on like this, with turns, splits, ect. Chests along the way, in which I've found from bread to diamond in. Thinking back, I hope I didn't piss the Enderman off by stealing his stashes.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

Damn. This has to come out the weekend I'm going away..

Endermen do build things, but those structures you found underground are automatically generated structures that come with the world. They're basically dungeons, and that one in particular is an abandoned mineshaft.

Also I've just had a bit of a go with the 1.8 pre-release, and just a heads up on a rather major glitch: trying to use the furnace for smelting things has a high chance of crashing your game.

I was crafting tools and then decided I didn't want the 2nd one I had set up on the workbench so I pressec escape to back out. The stuff dropped to the floor as usual, except I couldn't pick it up. It would only pick up 1 stick which I couldn't add to my pile. If I threw it away, it would just become another item I couldn't pick up, thus providing some theoretical way for me to throw an infinite number of sticks.

Yeah...anyway, I saw some buildings near me so I went to look. Kinda interesting but kinda creepy with no one living there. I holed up in one for the night and the mobs descended on the village, including an Enderman. We seemed to share glances through the window but never seemingly to the point where he wanted to murder me. Not sure what happened there.

Well the Enderman only is triggered if the reticle is centered on them

So I've decided that because of the furnace glitch, and the fact that the pre-release 1.8 build hasn't been particularly stable for me at the best of times, the best way I could spend my time on Minecraft is dicking about in Creative mode. Flying about is awesome, unlimited resources and any block you want has rendered the TooManyItems mod useless, and being able to just fly away from a Creeper is the best thing ever.

Speaking of Creepers. Look what I found around a corner in a mineshaft (spoilered for size):

20110910211616.png