The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

Most of them were substitute appearences I'm betting. Anyways nothing I can say will change your mind, you've obviously made your mind up he's shit and isn't good enough for Liverpool. Ironic really, a United fan trying to big up a Chelsea player, who was a City trainee, to a Liverpool fan...

Villa, actually :P Maybe the irony that statement will exist in...10 years /troll.

The fact that Manchester City didn't offer him a contract when they had fucking BENJANI on the books is enough to convince everyone otherwise.

I really don't think it's a case of Chelsea not wanting to play Sturridge (or politically not being able to pick him) but more Ancelotti seeing things on the training ground that we don't. Sturridge is seen as the fourth choice striker (behind Kalou) and that can't just be Ancelottis unwillingness to experiment.

It just looks like another Ryan Babel, a kid with potential that just hasn't delivered and, because we're so used to seeing players get better and better... we can't comprehend when they just drop in form age 22.

Danny Sturridge is a 20-goal a season striker

When?

When he finds a club that plays him week in, week out, he will be a 20-goal a season striker no doubt.

That is a pile of shit. He is yet to prove himself. Yes he has potential but to say he will get 20 goals a season is very premature as rockbox said himself.

Edited by ONO

Danny Sturridge is a 20-goal a season striker

When?

When he finds a club that plays him week in, week out, he will be a 20-goal a season striker no doubt.

On Football Manager maybe, but in the real world he's done nothing to justify that assumption at all.

Fuck selling Torres now. It's not like there wouldn't be bids in the summer if we kept him.

There'd be bids alright, much lower ones with all clubs knowing he wants out after spending half a season not giving a flying fuck while playing for Liverpool. If Chelsea bid £40 million they'd be stupid and stubborn not to accept it.

No. Selling your players with three days to go in the mid-season transfer window should be avoided unless you really have no other way out. We don't desperately need the money, his current form is good, not all players sulk their way through every game when they want to leave (and really, how much sulking can somebody who's not an utter cunt do? There's a long way to go, he'd have to be a prize tool, and completely disinterested in football to let this affect his form for the next four months) and we're at a vital crossroads in the season where a good run would see us qualify for Europe and a bad run would see us fighting relegation. I don't think he'll sulk his way through every game if the team keeps playing well and he gets chances to score. I assume he wants to play for Spain at some point.

I guess it comes down to how much of a professional you think he is. He was mopey for ages this season but he's perked up under Kenny - so maybe, while he obviously did want away, it was the manager he had an issue with and not necessarily putting effort into a team he doesn't want to be at. I think he's probably the kind of guy who would realise, if we didn't sell him this window, that he's stuck with us for another few months and get his head down, a la Fabregas. I don't think the fans would give him too much stick because he's such a popular player, unless he starts playing shit. I think it's hard to have an argument with his wish to leave anyway.

I just think if he wants to go then theres not much we can do really, but the timing is rather awkward in the fact that we've got 3 days to do a deal and then that isn't much time to bring in replacements or improve the squad.

Don't think I want us to get Sturridge as part of the deal anyway, rather get 50 or 60mil. If we could get 50mil + Anelka (and Yossi back :wub::P) i'd take that.

Edit: If he stays in the window I think he'll get the odd boos from some sections of the crowd but the majority I can't see booing him cause if I remember with like Mascherano at the start of the season when we knew he wanted to go I dont think he got a bad reception. But yeh as Pesci's said he's been moapy and had a bit of a cob on at times during the season but under Kenny its like 3 goals in 4/5 games. I'd rather him leave in the summer though if he still wants to leave rather than 3 days before the transfer window shuts

Edited by davidmarrio

Chelsea made an offer of £35m and that looks like the offer that they're going to stick with. Hence Torres trying to hand in a transfer request to remove the player bonus in an attempt to drive his price down.

Chelsea may have the money but it's looking as though they're viewing Torres as a cheaper Aguero; the second Liverpool say £40m+ Chelsea will just bid a larger amount for Aguero, whilst Torres will raise hell with Liverpool FC for killing off his potential move.

This is the same argument with Charlie Adam, Blackpool don't want to sell him this late and are willing to kill off the only chance for him to move to a club like Liverpool in order to grind out a transfer fee.

Although, you gotta admit, there is something delightfully ironic about Liverpool waiting until late to finalise a deal with Suarez only to categorically deny a deal over Torres because there's "not enough time" rolleyes.gif

Although, you gotta admit, there is something delightfully ironic about Liverpool waiting until late to finalise a deal with Suarez only to categorically deny a deal over Torres because there's "not enough time" rolleyes.gif

Not really, unless you're completely unaware of how the transfers have developed.

We've been negotiating with Ajax for over a week, and Suarez made it clear fairly early on that he wanted to move to Liverpool. Whilst Ajax have been playing hardball with the price they've also been aware that he wants to go, so they've had the chance to look for and try to line up replacements.

Chelsea and Torres have started this ball rolling barely three days before the transfer window closes.

There's a massive difference.

This Transfer Window is a perfect time to sell Torres. Prices are generally inflated in January and if Chelsea came back with a £50m offer I would snatch their hand off. If what we read in the media is true, he wants to go. I don't think you will get a better price for him than right now unless he stays and scores 15 goals in the next 4 months.

Chelsea would probably make a reduced bid in the summer but if the word's out that he wants to go, I'm not sure they'll be the only ones bidding. I'd rather take a bid £5m or so lighter in the summer and keep him for now, because qualifying for Europe should be the priority and we haven't got any other proven goalscorers in the squad besides Gerrard.